The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Initial Shock - Mark Mason (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4133 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Initial Shock is one of Mark Mason's new releases for Blackpool. I love Mark because he always comes up with creative/unique gimmicks and plots and he's the best demo'er/teacher in the business. Initial Shock is hard to explain but I'll give it a whirl. (as of today, there is no link/demo because it's not technically available yet).

Spectator picks a card and initials the face. You put the deck back in the box and close the flap. You insert the spectator's signed card so it is sticking half way out of the box. You now put your initials on the box. You can show everything fairly and slowly. When you are ready, you shake the box and your initials that were on the box visually jump to the back of the spectator's signed card which is still sticking halfway out of the box. You immediately remove their card and give it to them. The box can also immediately be examined.

In the package, you get a gimmick and a download code. The gimmick is well made and not something I'd ever seen before. It works very well. The handling is pretty simple. The selection can be a free selection but that will require you to have the entire deck set up (very easy). Or, if you only want to set up one card, you have to force the selection. The gimmick basically lives in the box from the beginning but the box itself is not gimmicked.

My thoughts: This is very visual. You don't have to dedicate a deck to this but I think it makes the handling cleaner and easier. The learning curve is pretty quick. In about an hour, you'll have it down. My only issue is with the gimmick design. For this to work, you need a bicycle box with the card back design on one side. As you know, those are harder and harder to find these days. Also, the box has to have a black spade sticker. I think Mark should have included a box/sticker that would work with the gimmick or at least provide some black box stickers. I have several decks with the back design but mine have dark blue stickers. (the discrepancy is very sleight and won't be noticed) I also have a ton of Pengiun's great marked decks. They have the back design on the box but they don't have any stickers. So you may have to do a bit of a scavenger hunt but, if you're like me and have literally hundreds of decks you've collected over the years, you should be able to find a suitable box with sticker. Not a huge issue but worth noting.

All in all, a solid new visual release from Mark.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5278 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for the review and info Eric. Sounds interesting.

You can purchase empty card boxes of the type you describe although for not much more you can get a deck included too. The Richard Turner Gold and the Elite cards come in that style box.

I agree some extra stickers should have been included. I bought these a few years ago which is basically a lifetime supply but kind of expensive if you only need a couple.
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S24689
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1828 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
It is a very nice visual trick. Alex Latorre created it, Mark Mason produces and sells it.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
THREESUM | SNAPS | Precise Premonition | With The Band | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
alexlatorre
View Profile
Regular user
Barcelona
184 Posts

Profile of alexlatorre
Glad you liked it! If you need any help with anything just ask away

Alex Latorre
jay1209
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of jay1209
Saw this at Blackpool and it looks amazing. I think I asked Mark about 4 times to show the visual jump of the initials and every time it looked better and better and like real magic. Mark produces some incredible Magic and he has got to be the best at showcasing products
music
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of music
Is there a link to the effect?
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Thanks for the review Eric. I'll be checking this one out. I love Mark Mason's magic.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Available in UK?
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Is this out yet? Or is there a video available?
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Anybody know how I can learn more about this trick?
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4133 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Just ping Mark directly and he’ll send you one. That’s what I did.
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
836 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
Thanks!

Joe
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
I have it it’s great .

Carl
wanderwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of wanderwizard
This trick is now available in the UK,many moons ago JB Magic tricks were the first effects I purchased, wonderful effects with simple to the point instructions. I am going to buy this and will post review
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5181 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I got email today from Mark about its release. I don't think Mark has ever put out anything I did not love and this is no different. Even though I figured it out fairly quickly and think it is a great visual. I do find the ad copy "misleading", not a lie, just fancy wording. "Yes", the box is ungimicked and totally can be handed out for examination *True* (although I don't tend to hand out anything) then they say "nothing palmed or stolen away" *True but misleading* Can you hand out the box with the cards still in it? Or do you need to steal away gimmick (or full deck if dedicated to free choice effect as the OP stated)? (and again, I do not have this but have a really good idea what happens so I am asking).

As I say, It is a great visual effect with a hand out that will create years of memory of that moment for the spectator. I very well may pick it up because I think it is such a strong visual but if it's a duck, call it a duck, If there is a gimmick or ANY part that cannot be handed out, say there is a gimmick. We all know how to do a quick somethin somethin with many other effects with gaffed cards or "pen thru X", we can handle this. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4133 Posts

Profile of emyers99
As I mention above, there is definitely a gimmick. Box is I gimmicked and you can immediately hand everything out after the effect if you leave the deck in the box. If you want to remove the deck from the box and hand out the deck to (for some reason) you’d have to palm off the gimmick. If you have the deck set up so that the selection is truly free, you can’t hand out the deck, but if you go the force route, the deck would be fully examinable once you palm the gimmick.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5301 Posts

Profile of RNK
I LOVE this! One of my favorite purchases this year.

Easy to execute and super fun to perform!

RNK
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4133 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I agree. The only real thing to think about is to not move too fast. You really have to make sure the spectator is paying attention so they understand what is going to happen.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5181 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Agreed, it actually happens so fast that it could be missed and that would almost ruin the whole effect. Let them absorb it, get a good picture of it in their mind and BAM! Let the magic moment fry them.

Also, If I do get this, I will dedicate the deck for a totally free choice (since I don't hand out things).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2156 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
OK, I've never been disappointed by anything JB Magic, so just ordered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Initial Shock - Mark Mason (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL