The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti Glare (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JasonK
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of JasonK
Hey all,
Here's a pitch item I'm sure some of you will be familiar with as it's been around a long time. You'll usually find it a car shows, motorcycle shows, and home shows. The demo is pretty good and entertaining. It's the Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti Glare. See attached pics.

Anyway, I've done some high-level research on this over the years and it seems there's it's one of those items that only a few companies make and it's held in a bit of secrecy (all PO boxes and no websites - so I suspect it's just individual pitchmen). Funny enough, this product is briefly mentioned in "The Compleat Pitchman" by Don Boles. In his introduction, he's talking about some of the early days of the art of pitching and how product demonstrations have legitimized products of today. "Or perhaps he hacked a piece of glycerine soap into cubes and hawked them as a sure cure for fogging eyeglasses".

I've tested the glycerine theory (soaps, shampoos...etc) and it works. It's really about the surfactants in those products that prevent the fogging. BUT, I'm still intrigued my this funny little pink stick of mystery. I think this evolved out of WWII as something given to enlisted men as an anti-fog stick.

Anyway, my real question is, does anybody know who really know if this is a mass produced product by these companies below or if they are just pouring this glycerine/wax concoction into molds and creating it themselves?

Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti - Glare (Ace Enterprises 16810 Overlook Way, Lake Milton OH 44429)
Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti Glare (Elkin Manufacturing Co. 948 Barcelona Santa Barbara, CA 93105)
Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti Glare (Hawaii Business Show Enterprises PO Box 383985 Hawaii 96738)

https://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77......qyzb.jpg
https://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77......gvze.jpg
https://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p77......f8lj.jpg
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
This reminds me of a product I used to sell for years for cleaning glasses. I stopped when someone had the audacity to murder my supplier, cut his body up into small pieces and stuff said pieces into a plastic bag. Most impolite behaviour I thought at the time. I may tell the tale if I ever get time.

I still remember the fanny (British grafters call the script "the fanny") It went like this. "once on one side, once on the other side, guaranteed not to scratch the lens. Now with an ordinary handkerchief or a Kleenex tissue you wipe it clean. Now you ladies know that when you do the cooking, when you put the kettle on, when you open the oven door you get your glasses steamed up, don't you? Well, once you put this on your glasses will not mist, steam up or get dirty for another 24 hours. Just breathe on that sir......see? Your glasses are now clear. Try them on. What do you think?"

I can't remember the rest but that was the gist of it. The punters had no idea that they were getting Fairly Liquid, a very well known detergent on their glasses but that is another story for another time. I have led a very wicked life I am afraid...………..
JasonK
View Profile
New user
Ohio
33 Posts

Profile of JasonK
LOL...Yeah, I have a feeling it's literally just soap or wax of some kind. I suspect this product could be made with glycerine, gelatin or wax, and a bit of food coloring.

Here in the US, I usually see just a mirror and a steam machine being used for the pitch. I don't remember what the script for the pitch is though.
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
I once knew a most worthy grafter named David Cronin who not only pitched magic he was a master of what is known as the "blink fake" which was another variation on the product we are discussing. He actually sold a magic kit to the Queen and was very proud of it for the rest of his life. Apparently Her Majesty said to him, "Mr Magic---you are wonderful" From that point on he mentioned to all and sundry "When the Queen of England tells you that you are wonderful it is the highest compliment you can imagine"

I actually showed a card trick to the Queen's husband when I was sixteen years old and was gravely disappointed that he did not ask his wife to grant me a knighthood over the matter.

But back to the "Blink Fake". It was for cleaning eyeglasses and other things too. I remember he used to have candlesticks on the joint which he also cleaned. A famous Scottish grafter who admired David growled to me once, "Five quid? Not bad for a tub of soap, is it?" I can't remember the price so I am just saying "five quid" for the sake of argument but I am sure you get the point.

David worked in Harrods for years and would import Svengali decks from China by the lorry load. He always wore a pin stripe suit and was known as Mr Magic.
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
371 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
Spending ⅔ of my life in hotels, it’s a practice to take a wash cloth and a dab of shampoo then rub it into the mirror.
The glass won’t fog up after that.
It lasts the entire stay.

I published a great bizarre magic effect in The New Invocation back in the 1990s by Pascal Clairmont.
It used a piece of glycerine soap in a NW or Swami gimmick.
A piece of glass took the place of paper.
The participant could state a name or number, when he breathed on the glass it fogged up except where the number appeared, apparently written by spirits on the glass.

Because I’m a bad man, when visiting someone’s home and in a bathroom with a shower, I like to write BEWARE in soap on the mirror.
Later, after I’m long gone, when an unsuspecting mark steps out of a shower... written on the steamed mirror is my message!

So, I suspect it is merely soap.
As Don Bowles reminds us 😉

Peace
Docc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Gibs Formula 3818466 Anti Glare (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL