We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Premonition 2.0 by Jack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jack Poulin
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
185 Posts

Profile of Jack Poulin
Hello everyone, when my Penguin Act Lecture was filmed on August 20 2019, Premonition 2.0 was not ready yet. I taught Premonition 1.0 instead, which is my take on the book test. Premonition 1.0 is perfect for parlor or stage but not really practical for strolling magic and it doesn't reset automatically. Since I really wanted a strolling/automatic reset version, I developed 2.0. I offer it for free for anyone who has my Penguin lecture. I just filmed a 12 minutes tutorial of it. It's easy to do, visual and highly commercial. I have been using it in real world strolling settings and it kills each time. They really have no clue. Penguin's Shaun Dunn helped me with the development of this. So ... on the opening words of my Penguin act, Dan Harlan say something about my English accent, what was it ? If you PM me the right answer, I'll PM you the link to Premonition 2.0.

Hope you'll like it.

Jack
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
570 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Having watched both here is my takeaway:

Both are very good, and have their own advantages.

With Premonition 1.0:

Quote:
A prediction is made and 2 spectators make free choices to choose a page number and a word anywhere in that page. An un-gimmicked pocket dictionary is used. Reputation making material.

* With this effect I like that the prediction is made on a notepad during the presentation, it gives it more of a mentalism effect feel.
* The first spectator picks any number from 1 - 100 (which applies to the page number) and the word is selected by using a deck of cards to stop anywhere (no forcing to a certain spot/card in deck) - I really like how both of these selections are done, making each a random selection to the spectator. To me this also plays to the mentalism aspect.
* Great for Stage/Parlor

With Premonition 2.0:

Quote:
A prediction is taken out and set aside not to be touched again until the revelation. A pack of red and blue cards is used (showing a nice color changing display) and 2 spectators make free choices from each of the colored sections of cards to choose a page number and a word anywhere in that page. The prediction is opened to a beautiful display of the selection. An un-gimmicked pocket dictionary is used.

* With this one I think it is more of an open prediction type effect, but both spectators get truly free selections on which cards they choose.
* With typical prediction effects you open it to show the prediction, which is nice, but with this one you are getting an extra twist/surprise ending that I do not want to spoil, but it is a very nice touch by Jack.
* Suitable for Close-up with an instant reset built in for table hopping.

----

Which one do I personally prefer? At first I was leaning toward 1.0 because I love how the spectator can freely choose any page number of the book, no fanning through the pages asking the spectator to say 'stop', just pick any number between 1 and 100 and that is the page you turn to. But as I think about it more, I really like the finale of 2.0. Jack's revelation used for 2.0 is very memorable and the item he uses I think is very beautiful. I remember coming across this 'item' in a vacation last year and purchased it because I thought it was neat, but Jack's thinking and his idea to incorporate it into an effect is so cool, and reinforces why I enjoyed his lecture (and the extra touches) so much.

I think it really comes down to personal preference between the two, they are both great. I have seen a lot of book effects lately and for me to want to use these two (as the occasion/condition arises) speaks to how strong (and workable) I think each of these are. Jack was very gracious to those of us who have the Penguin lecture to go through the effort and actually film another variation. So awesome of him to do that.

Anyways, I would encourage everybody to pick up the lecture (and this addition), the lecture ranks right up there with some of my favorites.

I have been on the Cafť for a long time, and even though I don't have a huge number of posts when I see something I really like I try to share the love with others. Would love to hear other members thoughts on this as well.
Mark57
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Mark57
I totally agree with Robert P.

Both version of Premonition are extremely good.
2.0 is not a stronger version than 1.0. They are both book test and equally strong. One (1.0) is more suitable for parlor/stage and the other (2.0) is more suitable for close work and reset instantly. Both use a pocket dictionary and both have a spectator chose any page and any word.

Iíve never been a big fan of riffling thru the pages of a book to have one chosen, Iím glad that with both versions of Premonition, you donít have to do so. Also, never been a fan of "look at the first word on the page" either, you have nothing of that with both version as any words can be chosen. From the spectator point of view, this really is impossible.

With 2.0, Jack added some magic into it without downplaying the mentalism feel of the effect. The climax is really surprising and beautiful, it will give your spectators lasting memories. He even gives ideas to personalize the finale if you want. Iíve never been a fan of book test, but I added Premonition 1.0 and 2.0 in my repertoire, that says a lot.

Premonition 2.0 is not in his Penguin Lecture, but if you have his Penguin Lecture, Just PM him and he will sent you the link for Premonition 2.0.

Incredible jammed packed lecture with lots of variety and not a single filler (13 reputation making effects, 14 with Premonition 2.0). The best one Iíve bought in a very long time.

Mark
Jack Poulin
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
185 Posts

Profile of Jack Poulin
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2020, Mark57 wrote:
I totally agree with Robert P.

Both version of Premonition are extremely good.
2.0 is not a stronger version than 1.0. They are both book test and equally strong. One (1.0) is more suitable for parlor/stage and the other (2.0) is more suitable for close work and reset instantly. Both use a pocket dictionary and both have a spectator chose any page and any word.

Iíve never been a big fan of riffling thru the pages of a book to have one chosen, Iím glad that with both versions of Premonition, you donít have to do so. Also, never been a fan of "look at the first word on the page" either, you have nothing of that with both version as any words can be chosen. From the spectator point of view, this really is impossible.

With 2.0, Jack added some magic into it without downplaying the mentalism feel of the effect. The climax is really surprising and beautiful, it will give your spectators lasting memories. He even gives ideas to personalize the finale if you want. Iíve never been a fan of book test, but I added Premonition 1.0 and 2.0 in my repertoire, that says a lot.

Premonition 2.0 is not in his Penguin Lecture, but if you have his Penguin Lecture, Just PM him and he will sent you the link for Premonition 2.0.

Incredible jammed packed lecture with lots of variety and not a single filler (13 reputation making effects, 14 with Premonition 2.0). The best one Iíve bought in a very long time.

Mark

Thank you so much for the kind words Mark. I'm very happy that you liked it that much. The "magic" part of Premonition 2.0 occurs naturally and easily. Once the "easy to make" gimmick is made, you have nothing to worry about. For those curious about it, here's how it goes : " I'll need some blue cards (showing a blue card case) and some red cards (changing the blue card case into a red one) ... if fact, we'll need both colors (changing the red card case into a red/blue card case).

There is no switch and everything is self contained, sturdy, very easy to make, and a real fooler. Since they don't expect it and because everything is extremely natural, it really catch them off guard. I love the fact that you changed the color of the card case 2 times in a rapid fashion like it was perfectly normal for you to "just" change the colors of things at your will. The finale really catch them by surprise because the prediction appears to be wrong, but you make the right prediction "appear" out of the wrong one in a memorable and logical way.

Jack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Premonition 2.0 by Jack (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL