The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Nightmare by Max Maven (136 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13
nicetodd
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of nicetodd
The reason I went for Sharky vs. Max is because in Sharky - you have 6 possible outcomes and could repeat it in close proximity very quickly. With Pocket Nightmare there is one outcome. With a homemade deck there is one outcome per deck (I suppose if you spent extra effort on crafts you could allow multiples in a sneaky sharky-like way). Sharky is specially made to allow six outcomes.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2021, nicetodd wrote:
The reason I went for Sharky vs. Max is because in Sharky - you have 6 possible outcomes and could repeat it in close proximity very quickly. With Pocket Nightmare there is one outcome. With a homemade deck there is one outcome per deck (I suppose if you spent extra effort on crafts you could allow multiples in a sneaky sharky-like way). Sharky is specially made to allow six outcomes.

While GS does allow for 6 outcomes, you have no control over which outcome will be chosen. So there is a decent chance the same outcome will show up twice in a row which kind of defeats the purpose.
I prefer the homemade version with a single outcome since I'm performing this in a parlor show and not repeating it, so I don't have to worry about the other cards in my pocket.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2021, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2021, nicetodd wrote:

While GS does allow for 6 outcomes, you have no control over which outcome will be chosen. So there is a decent chance the same outcome will show up twice in a row which kind of defeats the purpose.
I prefer the homemade version with a single outcome since I'm performing this in a parlor show and not repeating it, so I don't have to worry about the other cards in my pocket.

However, the workings of GS is such so that if the spec inadvertently riffles then nothing is suspected. You can still, very simply, pull the chosen card out of your pocket.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
698 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Buying and performing this trick has made me realise how completely randomly even right-handed spectators who claim to be good at card handling spread cards (even when shown clearly what you want them to do). The window of opportunity to grab the deck out of an errant spreader's hands is just too small unless you have a superb sixth sense in spectator management. Far too risky to perform as per the Max-method for me, unless you're showing it to a magician who is somehow still unaware of the secret. I'll still use it, but with nowhere near the 40 years of experience apparently required I think I'll employ more effective safety nets first.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Revived this thread because this has become one of my favorite effects. Hats off to Max for creating such a simple, hard-hitting effect. Not only mind blowing but extremely entertaining as well. The premise of performing with one hand then the surprise finale of the other hand coming into play at the end for an ending that no one sees coming.

But I still stand by my original thoughts in my previous posts concerning the method of the Max’s version compared to the Get Sharky single card version. Max is one of the greatest creators and thinkers our art has ever known and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him. I also understand that at the time this effect was created the method he used was the only thing he had available. Heck, even that wasn’t truly available so he was forced to painstakingly make his own.

As a hobbyist I haven’t performed this thousands of times but I have probably performed it maybe 40 times, and out of those 40 performances I know for a fact there were at least half a dozen or more times that I would have been totally busted using the original method. And that was just the people who looked at either the full face or most of the face on many of the cards. That’s not even counting the handful of folks who dropped cards accidentally. Many laymen do not handle cards well and even just spreading through an entire deck in their hands can be quite a challenge for them. For many it’s the first time they have done so in years and maybe the first time period. I honestly don’t see how “proper audience management” could possibly apply in this case since the deck is out of your hands. Since most of my spectators are friends or acquaintances I can assure you they would not always feel the need to be polite and would have no problem calling me out.

The Get Sharky method is essentially bullet proof regardless of how they look through the cards or if they drop them, with the added benefit that they can literally choose ANY card in the entire deck. Card-Shark should really consider marketing a single card version of Get Sharky because not everyone needs or wants to repeat it (which of course 1 out of 6 times they will get the same card anyway) and the performer doesn’t have to deal with multiple outs.

But all that aside, the effect is fantastic. A classic IMO. If you’re a much braver man than I am (or you are as intimidating in performance as Max is ????) and you’d rather not have to construct your own deck then go with Max’s original version. Whatever version you ultimately use, purchase the original version version first to learn it from Max himself.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/13054
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
I always love reading your input on any topic Videoman, thanks
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I believe get sharkey is setup not so much for repeat performances but more as a safeguard in case one’s finger may slip during the selection phase.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2022, 252life wrote:
I always love reading your input on any topic Videoman, thanks

Thanks 252, I appreciate the kind words.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2022, pegasus wrote:
I believe get sharkey is setup not so much for repeat performances but more as a safeguard in case one’s finger may slip during the selection phase.

It is a safeguard for that although still not 100% fail safe.
To avoid that occurring I simply hold the deck face down parallel to the floor and have them point their forefinger and use it to riffle slowly down and stop anywhere they like. They can even choose to riffle more if they like. Once they’ve committed to a card I stress for them to keep their finger in the deck as I slowly raise the deck to a level where they can see the card. I also try to get a couple other specs to view it also whenever possible because this is one of those effects where you always run the risk of them forgetting their card or getting it wrong, which obviously kills the whole effect.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
^^That’s a great tip, much appreciated
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:

To avoid that occurring I simply hold the deck face down parallel to the floor and have them point their forefinger and use it to riffle slowly down and stop anywhere they like. They can even choose to riffle more if they like. Once they’ve committed to a card I stress for them to keep their finger in the deck as I slowly raise the deck to a level where they can see the card. I also try to get a couple other specs to view it also whenever possible because this is one of those effects where you always run the risk of them forgetting their card or getting it wrong, which obviously kills the whole effect.

For Max’s effect you mean? No need with get sharky at all.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2022, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:

For Max’s effect you mean? No need with get sharky at all.

Sorry, guess I should have reminded you that I am using a single card version of Get Sharky that I constructed myself.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You know what, I think I did the same as I wanted the spec to count 51 cards remaining in the deck, which is not possible with the original as you know. I’ll have to try and find mine amongst a hundred other decks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Pocket Nightmare by Max Maven (136 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL