We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is is just me or are people afraid of giving true comments now. (66 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
acethewonderer
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of acethewonderer
I feel like the whole world of magic releases nowadays are full of:
1. Adds that look fancy with other magicians (Some you might've never even heard of) telling you how great it is
2. Actual Fillers in the content
and then people are like OMG this is another great product full of insight and whatever, and I'd be like "Seriously? I've seen this from years ago."
So, yeah, do people have lower standards for Magic releases now, or has everyone gone sansmindlike?
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of strollingmagician
Its the Murphys machine at work.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3255 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Magic tricks are now given meaningless names like the names given to cars. They are packaged like Iphones and have trailers like Hollywood movies.

But you also have better access to information than ever before. Find or request reviews. Start a discussion in the forums. Chat with the creator or even Facetime with them.

When I was a kid (old timer story ahead) I ordered based on a tiny ad in the pages of a comic book and that was about it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2219 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I'm the worst person when it comes to writing ad copy. So I describe our effects just the way I see them. Another thing is realistic transparency.
People tell me we would sell "A lot more" if the photos were nicer. To me that kicks the real Wow factor right out the front door. We photograph
them just the way they are without any Photoshoping, So what you see in the ad is what you are going to see in the box exactly.

Boy, strolling magician did you just hit the nail on the head with Murphys machine. I recently did a review of their Copper Cups & Balls.
They falsely advertised them as Copper cups, when in actuality they are Copper plated and poorly done at that IMHO. I think the packaging
was actually the most impressive rather than the product inside.

Ace, we specialize in bringing back old effects from years ago. We don't take into consideration that magicians have seen the effect, but
rather the spectators. I don't consider this a lower standard, but bringing back a "Classic" that the public has probably never seen. So far
it has worked out great.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
There's a lot of quid pro quo going on, I've noticed its always the same magicians who always leave good reviews for other magicians in their new releases

Also a lot of these murphys Vault Releases you can buy the original for cheaper

I also don't trust dealers who say they use it in their repertoire, chances are they are only gigging a few times a month if they are running a fulltime magic business
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it...
I've asked to be banned
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
287 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Some people prefer to spend a lot of money for one trick with accompanying patter than read one book, learn multiple skills, and create something of their own...

We're livin' in a punters paradise Smile
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Lol! Punters paradise!
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1702 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Things is - we love our toys!

I perform more now than I have in years, but it's an act. It's the same three or four tricks again and again and because I'm getting paid, I'll think nothing of spending good money on some tiny improvement. But I still like the toys. I like seeing how they work, playing with them, showing them to friends (occasionally, but most of them roll their eyes these days!)

There's a huge market selling toys to hobbyists. Most of the stuff on the market will NEVER make its way into the performing repertoires of pros. For example, I have "Daryl's Ultimate Ambition". It's a gorgeous piece of magic: well though-out and wonderfully deceptive. I've performed it about twice. Why? Because if I go out casually where I might be asked to perform I prefer to just toss an ungimmicked deck into my pocket (maybe there'll be a odd-backer and a Twilight Angel in there as well) and be done with it. People who do walk-around also have to consider pocket-space, and reset time, and angles, and lighting, and repeatability etc etc.

So the market is crowded, but there seems to be room for all these toys. And as MeetMagicMike reminded us: for us old timers, this is a golden age! At least you see what you're getting (usually!)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

We all love our toys and will continue to buy because they make us happy.

Murphys is just pumping way too much magic into the market. Magicorthodoxy on youtube rarely has anything bad to say about a product when many tricks are just given to him. He needs to scrutinize more as 32 thousand followers look to him in a very crowded market where many of us feel overwhelmed at how many things come out per day. Harder to make informed decisions. Usually we only know in hindsight.

Seems like for every 10 things I am sucked into purchasing, only 1 or 2 end up being worth the money.

Also, please stop recycling everything back into the market and remember when “crediting” was done in magic.

I love magic and will never stop purchasing. Lord help me.

I love magic just as much as all of you, but its starting to feel like we are the ones being fooled and getting played.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1423 Posts

Profile of Jared
I always try to add comments about new releases and I try not hold back with my opinions. However, I try to be fair to the creator, but also honest with my assessment. More specifically, is it something I will actually use? What I don't like on the Café are the people who receive complimentary copies and praise the release despite not actually liking it or only doing it to help a magic friend.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3778 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, Chamberlain wrote:
There's a lot of quid pro quo going on, I've noticed its always the same magicians who always leave good reviews for other magicians in their new releases

Also a lot of these murphys Vault Releases you can buy the original for cheaper

I also don't trust dealers who say they use it in their repertoire, chances are they are only gigging a few times a month if they are running a fulltime magic business

I’m not sure there are many people that run a full time magic business, possibly Peter Nardi and David Penn, well David works for one he doesn’t run it and David is definitely a very busy working pro. I personally don’t gig anywhere near as often as I used to because I’m getting old but I do still have a working repertoire and I still use a lot of my material which is why I can include the pitfalls.

As far as reviews are concerned people have a tendency to only write when they waste money on stuff. Reviews of good stuff are a little bit harder to come by and reviews sell. To give an example for Totally Free Will there were plenty of pre-orders but despite it being out for 3 months there have been two reviews. One posted before release and one posted by magic orthodoxy. After release maybe 4 copies were sold before the next review which then kicked off a bunch of sales. All feedback from buyers has been that they love the book and I haven’t seen a single copy put up for sale on the second hand market. So I can completely understand why some people will ask their friends to post reviews.

However I do agree that there are people out there who come up with stuff for the sole purpose of releasing it without ever testing it in the real world and these tend to be the busiest threads on here. Probably because the market isn’t for real world tested solid material. Workers tend to buy a lot less and tend to move in the same circles and share their material. It’s the hobby side that drives the market, people who perform to family and friends and people who love to learn about magic but who don’t actually perform. This is the target market of much of the stuff that gets released these days. There are exceptions but a large percentage of stuff released these days couldn’t be used in an actual show.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12353 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, strollingmagician wrote:
We all love our toys and will continue to buy because they make us happy.

Murphys is just pumping way too much magic into the market.

I love magic just as much as all of you, but its starting to feel like we are the ones being fooled and getting played.

They could never pump way too much magic into the market.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

All the new decks and rubix cube tricks out seems excessive. Sock tricks are next. Lol.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1345 Posts

Profile of barts185
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2020, acethewonderer wrote:
I feel like the whole world of magic releases nowadays are full of:
1. Adds that look fancy with other magicians (Some you might've never even heard of) telling you how great it is
2. Actual Fillers in the content
and then people are like OMG this is another great product full of insight and whatever, and I'd be like "Seriously? I've seen this from years ago."
So, yeah, do people have lower standards for Magic releases now, or has everyone gone sansmindlike?

IMO (YMMV) people have lower standards for almost everything (at least based on reviews), not just magic releases. But, magic releases are part of it.

I recently saw a review where the reviewer went over pros and cons, said they liked the product and gave it 3 stars out of 5 (which seemed reasonable based on the review, probably would have gone to 3.5 if half stars were allowed). Someone commented, "You liked the product but didn't give it 5 stars? Why would you not give it 5 stars?"

Because if you like something AT ALL these days, it's supposed to automatically get 5 stars. Sigh.

And this is even after all the BS regarding testimonials or praises from friends for other friends.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
287 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I'll buy something on here if it inspires thought. There are a lot of fun/cool things out there to play with, but at the end of the day it usually doesn't suit my style.

20 years ago I was a swiss army knife magician (one moment I would do a card trick, then read a mind, then escape a chain...) but now like others have stated my strolling act consist of only 6 tricks.

Now there are somethings I do buy (collect) such as vintage instructions, duck pans, and brass pedestals. But today I'm more just looking for something one of my puppets could use to perform a trick.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
The magic industry has never been so bloated. Online shops only need to have one or two items in stock. Murphys will demand to have items on hand (but not purchased). So there's very little downside to the Penguins of the world and even the distributors carrying crap items. Combine that with the fact that anyone with a phone can record a demo, quip pro quo friendships between creators, pre-leases, an active magic Café audience that loves to speculate and hype pre-leases and boom, you've got the answer for why we're in the absurd place we're in.

That explains the hype but doesn't explain why "people are afraid to give true comments." I don't think they are. It's just that by the time the item is actually released, the speculation and quip pro quo BS is over and people have moved on to the next pile of junk and the cycle begins again. As for the handful of chumps who are $40 lighter and stuck with another desk drawer item? Most of these people are probably slightly embarrassed and would rather move on then expose the fact that they got suckered...again.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
bobinsdakota
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of bobinsdakota
I'm going to give my opinion as a very new buyer and user of products.
I'm one who likes to do research on anything that I buy, i. e. cars, electronics, camera equipment, and yes magic accessories.
I always go for quality over quantity and function over flash. There is not worse feeling when you get something and it breaks or doesn't work after a few uses.
That being said, most of my purchases have come from Airship and I've never been disappointed with quality. Things like sponge balls and TT even vary in quality. I found out the hard way that coins need to be researched as well.
I'm ready to purchase a Lippencott type box from Viking Magic because of real great advice from people on this forum willing to be honest with me.
Well that's my 2 cents from a noob Smile
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

We must be highly selective moving forward as the crap coming out will not let up. Good luck to all of you on your next purchases. I hope they are more than you expected.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
4994 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
To answer the OP’s original question , not likely .
I will always say what I think about anything magic or otherwise without fear of retribution .
I don’t understand why people pussy foot around in today’s world .
You don’t have to agree with me or anyone if you don’t want to .
Whats the point in anything if you are just a nodding lap dog .
That will never ever be me Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is is just me or are people afraid of giving true comments now. (66 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL