The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » CineMental by Nikolas Mavresis (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1171 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I lie this a lot - movies are emotional to people compared to playing cards. Both effects I do with playing cards already - nothing new there, and I assume you can even do a multiple mind reading effect with these cards also.

Although the design is probably great, I personally would have preferred the cards to be a recognizable movie poster (like Directors Cut). WIll pick it up in Blackpool anyway though.

Best of luck to Nikolas on this effect.

Jan
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
My understanding is that the reason they asked for the artwork to be custom movie posters was because using the actual posters has copyright problems associated with it.

There are of course lots of effects on the market that use copyrighted images without permission and the creators never have any problems - it would certainly have been cheaper as a solution to just scan a load of posters or whatever. I suspect that because this is a release by Murphy's themselves that they wanted to do it this way to avoid as many issues as possible.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
There's nothing sticky on the cards, the effect just uses normal printed cards. The method is procedural rather than physical.

Phill

TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1778 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Love the trailer and the designs of the cards look great, nice job Phill!
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
psychod
View Profile
Regular user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
164 Posts

Profile of psychod
I must be in the minority as I wasn't crazy about the trailer. Anyway, this does look interesting and I have ordered it. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of Daren
I have seen the tutorial and it is brilliant!!!! No sticky stuff or rough and smooth, they really can stop anywhere in the second phase, can't wait for this
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1500 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
That trailer does deserve some love.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
AndrewI
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2020, RickVancouver wrote:
Two questions -

1) Will it be the same 2 movies predicted each & every time, with the one purchased deck? (for the 2 phases demoed)
2) No roughing fluid - does this include anything else sticky? (some products claim no roughing fluid, but they use the friction adhesive instead. Grrr.)

Did anyone answer Q1 yet? This is quite important in the context of performability for me. Doing it the way I currently do, the answer is no to both (they can be different each time) but given this clearly says “no skill required” and “no multiple outs” I fear the answer is yes they will be the same each time. At least for phase 2.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Both old principles , stage one can be found in numerous effects ESP symbol deck is one such effect utilising stage one .
Great old underused principles with a modern theme Gaz 🙂
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Unless I'm mistaken on how PHASE ONE works, which I'm almost 100% certain I'm not, it's 100% free choice and always different (unless they just happen to choose the same movie).

Also, if I'm not mistaken on how PHASE ONE works, this trick would be crap for walk-around as you'd have to reset the cards after each performance... (should be mentioned in the ad copy)

Phase 2 I don't know exactly how it works, but I already asked on page 1 if it's always the same movie.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Patrick 100% right on stage one , I haven’t got this but I can see as can you the method and yes the reset would be a problem for walkaround .
Unless of course you wrote your own on blank cards and have several s.a.k. made up in your pockets imo Gaz 🙂
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2288 Posts

Profile of NeilS
A very well produced trailer. Well done to all concerned.

Also this uses a combination of two effective methods and together build into a solid routine which will make an impact.

However, unless I am mistaken, I think you could also use the Director's Cut cards so giving you a choice of which to use and when.

Neil
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18697 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I prefer director's cut..it's a minor thing and I know lots of people will say who cares, but I do...

They look like playing cards but with good looking movie names and icons on them. Some will say like a game, but what game could you play with these?

And throughout the vid they are referred to as cards..

Director's cut they look and feel like novelty collectables. Like bubblegum cards and other items. I've got 60s marvel collectable cover cards that I sometimes use instead of directors cut too.

If this were an esp routine, I think I'd prefer it 👍
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1844 Posts

Profile of Daren
As I have seen the tutorial I see reset as not much of an issue, I would say prob about 20-30 seconds and ready to go again
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8054 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Don’t mention Directors Cut here or Mr Pitcher will have another meltdown. Have to agree that Directors Cut is superior to this.
Doric
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Doric
This feels like an unnecessary release (and conveniently timed for Blackpool). Director's Cut and Screen Test already tick the box and more. DC and ST also feel like collectors cards Vs playing cards. The one thing this pack has going for it is Phill's artwork. Regarding Phill's dig at Alakazam for not having proper usage rights for original poster images, does he know that for a fact? Also, has Phill got permission to use Warner Bros and other trade marks I wonder.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
It wasn't a dig at all, someone was saying they should be the official movie posters, I was just explaining why (to my understanding) that wasn't done on this project. And, regards my possibly infringing trademarks, we produced entirely new artwork for each card using just the movies names which to the best of my understanding, is not copyright or trademarked:

https://www.klemchuk.com/ip-law-trends/t......s-titles

Had we used the logos and official title graphics for the films and studios then there would be exposure. I'm not a lawyer but we did what we could in good faith to create something that references and is a tribute to these films without infringing the rights of those who originally created them.

Nikolas himself messaged me earlier regards the other effects mentioned and asked me to post this (since he's not a Café member):

"Both of the effects that are mentioned (Director's Cut and Screen Test) are two different effects - They cannot use those cards to perform the 2nd phase from CineMental. Even the method on the 1st phase is different. There is no peeking involved."

Other than producing the artwork I've had nothing to do with the release. I can't speak as to the 'convenient' timing of this release, but if it's a crime to time your releases for Blackpool I'm screwed because I always try to do that. 🤣

Phill

TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I really like movie nights by John Gadd and Steve Bowring, and to my mind it’s an even better justification for the cards themselves if this bothers you. Some great stuff built into them too!

https://www.alakazam.co.uk/movie-nights-......ing.html
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Psimbol deck ( that’s it’s correct title apologies earlier ) certainly uses the old principle used in stage one of this effect as I have it and know it well .
I also knew the principle before that release too
Gaz 🙂
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
767 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
"Didn't you see the 'laughing sun'?" good stuff.

I'm just assuming most people forget what it feels like to get punched in the face.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » CineMental by Nikolas Mavresis (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL