The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Metal Phone by Calen Morelli and Joao Miranda (96 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
tomd
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, zachwyman wrote:
This looks really cool, however, the price tag is deterring. Style of phones change over time drastically - even this metal phone does not match up with the latest iPhone camera. Great idea, however not long lasting considering the world of technology we live in.

Yep, not a trick you will be performing in 20 years... but I can see it lasting way longer than most people will keep it in their repertoire. Here are the flagship phones from 10 years ago: https://www.phonearena.com/news/10yearch......id112854

Some of those phones are ugly and out of date, others are very similar in appearance (apart from maybe the front facing buttons, which you wouldnít see in this routine anyway). Up until a month ago I had a 5 year old phone, my girlfriend has a phone that was released in 2013, and there are 100ís of different phone designs, I could see this lasting 7 years+ until the gimmick starts to look out of date.

7 years is more than enough time to get your moneys worth.
tomd
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of tomd
Here are the flagship phones from 7 years ago: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.zdnet......ts-best/

Phone designs actually havenít changed much at all since then. Itís like we hit a sweet spot and have only made small modifications since. Whereas the change between 2010-2013 is huge in comparison
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Iíve already made that point Tom Smile please read the whole thread.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
935 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, TuneHV wrote:
I think they missed a big opportunity here with the case.


They are offering these fake "covers" for the front of the phone to show the penetration 360 degrees:
https://www.joaomiranda.com/store/index.......t_id=131

I cannot begin to understand the point of these as it looks so fake and you can clearly a piece of paper in the video. If anything, it immediately raises suspicion as to why that is there and detracts from the magic. But showing the penetration 360 does add to the mystery much like its predecessors (which could be viewed at all angles) and elimates the idea of you just angling the phone out of the way like a form of sleight of hand.


Instead, it would have been MUCH better if the silicone case was a flip case with a slit on both sides, like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075STDS9B/ref......bN1NAAFX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FM1HUVS/ref......bMMV6F64

This way you can clearly show the penetration 360 degrees with no suspicion and it builds up the mystery of what is inside the case. It also opens up some interesting presentations such as "You're probably thinking to yourself there is no phone inside this case as that would be the only explanation, right? Though if you look here, you can see the camera, so it must be inside... that leaves only one last way this is possible... that it was all just an illusion. See, there is no phone inside the case - this is just a sticker, and this... is not a phone, but a solid piece of metal."

To the point above, the climax is shifting to an impossible oddity, and being able to show the case from both sides builds up this mystery. I also like the idea of slowly opening the flip case to reveal the metal phone as it just makes the reveal that much more impactful.

I hope Joao considers making a flip case as an accessory option for this.


To be fair, if you watch the video, he's not pretending its the screen of the phone, but rather it is a piece of paper. A lot of phone cases, have paper inserts like that in them when you buy them, so I believe the idea is to present it like that, not like its actually the screen of your phone
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
tomd
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Iíve already made that point Tom Smile please read the whole thread.

You posted your reply 2 minutes before me, while I was in the middle of writing mine. I had no idea you said the same thing already.

Canít see into the future, I only pretend to for entertainment purposes. Sorry for agreeing with you 😂😂😂😂
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, tomd wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Iíve already made that point Tom Smile please read the whole thread.

You posted your reply 2 minutes before me, while I was in the middle of writing mine. I had no idea you said the same thing already.

Canít see into the future, I only pretend to for entertainment purposes. Sorry for agreeing with you 😂😂😂😂


Ok Iíll let you off in that case (pun intended again) Smile
MarianoG
View Profile
Loyal user
SPAIN
253 Posts

Profile of MarianoG
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I don't know how yet, but I feel there's an ability to perform this with Optix in there somewhere in a mini set.


Start with Inject. Then Silhouette. Then Optix. Then this. Smile


Lol and I thought my Sirix vanishing phone was out of place because it was an Iphone X!


https://sirixmagic.com
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MarianoG wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I don't know how yet, but I feel there's an ability to perform this with Optix in there somewhere in a mini set.


Start with Inject. Then Silhouette. Then Optix. Then this. Smile


Lol and I thought my Sirix vanishing phone was out of place because it was an Iphone X!


https://sirixmagic.com


Demo video does not play.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
381 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
The response to this effect has been overwhelming.

Important: The Metal Phone will be shipped in April as mentioned in my website.

However we are making just 200 units and 50% has been sold so far just in less than 12 hours.

After this batch is sold out the next batch will be available in July only.
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1392 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MarianoG wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I don't know how yet, but I feel there's an ability to perform this with Optix in there somewhere in a mini set.


Start with Inject. Then Silhouette. Then Optix. Then this. Smile


Lol and I thought my Sirix vanishing phone was out of place because it was an Iphone X!


https://sirixmagic.com


Demo video does not play.



Here:

https://youtu.be/5nAwBFvVnz4
10S Star Sign Divination AVAILABLE WITH FREE EBOOK !
PM
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, Ceierry wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MarianoG wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2020, Nathan Alexander wrote:
I don't know how yet, but I feel there's an ability to perform this with Optix in there somewhere in a mini set.


Start with Inject. Then Silhouette. Then Optix. Then this. Smile


Lol and I thought my Sirix vanishing phone was out of place because it was an Iphone X!


https://sirixmagic.com


Demo video does not play.



Here:

https://youtu.be/5nAwBFvVnz4


Thank you. Great routine by Mariano in the link, too.
strollingmagician
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of strollingmagician
Wow! Marianoís trick is only $40?
MarianoG
View Profile
Loyal user
SPAIN
253 Posts

Profile of MarianoG
Letīs return to Joaoīs and Calen excellent effect.

It comes to mind that if I place a metal-vinyl sticker on my phone gaff, it becomes a vanish of his metal phone (after a switch, of course).

It would be a perfect follow up, a vanish and reappearance of the metal unit somewhere else.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1503 Posts

Profile of elimagic
After thinking about it, I have an idea of where to use it so my order is placed. Very curious about the locking gimmick but I do believe, like I said before, the locking mechanism warrants the release. I do wish the name was so easily searchable though.

Just my thoughts.

Eli
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1405 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
My problem with this is the same as some have hinted at but havenít said directly.

It would be significantly more impressive if you turned the case around and an actual cellphone was in it. This is what the spectator is expecting and their brain is pumped and primed for the impossibility of that, and then you say ďna, just kidding. Itís not a phone. Itís a piece of metal.Ē Why? It would be more amazing if it were actually a phone.

Madison
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
381 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MadisonH wrote:
My problem with this is the same as some have hinted at but havenít said directly.

It would be significantly more impressive if you turned the case around and an actual cellphone was in it. This is what the spectator is expecting and their brain is pumped and primed for the impossibility of that, and then you say ďna, just kidding. Itís not a phone. Itís a piece of metal.Ē Why? It would be more amazing if it were actually a phone.

Madison


The reactions we got from real life performances say the exact opposite.
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Is the number you're thinking of...
1503 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, Joao Miranda wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MadisonH wrote:
My problem with this is the same as some have hinted at but havenít said directly.

It would be significantly more impressive if you turned the case around and an actual cellphone was in it. This is what the spectator is expecting and their brain is pumped and primed for the impossibility of that, and then you say ďna, just kidding. Itís not a phone. Itís a piece of metal.Ē Why? It would be more amazing if it were actually a phone.

Madison


The reactions we got from real life performances say the exact opposite.


This is my experience using ID for years as well. The same argument could be made that putting a folded bill or coin through a card box saying it is empty, and then dumping out a full deck of totally normal playing cards, but instaead of doing that, dumping out a giant bar of steel has never failed to deliver crazy reactions.

I think the same thing may be true of this as well. Yes, it would still be incredible if you turned around the case and there was a fully normal phone, but that is what they have been primed for. It is the subterfuge of it being a solid bar of steel that gets the reaction.

I agree, it doesn't really make sense if you analyze it, but, I think the sheer surprise and shock to the spectator would probably lead them to not care. All they know at that point is that they put their card through a solid block of steel that they are now holding and there is no hole.

It's an odd one for sure but we will see. My gut reaction as that the reactions will be very good.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
912 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I think there is a key difference between IR/Matchbox and this one which is what Madison is alluding to:

The spectator tends to create the effect in their head. With IR, the effect they create is a deck with a slit or empty box or whatever. That is plausible and therefore, the revelation is shocking and surprising.

With this version, they already create this amazing effect in their mind of the bill penetrating a phone. That is magical in their mind however the magical effect is taken away from them. Yes, a more surprising effect has taken place instead.

In my opinion, the reactions will still be strong no matter what version of this effect is used. I believe all effects like this one will be shocking and garner reactions due to the nature of the effect and the steel block which does not fit in their train of thought watching the effect.

Also, I am not a fan of a slit in the case. A slit in a card box can make sense as the box is viewed as a disposable item. A case is not. I mean, who puts a slit like that in their case. Again, my nitpicks only.

With that said, I am sure the craftsmanship is great and the locking mechanism is a great plus. I may pick this up in the future if I figure out how to make it fit for me. I already see the potential in it.

But in the meantime, I believe IR is the superior version.

Just my 2 cents.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Veteran user
Portugal
381 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
The reactions you see in the trailer are 100% honest.

We never met anyone before.

I think their reactions speak by themselves if you have doubts about how powerful this effect is.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1405 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Just want to be clear, I think the effect is very nice and itís clearly well made.

Iím not saying the reactions are faked. I trust they are real because they get a big shock when they see a piece of steel because they donít expect.

But with all due respect, I donít think you can say, ďThe reactions we got say the opposite.Ē In order to test what Iím saying, you would have to do the effect once where itís a steel block and then again where itís a cellphone and see which one gets a bigger reaction.

But honestly, the steel block probably would get a more VISIBLE reaction because of the shock factor. Just perhaps it being an actual cellphone would make it linger in their mind a bit more.

Obviously, we will never really know because there is no way to do it with a real cellphone. So until then, it will have to be a block of steel Smile

Madison
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Metal Phone by Calen Morelli and Joao Miranda (96 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..17~18~19 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL