The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians spread viruses? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Are you virus aware?
We shake their hands. We give them cards, pens, coins and other objects to touch. Then we go to the next table and do the same again. We could, unwittingly, be the one person responsible for the spread of their (and our) germs or viruses!
Here are a few thoughts on practical steps we should all be thinking about to prevent the spread of viruses and germs.

1) Your presence at an event is your way of making a living, but if you have the flu, sore throat, coughing, runny nose, etc. then ask yourself what impression will you be giving to your clients? What germs might you be spreading? what does your contract say about you being unhealthy? (as opposed to being unwell) Do you have a contingency plan or a magician friend who can step in?
2) Consider taking a new deck of cards to every event and throwing the used deck in the bin afterwards. Germs can stay on any surface for a few days. Can you use plastic cards which can be washed when you get home? How often do you clean your sharpie or other props that they touch?
3) Does your audience really need to touch anything? Can you perform the same effect with minimal audience contact while still keeping them involved?
4) Restrict the amount of time you spend at each table and try to avoid touching or being in very close contact with your audience.
5) Carry a sanitising hand spray or gel in your pocket. Discretely use it say, every half hour at a function. I have started to bring the spray out after my closing effect and explain, for my final trick, that I can make germs disappear. I say the cards have been handled by hundreds of people and would they like to use my hand sanitiser? I get some very nice comments. "how thoughtful, what a nice gesture", etc.

Wishing you a safe and healthy future.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Little bit paranoid.

Do you realize EVERYONE shakes hands at these events? As a performer you are no more a conduit than the most popular person there.

Do what you want needless to say but paranoia helps nobody. Guests stay at the table all night! They dance, touch, talk close, hand out business cards, and society goes merrily on. Most gems are only effective for 24 hours.

Bartenders, servers and cooks might be more to worry about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I encountered that scenario this evening in light of "Flu Season" and have escaped getting sick thus far.I want to keep it that way.
I was performing at a table and a woman who was with her family started coughing and hacking.
It concerned me, especially this time of year. I directed my attention to others at the table and afterwards headed for the hand sanitizer.

You can't escape all the "bugs" but I'm more cautious during these few months who I physically interact with magically.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Little bit paranoid.

Do you realize EVERYONE shakes hands at these events? As a performer you are no more a conduit than the most popular person there.

Do what you want needless to say but paranoia helps nobody. Guests stay at the table all night! They dance, touch, talk close, hand out business cards, and society goes merrily on. Most gems are only effective for 24 hours.

Bartenders, servers and cooks might be more to worry about.


Not paranoid. With the threat of a Coronavirus pandemic, we should at least consider what steps we can take to minimise the risks to ourselves and others. My post is only a list of suggestions for a healthier way of performing at events.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2020, Gordon the discombobulator wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Little bit paranoid.

Do you realize EVERYONE shakes hands at these events? As a performer you are no more a conduit than the most popular person there.

Do what you want needless to say but paranoia helps nobody. Guests stay at the table all night! They dance, touch, talk close, hand out business cards, and society goes merrily on. Most gems are only effective for 24 hours.

Bartenders, servers and cooks might be more to worry about.


Not paranoid. With the threat of a Coronavirus pandemic, we should at least consider what steps we can take to minimise the risks to ourselves and others. My post is only a list of suggestions for a healthier way of performing at events.


It IS paranoid. I mean there is nothing wrong with not spreading virus. BUT seriously the guests interacting are MORE of a danger than a wandering magician. It is just simple.

Yes use hand washing. That is common practice though isn't it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you're so freaked out, become a hermit. LOL

As for me, I'll stick to my diet and maintain my salt intake. I'm surrounded by sick people, yet I don't catch a thing.
Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2020, Alan Munro wrote:
If you're so freaked out, become a hermit. LOL

As for me, I'll stick to my diet and maintain my salt intake. I'm surrounded by sick people, yet I don't catch a thing.


I am not freaked out. Just looking for healthier ways of working close-up and walkaround magic for me and for my clients.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Good point. But the issue is not what the truth is. The issue is what perception is. That is the sad part.

It happens too much so many times. Hurricane forecast have shut down businesses forever and they never came through as true. Resorts have shut down from the Swine Flu nonsense over hype. Exaggerating dangers of certain countries kills travel related industry quite often.

Worst part is they are never held to account.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Eldini
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas
127 Posts

Profile of Eldini
We should not overreact about the corona virus and injecting a little funny into any serious situation can be helpful in many ways. Most things have two sides as well. The biggest danger in an outbreak is complacency, that is how it could gain the opportunity to spread out of control.

Here are two great YouTube videos, one serious, one funny, both informative. The first is the World Health Organization update on the virus, as of today March, 5th. The second is a "Last Week Tonight" episode with John Oliver.

WHO Update - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yspzHBCG9I8&t=844s

Last Week Tonight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09m5f7Gnic
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
OMG... John Oliver is hilarious. That was awesome!
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2020, Gordon the discombobulator wrote:
Are you virus aware?
We shake their hands. We give them cards, pens, coins and other objects to touch. Then we go to the next table and do the same again. We could, unwittingly, be the one person responsible for the spread of their (and our) germs or viruses!
Here are a few thoughts on practical steps we should all be thinking about to prevent the spread of viruses and germs.

1) Your presence at an event is your way of making a living, but if you have the flu, sore throat, coughing, runny nose, etc. then ask yourself what impression will you be giving to your clients? What germs might you be spreading? what does your contract say about you being unhealthy? (as opposed to being unwell) Do you have a contingency plan or a magician friend who can step in?
2) Consider taking a new deck of cards to every event and throwing the used deck in the bin afterwards. Germs can stay on any surface for a few days. Can you use plastic cards which can be washed when you get home? How often do you clean your sharpie or other props that they touch?
3) Does your audience really need to touch anything? Can you perform the same effect with minimal audience contact while still keeping them involved?
4) Restrict the amount of time you spend at each table and try to avoid touching or being in very close contact with your audience.
5) Carry a sanitising hand spray or gel in your pocket. Discretely use it say, every half hour at a function. I have started to bring the spray out after my closing effect and explain, for my final trick, that I can make germs disappear. I say the cards have been handled by hundreds of people and would they like to use my hand sanitiser? I get some very nice comments. "how thoughtful, what a nice gesture", etc.

Wishing you a safe and healthy future.


Thank you! Good ideas. NOT paranoid! Coronavirus is VERY contagious and spreading like wildfire.
Vandecarr
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Vandecarr
So, I guess that means signed card to mouth is not part of your act? LOL

I'm glad so many of you are freaking out over this. I can't tell you how much comedy material you are giving me.

Yesterday, I did a show in Lincoln, NE and did about 6 minutes of comedy material about people like you. The audience loved it and after the show, people said they wish there was more people like me who don't live and die by the fake news, scare tactics and instead, has fun with it. I told them, there are a LOT more people like me out there, I'm not the only one, who has common sense.

So keep on being paranoid because you are fun to laugh at. While you're hiding in your bomb shelters and rioting over toilet paper, I'm cashing checks in your name.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1087 Posts

Profile of Nash
I agree with the OP for the majority of the best practices
In this special time, if you are lucky enough to have a gig not canceled/rescheduled, we should def. take heed to the latest advice (no handshakes, limit the amount of times our audiences touch our objects, etc..).
I just came back from a 2 days conference for the event industry, whereas it is true a small amount of people still hand out biz cards (we were advised to use the conference's app for contact exchange), I think it def. doesn't hurt to change up our materials slightly to put our audiences at ease.
It does suck when our audiences can no longer experience the magic within their hands, but if you do strolling and particularly restaurant gigs, I will err on the safe side y'all.

Back to sad crying and drinking whisky now that all my shows but one in March is canceled/rescheduled LOL (insert nervous laughter)
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is the bartender making drinks with his elbows? Does the server have a hazmat suit on?

In New York they probably CAME to the gig on the subway!

I wish people would just stop watching the news.

https://www.diamandis.com/blog/coronavirus-fear-vs-reality

There is no doubt things are being canceled, and the people spreading the hysteria don't care. It is just sad they can not be held to account for this type of crime.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I was truly expecting my restaurant gigs to be less crowded. Officials on the news suggesting avoiding public places and yes they included restaurants. Well I haven't experienced any downturn. In fact this evening was extremely busy. My Monday gig was busy as well. I have another on Thursday and Friday. We'll see. I totally agree with you Danny.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
My Thursday restaurant gig was busy as well..The restaurant installed wall sanitizer dispensors in various areas. Lots of talk, obviously, about the current virus situation but people in general that I've talked to feel it is overblown and media hype. Time will tell. We shall see Friday's gig.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1195 Posts

Profile of imgic
A lot depends on your area, how hard it's been hit. In Seattle area, it's a ghost town. Some restaurants are closed, some going out of business. State of Emergency declared: no large gatherings (no more that 250 people).

If cases mount in your area, expect the same.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
AndyMo805
View Profile
New user
San Luis Obispo, CA
40 Posts

Profile of AndyMo805
Paranoia isn't always our choice. Strolling is my Bread & Butter. I've prepared a 2nd routine for almost everything I carry. Have recently found myself with guests not wanting to pick a card... hold a knife... or touch a Sponge Bunny! Eek. As I approach each group, I'll try to get a feel for touch or no-touch. Whatever they want I'm ready for. Gonna be a different world for a while.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Before being closed down I was using a riffle and side steal instead of having cards removed from the deck. I stopped doing sponges, and pretty much removed all touching from the show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonmaddgician
View Profile
New user
Perth, Western Australia
63 Posts

Profile of Jonmaddgician
How quickly this post has dated.

I hope you Americans are taking a bit more precaution now. To be honest I don't think we're doing much better here in Australia, but the quicker we all cooperate, the quicker this global situation can be contained, the quicker we can ALL get back to some kind of normality. I mean I never thought I'd ever miss saying the words "pick a card, any card" (I know, I hate it too...)

In the fallout of all of this, I'm sure I'm gonna have to use "think of a card", or "name a card, any card" a lot more, even though I do much prefer card magic that can be performed in the spectator's own hands.

I do agree that after the dust settles, & people are less on edge about the whole situation, we can definitely find some comedy gold & perhaps even structure new routines that have a hands off experience, or quarantine, or detecting traces of virus or something as the centrepiece or focus of presentation effects. I for certain am looking forward to it.

But in the meantime, let's give each other & ourselves some space to breathe, to grow, to rest & to recover as a population, a society, a planet.

...& wash your hands!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Magicians spread viruses? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL