The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where to find plans for classic props (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wynnrussell
View Profile
New user
Fairport, NY
5 Posts

Profile of wynnrussell
Friends, I’m interested in making my own props, both to exercise my own creative woodworking skills and save a little coin. I’m having difficulty in finding any plans or references that would give clear concepts. I don’t want to ’steal’ anyone’s designs, but I’d be interested in anyone’s source of info.

I’ve seen websites, for example James Riser’s stuff, but that doesn’t have sufficient info to actually execute a design, as the method or mechanisms are not clearly understood (maybe I’m thick). I understand the concept behind the Ball and Vase, and I hope to practice my lathe skills on projects like that.

I’m most interested in things like Die Box, the silk to Whatever boxes, etc. I don’t have a big interest in the livestock arena’s, but I have some limited info about those classics.

Thanks, hope I can contribute to this forum, and others.

Wynn
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I have been building magic tricks since I was a kid, and quite seriously for at least 25 years. I have worked with fabric, plastic, metals, wood....glass. I have done almost everything once. I do leave the fancy metal work..lota's and that type of thing to the magic factories. I do not build from plans. I build from regular books that give details. Such books as those by Jack Hughes, Eric Lewis, Wally Reid and a number of others have what you want. Essentially you get the idea, and detailed drawings, but typically you have to determine exact sizes and fits. With some experience you can get it right. And, even after the years I have done it, sometimes my first item gets a major reworking before I am happy with it. If you have specific questions you can email me. I have built at least one of everything you mentioned here.

quack
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
The Make-up of Magic by Micky Hades has just been re-released and has a lot of good advice for would be designers which includes Camouflage, Motivation, Transformation, and Misdirection in developing stage props.

He discuss' color, design, hidden compartments, and has a few plans for tables.

Denny and Lees has the book.

A Four Star paper bound 8-1/2 x 11 72 page book. A great book on the art of making stage props, painting, and even has an easy to build illusion. I don't think it is expensive.

Smile

Dennis Dowhy (800) 927-6671

www.Magic-Magic.com

[email]DennisDowhy@magic-magic.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I've found Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic to be very helpful in this area. From his book, I've made a Square/Circle box, a Take-Apart Dove Vanish box, a magic table, and even a lota bowl (plastic, not metal, out of a flower vase and a tupperware cup). These are smaller things for a parlor show, but he also has a few larger illusions in the book.
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
There's a book called "The Magic Book" that has quite a few ideas, and plans for making quite a few tricks, including some of the classics like egg bag, change bag, and stuff like that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where to find plans for classic props (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL