The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What's a good visual easy trick prop that can just sit on a desk and be done impromptu. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brad Ballew
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
105 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
I'm thinking something that you might get from Magic Wagon or similar. Something that could be an interesting bit of desk decor but could create a bit of visual magic at a moments notice?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Some Tenyo items might fit the bill. Other folks would have to tell you which and their availability.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Stargate is an unusual item that garners attention.

Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
NW Ont Canada
540 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
This is the kind of magic that I have a passion for. Magic art that even your partner can appreciate.

This is a link to some of the items I have on my desk/shelf.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.hansen.566......4&type=3

Eric
Sleight of Hansen
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
FrankFindley, thanks for that video. See if you can find the original routine, by Terri Rogers. It develops through a couple of phases and it takes advantage of very cool displays, beyond what is shown in the video above.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
If you are truly looking for a unique magical conversation starter for your desk be sure to check out Eric Hansen's link above. I have a treasured collection (photo below) of Eric's work... beautifully crafted and some great effects. He is a joy to deal with.

the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Magic Wagon's Miracle Block may be of interest (there's one on the auction site now)
https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......c-wagon/
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
I wrote a detailed routine for MW's Miracle Block. If you purchase it send me a PM and I will be happy to send a copy. My routine is perfect for an office/desk setting.

Cheers,

John
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, federico luduena wrote:
FrankFindley, thanks for that video. See if you can find the original routine, by Terri Rogers. It develops through a couple of phases and it takes advantage of very cool displays, beyond what is shown in the video above.

Indeed. I have a couple copies of the original from 1985 with the jumbo criss-cross glued cards. The criss-cross creates a card warp type effect where you see the face and back of the folding card at the same time. This is very powerful. Plus the criss-cross cards, especially as jumbos, are even more interesting looking. It is a great, super easy effect.

J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Had that as well alas the glue gave out on mine. Teri Rogers great book "Top Secrets" details how to fairly easily make your own cards and the routine. Also picked up this version which I like...

http://www.themagicgadgetsite.com/index1.html?c42.html&1
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, FrankFindley wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2020, federico luduena wrote:

Indeed. I have a couple copies of the original from 1985 with the jumbo criss-cross glued cards. The criss-cross creates a card warp type effect where you see the face and back of the folding card at the same time. This is very powerful. Plus the criss-cross cards, especially as jumbos, are even more interesting looking. It is a great, super easy effect.

I would be interested in getting hold of a copy of this if anyone is selling please let me know.

David
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
The Wonderfool Box ...
I leave this on the desk ... sooner or later someone just has to ask "what's that"?

My reply is, "take a look" and watch them try to open the box.

Click here to view attached image.
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Frank, as you said, the card warp twist in Star Gate is very powerful. That's great material you have there!

Talbot, thanks for that link. It is a clear and practical presentation. I wonder how you would get a loose third card on and off. Interesting.

Dave, as Talbot points out, Star Gate is in "Top Secrets". Here's s link:

https://www.lybrary.com/top-secrets-p-68781.html

Another strange topological magic object by Rogers would be Blockbuster, also in "Top Secrets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNPghXEPWg4
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Wulfiesmith, what is the Wonderfool Box?
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
More of a puzzle than a magic trick.

Any small item can be seen, contained within the clear, acrylic box.
The performer opens the box easily to remove the item.
However, when someone else tries, they soon realise there is no way to open it.

But for anyone who does not know about this item, it is a real fooler.

In the States, I believe it is called Wonder Box by Uday
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
One of my personal favorites is Diecipher II.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=......axhist=0

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=......axhist=0

Either "style" would be of interest to most.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
USA
49 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
Https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12051

Anything with a Rubik’s cube
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
334 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Leather chop cup
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2020, J M Talbot wrote:
Had that as well alas the glue gave out on mine.

The 1980s glue dries up, turns yellow/brittle, and fails. But there is a very easy fix. Just reglue with a modern 100% silicon glue. Use a toothpick to apply. A paperclip on each corner keeps everything aligned. I've had really good luck with JB Weld white RTV for this. It is very flexible.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What's a good visual easy trick prop that can just sit on a desk and be done impromptu. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL