The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Metal Phone by Calen Morelli and Joao Miranda (109 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..21~22~23 [Next]
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1508 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, TuneHV wrote:

Instead, it would have been MUCH better if the silicone case was a flip case with a slit on both sides, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075STDS9B/ref......bN1NAAFX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM1HUVS/ref......bMMV6F64

I hope Joao considers making a flip case as an accessory option for this.


This is a fantastic idea and makes it all the more workable, IMO.

João, do you think there is a possibility of this? I may be on board if so

Madison
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8588 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, TuneHV wrote:

Instead, it would have been MUCH better if the silicone case was a flip case with a slit on both sides, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075STDS9B/ref......bN1NAAFX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM1HUVS/ref......bMMV6F64

I hope Joao considers making a flip case as an accessory option for this.


This is a fantastic idea and makes it all the more workable, IMO.

João, do you think there is a possibility of this? I may be on board if so

Madison


Have to agree. If not it wouldn’t be too difficult to make your own with a Stanley knife. Obviously you’d need an iPhone X flip case.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4811 Posts

Profile of videoman
Using a flip case would then create an effect virtually identical to IR. But I think I still prefer the plain old chunk of steel over a beautifully formed piece of steel in the shape of a phone.

Granted, the locking system is a very nice improvement but the trade off of having to add the fake camera piece so it's not simply one piece of metal. No one ever discovers the secret of IR anyway so I already feel very confident handing it out. But the locking is obviously an advantage if you'll be doing this at the magic club.

But to be honest I've never found this effect to get incredible reactions anyway. Sponge balls blows it away by at least tenfold but maybe that's just me.
threadman77
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of threadman77
I believe this is absolutely more workable with a flip case and spectators believing a phone is inside. I think this line of thought slipped through the creation and I bet 90% of the buyers will explore that avenue. More work in trying to prove it is a phone with stickers and fake cases. I don't think part of the effect should be making them believe your piece of steel was a phone. It's a bit confusing to the climax.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3764 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, videoman wrote:
Using a flip case would then create an effect virtually identical to IR. But I think I still prefer the plain old chunk of steel over a beautifully formed piece of steel in the shape of a phone.

Granted, the locking system is a very nice improvement but the trade off of having to add the fake camera piece so it's not simply one piece of metal. No one ever discovers the secret of IR anyway so I already feel very confident handing it out. But the locking is obviously an advantage if you'll be doing this at the magic club.

But to be honest I've never found this effect to get incredible reactions anyway. Sponge balls blows it away by at least tenfold but maybe that's just me.


Agreed.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
544 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Hi Joao,

Do you intend on making the Metal Phone and its accessories available to magic dealers at some point? And if so, when do you think that will happen?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8588 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well that’s it then. Save yourself 200 Pounds and buy a couple of sponge balls instead.

Smile Smile
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1797 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MadisonH wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, TuneHV wrote:

Instead, it would have been MUCH better if the silicone case was a flip case with a slit on both sides, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075STDS9B/ref......bN1NAAFX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM1HUVS/ref......bMMV6F64

I hope Joao considers making a flip case as an accessory option for this.


This is a fantastic idea and makes it all the more workable, IMO.

João, do you think there is a possibility of this? I may be on board if so

Madison


Have to agree. If not it wouldn’t be too difficult to make your own with a Stanley knife. Obviously you’d need an iPhone X flip case.


Yeah, could be done... but it would be nice if he offered it machine cut so it looked neater. Personally, I would even consider covering the camera cutout as that lends to the mystery and I don’t think spectators would ever say ‘what about the camera cutout?’ as they are too busy marveling at the metal phone at that point to even notice or care.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
With The Band | SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8588 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Yes. Agreed. I’d rather not have to worry about stickers if I’m honest.

Instead of stickers it should be a small plastic cap fitted with a permanent sticker that fits perfectly over the locking (lens) device.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1514 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Yes. Agreed. I’d rather not have to worry about stickers if I’m honest.

Instead of stickers it should be a small plastic cap fitted with a permanent sticker that fits perfectly over the locking (lens) device.


But then you loose the effect of peeling the sticker off no?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8588 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You just pull the plastic cap off. Not sure what the difference would be other than saving stickers.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, Phatmeat wrote:
Hi Joao,

Do you intend on making the Metal Phone and its accessories available to magic dealers at some point? And if so, when do you think that will happen?


If you like the effect best to purchase direct

If it was available via all the dealers that would put the price up by 60%
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1597 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I've often seen products being released first only through the creator and later through dealers. But I've never seen that result in a 60% price increase. Could you explain what you mean?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1405 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Got one. Price is justified. Stickers are reusable
10S Star Sign Divination AVAILABLE WITH FREE EBOOK !
PM
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, Ceierry wrote:
Got one. Price is justified. Stickers are reusable


What do you think of the hex screw visible on the exterior- I believe near where a lens would be?

Looks organic? Why do you need to “lock” the unit in the 1st place? With the prior iterations there was little heat on the unit because of the consistency of the Florentine finish hiding the seam.

The beauty of IR and Matchbox was the heavy simple solid block - visually consistent florentine finish that there was nothing to see.

All the stickers and this and that. I don't know.

It will be interesting to hear feedback as I was tempted to get this but in thinking more, not sure if this improves on the past.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1405 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Youn can remove the HEX screws if you want.

Looks organic yes. You don't need to lock, just if you want.

Stickers are reusable.

I'm planning on reviewing it and filming it ASAP.
10S Star Sign Divination AVAILABLE WITH FREE EBOOK !
PM
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
With the hex screws removed - then you’ve got two little holes there where screws used be correct?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8588 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2020, saysold1 wrote:
With the hex screws removed - then you’ve got two little holes there where screws used be correct?


How about a metal bumper case, if it’s the same dimensions as an iPhone X which I believe it is if it fits within an existing rubber case.

https://www.esrgear.com/products/iphone-......yVfD_BwE
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4811 Posts

Profile of videoman
This topic prompted me to get out both my IR and my Magic Inc deluxe brass matchbox (Cerillas Bloque), both of which I hadn't had out in a while, and it made me realize all over again how perfect they are and why I love them so much. They are just plain chunks of metal, which is exactly all they should appear to be. The simplicity is what makes their appearance so surprising and the metal blocks seem so innocent.

Joao does amazing work and I love so many of his incredible products. I'm sure the phone will do its job and many will cherish it. But I will stick with the plain and simple approach in this instance.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3967 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I am not trying to be clever here but you have always been able to lock the brass match penetration version if you felt the need anyway .
Having said that this is beautifully made as ever by Joao but the only think I didn’t care for personally was the screws around the camera area .
That wasn’t a deal breaker but that truly did hit me as soon as I saw it live ( without any additional add on purchases )
Obviously I wasn’t a layman and knew where this was heading but for £200 I felt that was fair dues Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Metal Phone by Calen Morelli and Joao Miranda (109 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..21~22~23 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL