The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Metal Phone by Calen Morelli and Joao Miranda (95 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..17~18~19 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8200 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, mikenewman wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, strollingmagician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, pegasus wrote:
I’m extremely glad I took the refund. I was one of the first to pre-order on his website, so I should’ve taken precedence over cash buyers at Blackpool. Terrible customer service.

All pegasus does is complain about everything which we sadly have to sift through in order to find intelligent comments from others. Leave the Café alone pegasus and go take up stamp collecting. Complain all you want on those forums.

Pegasus is awesome to have around here. Yes, he can be very sarcastic. I personally enjoy and laugh at his comments. He calls it how he sees it. How 'He' sees it, not you or me or anyone else... HIS opinions.

As gaz says, he has every right to be here and say whatever he wants. If he bothers you, just ignore his comments. No harm done. You can go to other forums as well if it gets too much for you here.

And yes, you have every right to dislike pegasus... or me even, or whomever.

We still welcome you though and hope you stick around... Smile

Love you too Mike. You’re always funny. I love your posts. I do not give a flying !@#$ what others think. Lol.

Also love Gaz and Unmasked. Smile
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
381 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2020, knownmagician wrote:
Just put your order.. You wont' be sorry.

This item is incredible and I prefer this other than IR because it is not like "gimmick" item. It is modern approach to classic one.

GREAT JOB Joao to bring this item to magic community.

Thank you Sir.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2212 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I so want this but for the price you’d think you’d get some of the paper covers and more stickers and not as extra accessories to buy. Just my humble opinion
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
What really sold me is the fact that everyone has a phone and so to use one in a routine just makes sense. To me the age of the phone doesn't really matter as I still know some people with flip phone!. I think its very easy to present this as "Here's something you can try with your cellphone (card/etc. goes through). You can try but it won't work...that's why I use this!! Reals block of metal with a thud!

jeff
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
Check out my column
"Magic is Education" @
www.VanishMagazine.com
adamc
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
137 Posts

Profile of adamc
Can I make a suggestion to the brilliant minds that are coming up with these fantastic ideas? Can you please come up with a name for your product that makes it difficult to google? If you search for "m*t*l ph**e m**ic tr**k", this thread is the first search result, and a promotional video for the effect is the top video result.

It seems like common sense in this day and age where everything can be googled so easily, so I really can't understand why effect creators keep using such obviously searchable names, unless of course they're doing this on purpose since their goal is to sell as many units as possible without caring about exposure, which could very well be the case.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1551 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
I agree with your post. And I am afraid your last statement hits the nail on the head.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
I would have named it... "Blocked Call" Smile
tomd
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of tomd
Yeah that’s a good point, I’ll met plenty of laymen who will casually mention that they try and google methods... most the time they won’t find anything, but “metal phone” is such a giveaway
adamc
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
137 Posts

Profile of adamc
If enough people stopped buying tricks with obvious names, perhaps the creators would be forced to come up with better names...

Blocked Call is good, way better than Metal Phone!
leosx1
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Very happy to have bought this fantastic modernized mini illusion in Blackpool. Concerning the name: Its not my problem if the spec wants to destroy the illusion for himself by doing a search after I showed him the illusion, my aim of astonishing him has been done. The chance of me running into a spec

that has already somehow googled this leans towards zero and even if so what no big deal just put it away and show him something else.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Can’t wait for mine. Don’t care about the name. Never had an issue with anybody looking up a effect. You can google almost any trick with out using the name and can get how it works most of the time. I looked up coin through solid block and got a video of how the match goes through a solid brass block.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10612 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2020, adamc wrote:
Can I make a suggestion to the brilliant minds that are coming up with these fantastic ideas? Can you please come up with a name for your product that makes it difficult to google? If you search for "m*t*l ph**e m**ic tr**k", this thread is the first search result, and a promotional video for the effect is the top video result.

It seems like common sense in this day and age where everything can be googled so easily, so I really can't understand why effect creators keep using such obviously searchable names, unless of course they're doing this on purpose since their goal is to sell as many units as possible without caring about exposure, which could very well be the case.

YUP.

This is why we named our last book test "Celebrity Presage," a name which has nothing to do with the product and won't help with searching for it.

Marketing 101.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3558 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes that was a great and thoughtful move Brett , I wished more creators cared as much as you do about our art Gaz 🙂
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
381 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2020, leosx1 wrote:
Very happy to have bought this fantastic modernized mini illusion in Blackpool. Concerning the name: Its not my problem if the spec wants to destroy the illusion for himself by doing a search after I showed him the illusion, my aim of astonishing him has been done. The chance of me running into a spec

that has already somehow googled this leans towards zero and even if so what no big deal just put it away and show him something else.

I totally agree.

Nowadays if any laymen wants to really find any information, they will find it. Even if the trick was called "#$#"$#$ the words metal phone appear naturally in magic forums, like the one you are at now.

I do not really think any laymen will care to search for it anyway.

The Celebrity Presage its the same... if anyone searches for "book magic celebrities" they will find a youtube review for the trick right away and a direct link to Penguin Magic right after.

Just do not overthink Smile
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3558 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
It’s a little bit different to be fair in the above example . There are 100’s if not 1000’s of books on celebrities , how many metal phone magic effects are there ? 1 to my knowledge Gaz 🙂
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4796 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
It’s a little bit different to be fair in the above example . There are 100’s if not 1000’s of books on celebrities , how many metal phone magic effects are there ? 1 to my knowledge Gaz 🙂

True, but I agree with Joao, if someone wants to find info on a trick, no matter the name, there is definitely a greater chance they will find it with the devious SEARCH!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3959 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Not trying to spoil the fun here. If you like this and can make this work: good for you. However I personally can't see a spectator thinking anything other than "there was a hole in this, but you somehow closed it." To me this screams "puzzle". A beautifully made puzzle, absolutely, but a puzzle.
Taking the sticker off to reveal it's not a phone is a nice surprise, but if you think people will believe that you pushed a credit card through a solid piece of metal I think you are fooling yourself. It's just like cigarette through quarter: a surprising moment, but not something that will leave them mystified. To me this is Tenyo 2.0.

I agree with this sentiment. On top of that, I feel that one will get similar reactions when using that old block of brass in a matchstick box trick.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3959 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, tomd wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, TuneHV wrote:
I see what you mean now... assuming those other boxes are implied to be empty, then yes. I don’t present IR by hinting the box is empty, I say that the only way this is possible is if the cards all have a slit in them - which would make sense if there were cards in the box (as I tip out the steel block). But you’re right that the climax is not the same climax as in the other versions, it just takes it in a different direction.

I think you're making my point. The trick only makes sense if the first phase feels explainable in some way. Then the reveal of the metal block heightens the impossibility. I don't think you get that effect if the spectators thinks there's a phone in the case. It you had a trick where something penetrated a block of silver and then you revealed it to be a block of gold, that would still be impossible but wouldn't necessarily make much sense as a reveal.

Similarly, if you did the Tenyo trick from a few years ago where a silk penetrates a phone, would it be stronger to say "Actually it wasn't a phone. It was a block of steel that I made look like a phone." I don't think so.

Although I get what you’re saying, my perspective is that any rational spectator will almost immediately assume that there is no phone under that case, and that it is actually just a phone case shell with a slit in it. It’s this rational assumption that you must use to your advantage, in order for the metal block reveal to have an impact.

When performing the penetration, call out the fact that they probably think there isn’t actually a phone in the case (whether a spectator thought this or not is irrelevant, make them think this).... because obviously it’s not possible to push a credit card right through a mobile phone. Then admit that if that’s what they thought, they were correct, there isn’t a phone. Point towards the camera, and reveal that it’s just a sticker. The spectators at this point will be following the path you want them to, and The reveal will no longer feel like:
“Ha you thought I was penetrating gold, but it was actually silver”,
but more like:
“See you fell for it just for a second, you thought I was doing the impossible” - only to reveal the ‘impossible’ actually happened.

previous iterations relied on this concept as well... at first the spectators assume the deck is full, then they see the penetration and rationally change their assumption; deck is empty or the cards have a slit in them. The magician will play with this line of thinking, that’s why the metal block reveal works.

If the spectators assume the phone is being penetrated, then yes the metal block is pointless... but equally, if spectators think you are actually penetrating a deck of cards with a coin, then the metal block reveal is also pointless..

I don’t see a difference fundamentally.

That still doesn't make sense. If you were to be able to push a card through a phone and then reveal that the phone was perfectly normal, that's the punchline. That's the climax. Here you are doing this amazing feat and then going tada, it's not even a phone, it's this odd block of metal made to hide in a phone case to make you think it's a phone! The fact that you are revealing this very odd object does not make the climax of a impossible penetration magical or impossible anymore due to the fact that they are left with this very odd object that clearly serves one specific purpose, this trick. Loses the impact and any notion of magic and makes it more of a puzzle. Even if one were to argue that nobody truly believes that the brass block in a matchstick box or IR is real and there must be a trick to it, there is at bare minimum this really great moment of magical astonishment, here you are going tadah look at this weird object which deflates that moment and just goes directly to puzzle territory.

Previous iterations made more sense because matchsticks are loose and cards are made of paper and the box can be perceived as being empty as to what the solution is. Here you are revealing a phone that isn't a phone and you even went as far as disguising it with a sticker over the lens, it's really just too odd of a object as opposed to a block of metal. A block of metal is not odd, it's just a block of metal. A block of metal meticulously designed to be disguised as a iPhone is a very odd object. Let's say all variations of this effect presents the same narrative (as you are implying) BUT the fact that this is a VERY odd object more or less I see as competing and deflating the magical climax which IR and the brass brick in a matchstick box has.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
^ I have to agree. I and some other folks made similar statements way back when on pg 1.

Since then, though, I have come around to this trick.

The WPR review and demo definitely helped.. as they didn't fuss with the stickers which, like you, I think is pretty odd as well. You're still left with a curious object ...but I'm not bumping on that as much anymore.

I agree that a normal looking phone would make more sense. Or, just a thin, plain slab of stainless steel (though then I think you sacrifice the locking mechanism). But there is something interesting about being left with a metal phone... it leaves it open to many creative ideas, presentations, and transitions to other effects.

I may spring for this at some point. Just don't want to wait until July...I want it Nooooooooooow! Smile
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3558 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
The matchbox brass penetration is in most magicians drawer because it has gone out of fashion with them .
In reality it’s better the the phone imo and they are only making this look like a phone because phones are popular ( not in my performing world as I never want phones out as if they are texting etc they aren’t watching my magic ) .
Inevitably its not and never was a phone and you can easily make the matchbox brass block lockable anyway ( if one must ) .
This is a luxury item and if you can afford it great but I guarantee you the engineering / method is 20 times better than the actual effect .
Hence no one is using the match box penetration in their A,B or even C sets anymore . They perhaps should be Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Metal Phone by Calen Morelli and Joao Miranda (95 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL