The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » UNOrthodox by Antonio Martinez (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
But are uno cards the same size?
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
37 Posts

Profile of magikmax
Uno cards, in board game parlance, (as Endersgame on here, a fellow board gamer, will tell you) are Standard American card game size (56mm x 88.9mm - effectively Bridge sized). The 'One!' cards used in UNOrthadox are standard poker size (63.5mm x 88.9mm).
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thank you. Thought as much.
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
68 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
I saw this at Blackpool and was suitably underwhelmed. The person demming it used a presentation where he realised his kid had been playing with the Uno cards and put them in his card case then co-incidentally the one playing card left in the middle was there chosen card. I can't think of many better presentations that would make sense or could have the gravitas you can build up with an ID. On top of that, you need to use equivoke at the start and the price point means you're unlikely to take a punt on it and see how it plays. Unless you had a very specific reason to use this prop I can't see the point.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
For the price you should get two decks. Odd and even, and begin with decks in pocket. At least it would be nice to have the choice.
magikmax
View Profile
New user
Scotland
37 Posts

Profile of magikmax
Funnily enough, Nardi mentions this in the instructions - when the creator brought it to Alakazam it was two decks and they streamlined it, advising that if there is enough interest they may release 'odd' decks in the future, lol. You've got to hand it to the man, he knows how to make a bob or two...
peterdilger
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of peterdilger
The Alkazam video starts with "have you got a favourite card" I am guessing this cannot be an accurate promotional video as you would have to have 104 cards in the deck - then there is an other trailer showing having to use an equivoque - The first is clearly misreputation which seems to be a growing trend when marketing products to magicians maybe they get so used to fooling audiences its crept into their sales pitches
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2020, peterdilger wrote:
The Alkazam video starts with "have you got a favourite card" I am guessing this cannot be an accurate promotional video as you would have to have 104 cards in the deck - then there is an other trailer showing having to use an equivoque - The first is clearly misreputation which seems to be a growing trend when marketing products to magicians maybe they get so used to fooling audiences its crept into their sales pitches

The only industry that isn’t regulated and they exploit it to the max. The cost of this effect for only a 50 percent hit is scandalous imo.
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, emyers99 wrote:
$40 for that?! That’s insane.

Then just don't buy it... there, all done.
peterdilger
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of peterdilger
Hi Tom its not a matter of "then don't buy it" many people will buy the product after looking at the promotional materials luckily some of us have the forum to look to for advice - but even there someone will have probably had to buy it before giving a review.

The ASA Code of Practice (enforceable in law) covering misleading advertising includes:

Rule 3.1 states “Marketing communications must not materially mislead or be likely to do so”.
rule 3.3,states that "marketing communications must not mislead by hiding material information or presenting it in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely manner".
Rule 3.11 states "care must be taken to avoid exaggerating the capability or performance of a product"

Product creators in our market space have a problem of not revealing the "secret", so do many others, but all are subject to the rules relating to misleading advertising. am sure that many of us in the forum have such items in our draw or which have been thrown in the bin - and as long as we take the view "Oh well I shouldn't have bought it" a small majority will take advantage and push the boundaries.
These comments are not against any particular vendor or creator but are observations based on a full draw of unused props all bought before joining this forum.
peterdilger
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of peterdilger
Oops should be drawer not draw lol
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4400 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2020, peterdilger wrote:
Hi Tom its not a matter of "then don't buy it" many people will buy the product after looking at the promotional materials luckily some of us have the forum to look to for advice - but even there someone will have probably had to buy it before giving a review.

The ASA Code of Practice (enforceable in law) covering misleading advertising includes:

Rule 3.1 states “Marketing communications must not materially mislead or be likely to do so”.
rule 3.3,states that "marketing communications must not mislead by hiding material information or presenting it in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely manner".
Rule 3.11 states "care must be taken to avoid exaggerating the capability or performance of a product"

Product creators in our market space have a problem of not revealing the "secret", so do many others, but all are subject to the rules relating to misleading advertising. am sure that many of us in the forum have such items in our draw or which have been thrown in the bin - and as long as we take the view "Oh well I shouldn't have bought it" a small majority will take advantage and push the boundaries.
These comments are not against any particular vendor or creator but are observations based on a full draw of unused props all bought before joining this forum.

Don't think the ASA code of practice is relevant here (as in the UK). Also, I'm sure they could/would just argue against what you saw in the advert. I imagine it could go something like ...."He named an odd card it WAS the one that was turned over. Had he said an even card the trick would have worked slightly differently and been..." oh interesting. Any idea what my son's favorite card is ... he likes even numbers...." Subtle right! Smile

You don't see anyone complaining about Mark Elsdon's B'voke which has only one out but uses the same method as this to lead the spectator towards a certain selection of cards.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Reason I never buy anything from Elsdon
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Reason I never buy anything from Elsdon

That's too bad.... can't pull it off huh?
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1267 Posts

Profile of Jared
I received this on Friday and learned it yesterday. IMO this is stronger than an invisible deck because there's probably a large number of laypersons who think that that magicians can somehow reverse a named card by using sleight of hand. But with UNOrthodox the named card is the ONLY card in the pack, thus elevating the impossibility. Moreover, the UNO cards lend themselves to more entertaining presentations and the Science friction spray makes the cards handle better (no accidental chance of them separating). I know it that it may seem expensive when compared to a traditional Invisible deck, but when you consider that the cards were specially printed (they are larger than actual UNO cards) and that they coated the cards with more expensive Science Friction spray, you'll be getting a deck that looks and performs as good as advertised.

BTW- I agree with Peter Nardi's decision to go with only one deck instead of two. The equivoque line is so fair that it will fly past 99.9% of spectator's without question it and does not dilute the effect. I would not purchase a second deck if were made available.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4591 Posts

Profile of videoman
Curious what kind of card box people are carrying this in. Do they include a genuine looking Uno box?
Or are most using a standard Bicycle box and then acting confused that a deck of Uno cards are in it?
Just curious what the options are.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1267 Posts

Profile of Jared
I prefer removing the cards from a Bicycle card case, but that decision should ultimately be decided by your presentation.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4591 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2020, Jared wrote:
I prefer removing the cards from a Bicycle card case, but that decision should ultimately be decided by your presentation.

Thanks Jared, I get it and I'm 99% sure I would use a Bike case too, but just would like to know if they include an Uno case in order to even have that as an option. My guess is that no Uno case is included.

Since the cards are larger than standard Uno cards I assume they would not fit in an off the shelf Uno case.

Also, I presume that only card in each pair is treated as that is how SF works, but can anyone comment on whether the treated cards are sprayed on the entire card surface or only in the center section as is the case with Richard Sander's Any Card?
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1267 Posts

Profile of Jared
They include an UNO case, but it cannot be examined closely; although it would certainly fly by you were performing on stage or parlor. The cards are poker-sized. You are correct in that they cannot fit inside a traditional UNO case.

The UNO cards are treated with SF spray, but not the playing cards, which means that spectators can examine their card and won't find anything strange about the texture etc. All the details are well thought out by the Alakazam design team.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8211 Posts

Profile of pegasus
So you could choose to use bicycle stock cards instead then I assume?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » UNOrthodox by Antonio Martinez (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL