The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Does Thickness of Closeup Pad Matter for Shells? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
I’ve been looking at closeup pads from Murphy’s and notice they come in different thicknesses- Deluxe (8mm), Standard (5mm) and Economy (3mm). For shell practice, I’ve been using a dish drying mat. The foam padding on it is sort of spongy but it seems to give me just enough “action” to work the pea. So my question is, what closeup pad thickness would be the best for shell work? My thinking is the closeup pad material will be a lot more firm than what I’m using now. I just don’t know how much firmness is too much or not enough.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You have to experiment. It depends a lot on the pea you use. If you are using a firm pea (does not compress much) it is helpful to have a spongy mat. If your pea is soft (compresses flat easily), you will want a harder, less spongy mat.
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Pop I’m using the S4S perfect peas with Street shells.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You can use a pretty firm mat with those because the shells do some of the work for you with the Chanin Dip. Those will work without a mat, even on marble or glass--but they work best with a firm mat.
icantsleep
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of icantsleep
Thanks Pop. I think I'll try the 5mm thick pad and go from there. BTW, I'm really enjoying the Street Shells and peas. Those plus the "Intro to Shells" DVD has been one of the best purchases yet. After a day of practice I'm even fooling myself.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
The perfect pea does a lot of the work for you. In restaurants I work on a folded cloth napkin laying on the table. On the street I have a thin closeup mat attached to my table top.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Is 3 shells hard to learn?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
MagicByVincent
View Profile
Veteran user
Staten Island, New York
329 Posts

Profile of MagicByVincent
Also I take it that the pea & the shells you use make a big difference?
Smile Smile Smile Magic is all around us we just have to be willing to see it.
ActionJack
View Profile
Regular user
Pacific NW
120 Posts

Profile of ActionJack
The 3 shells has been fun for me to learn. I've been working on it in my spare time over the past year. The moves were not that hard to initially learn. Working on a routine and having it performance ready is what's been taking me so long since I've been doing it as a side project while focusing on mainly on cards and coins lately. Last year at the IBM close up competition there was a guy who had a neat routine that I wanted to talk to afterwards but never got the chance.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Have you ever seen a 3 shell con mant pull out a close up pad to work on?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Yes. I have also seen folded newspapers, pieces of carpet, jewelers display boards, or a piece of felt. They learned about close up pads from magic stores. I have not seen, but I have heard from others that some operators use S4S and other "magic store" peas. It is a lot easier than carving a pea from a pencil eraser.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Does Thickness of Closeup Pad Matter for Shells? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL