The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do you ever use a pinky count to set-up for a double lift? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1339 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Is there anyone else who uses the pinky count to set-up for a double lift?

I've always struggled to do a pushover get-ready with two cards smoothly and naturally, so I prefer using a pinky count to that. A two card pinky count also draws less attention or suspicion than doing a thumb count for the same purpose.

In terms of the difficulty, I find that it can make a difference what playing cards I use. In my experience, it's easier to do a pinky count consistently with playing cards produced by Expert Playing Card Company (EPCC or LPCC) than with playing cards produced by USPCC (e.g. Bicycle).

How common is this, and is it a recommended technique to use for setting up a DL?

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
It almost the ONLY way I set up for a double lift.

I learned it years ago from Darwin Ortiz's At the Card Table and it has been my go to ever since.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4759 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I am fairly sure Jason Ladanye does also. He does a fantastic job teaching the pinky count in his first book "Confident Deceptions". It is the first thing taught in the book IIRC. Since drumdemon420 mentions Darwin Ortiz teaching it and the fact that Jason was his student for years... I would venture to guess where Jason got it.

I am actually one who always said that I had gone my entire magic career never using a pinky count. Many others agree and still never do since there are other ways to do moves that might use it. However, after studying "Confident Deceptions", I gave it some work and got fairly proficient at the dreaded pinky count and do use it at times (I still have a way to go if I want it to be one of my mainstays). Since I mentioned "Confident Deceptions", his newer book "Game Changer" also opens with work on the pinky count before getting into the effects.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mr Pink
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of Mr Pink
Hi, guys.

I think the pinky count is great and I do use it to set up for DL's and TL's. I've only used Bicycle cards though so I haven't been able to do comparisons with other brands. But they work fine for me.

I've been enjoying working on it lately and love it when I find a routine that allows for the sleight's problems (namely tension, and unreliability) to be hidden or managed effectively.

I do understand though that these issues are a real concern and can cause anxiety under fire. It stands to reason that a more sure-fire option would be preferable (i.e. pushing over two cards and sliding them back or gesturing with the top card whilst pushing over the next card etc).

But it seems to me there are instances where those options just aren't practical and the pinky count would be so much better.

For instance, in Roy Walton's wonderful 'Autograph Hunter' the magician ends up having to obtain a break below the top three cards of the face-down deck whilst the second card is secretly face up. Pushing over three cards is risky here, even when dropping your hand by your side or using attention control techniques. Because if just one person sees the face up card, the effect is ruined. So, with my limited knowledge, that only leaves two other options: riffling up the back of the cards to catch a break - no way am I doing that - and the pinky count.

So, at the very least, in instances where not all the cards that are being counted are facing the same way, I think a pinky count is a VERY useful option. Of course, for those who don't have any routines that have this problem, they'll probably be happy doing what they're doing. And that's fair enough, it's certainly not an essential sleight. But it is a valuable tool that gives you options, and in the right context with the right cover it is FANTASTIC.

And if anyone is thinking about learning the move, why not give Autograph Hunter a go? In the scenario I mentioned above, the top card has been signed on the back. I use this opportunity to raise the cards to my face and blow the ink dry. That's when I perform the pinky count, slowly and surely. With the cards held in that position in front of your face it is impossible to see the tension or the cards releasing and you can take your time counting the cards. And when you turn those three cards over, that's you done - no more counting involved. It's a great trick for practicing the move.

Mr Pink
Tortuga
View Profile
Elite user
Ballwin, MO
492 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
I do not. I almost always use a Strike Double so it is not necessary. I will occasionally use a thumb count, but it is rare when I do.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8370 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Been doing card magic for over 80-plus years, written about it for over 60-plus years - haven't used a pinky count yet...never found it necessary. (Same goes for the diagonal palm shift!)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
langston3711
View Profile
Regular user
Cumming, GA
188 Posts

Profile of langston3711
I used to do the hit double lift and liked it just fine and was pretty good at it but once I was able to do the pinky count I switched to using it all the time for a DL get ready. I also think its the best way to do triple lifts.
When a magician lets you notice something on your own, his lie becomes impenetrable
~Teller
Tortuga
View Profile
Elite user
Ballwin, MO
492 Posts

Profile of Tortuga
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2020, langston3711 wrote:
I used to do the hit double lift and liked it just fine and was pretty good at it but once I was able to do the pinky count I switched to using it all the time for a DL get ready. I also think its the best way to do triple lifts.

A nice alternative technique for doubles and triples is Ron Bauer's TTT. I believe it is still available.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
I had never use it.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2860 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Larry Jennings "Snap Double" I use sometimes.
Mostly I just apply pressure with my thumb on top of the deck and it's easy to execute the DL.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2611 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
As most of my stuff is done with loads of cover whilst standing, a push off is a darn sight easier than a 'pinkie count'!

It's also a lot more reliable (particularly as I use Waddingtons playing cards here in the UK).
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Do you ever use a pinky count to set-up for a double lift? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL