The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Suggestions for instruction/performance on a single move (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Hey Folks,

I have Tresor by Jeff Copeland which focuses on the French Drop. Can anyone suggest other items that follow the same focus of performances based around a single sleight?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
His 2nd project, Reialme, focuses on edge grip.
The Gold Coin
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of The Gold Coin
Harbottle's Misbehavin (even though it's just one routine) is a pretty intense tutorial on edge grip. He also has other work on the subject if that move interests you.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Lawrens Godon's download, "Moneypulation," has 14 routines and techniques based on one sleight: what he calls the Dynamic Back Thumb Palm.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Thank you folks. These are just what I'm look io ng for.

Keep 'em coming!
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
My new book,Rubinstein Coin Magic,is going to the printer in April. It has a lot of work on the R.O.P.S. move, the Slide move, and Stealth palm, among many other techniques.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
This sounds really exciting. Can you tell us any more about the book.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

It is going to printer in April. It should be about 500 pages, over 925 photos, and is my lifetime of work. It has 3 sections. The first is technique with over 50 moves. The second has 89 complete routines, plus 22 additional contributions from some of my coin magician friends. And Part three is a bonus section, with bonus stuff Smile
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
Thank you mister rubinstein. This sounds essential. And the perfect Easter present. Good luck with it
w i l s o
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of w i l s o
I meant to ask. do we know when the actual release will be?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Once it goes to the printer it can take up to six weeks. So I won't know more till it actually goes to the printer.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
"...focus of performances based around a single sleight."

I think you would really enjoy 'the Godfathers' work,
with 'the Crimp'.
Almost ALL of his work,..
well,....all that I've watched...😳
deals with the depth and perfection and possiblity,
of 'the Crimp'.

I believe Ken,...here at the Café, has also written a book,
exclusively,
about Vinny and his obsession (🙃), with the single technique.
gallagher
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2020, gallagher wrote:
"...focus of performances based around a single sleight."

I think you would really enjoy 'the Godfathers' work,
with 'the Crimp'.
Almost ALL of his work,..
well,....all that I've watched...😳
deals with the depth and perfection and possiblity,
of 'the Crimp'.

I believe Ken,...here at the Café, has also written a book,
exclusively,
about Vinny and his obsession (🙃), with the single technique.
gallagher

Thank you for your response, but as a newbie here, I have no idea who you're referring to.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Sometimes it can be dangerous to learn a whole lot with one sleight. For instance, the deep back thumb clip,.... I really got into that for a while, until I realized that the angles on it are very bad. Yes if your audience is right in front of you, perfectly, it works. But close up often has a moving audience, if you perform in the real world. If someone walks up and sees a coin sticking out behind your thumb, well, your coin routine is over.....

That is why I would suggest a book like Holcombe's Trip, which has a lot of different things you can use in it. Also, I would suggest "MINING" through coin magic works, to find what you can use. Lately, much coin magic is put out that only works with camera angles, or a very limited window. Which means it is only for video. hehe but true. Which also shows that many of the teachers perform for other magicians on video. They must not be doing a lot of performing in the real world. hehe.

Do not overlook MB's works. Almost all of these are angle proof.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Greetings nyborn.
Sorry I'm a bit late.
'the Godfather',....Vinny Marini
http://www.vinnymarini.com/

In the Magic Café, you can find him as:
vinsmagic

Ken, you will find as:
funsway

Here is a pretty good introduction, to Mr. Marini's work.
https://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopi......&start=0

Marion Boykin, Mb217, uses and teaches 'the Crimp'....devilishly(!).
Seeing is believing,..
but trust me:
You'll feel the heat(!),...of getting burned.
https://vinnymarini.com/download/crimpchange.html

What's REALLY nice about all three of these guys is:
they're ALL,.pretty,...'un-crimped'!
They really share and teach and help and inspire.
A good group.
Wish you well,
gallagher
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, countrymaven wrote:
Sometimes it can be dangerous to learn a whole lot with one sleight. For instance, the deep back thumb clip,.... I really got into that for a while, until I realized that the angles on it are very bad. Yes if your audience is right in front of you, perfectly, it works. But close up often has a moving audience, if you perform in the real world. If someone walks up and sees a coin sticking out behind your thumb, well, your coin routine is over.....

Back thumb palm is indeed a sleight which needs careful angle management.
That is why I never use it in a cocktail party situation, where the performer and the audience are standing up.
But in table hoping work, restaurants and the like, I always perform the routines using it because it kills !
A quick glimpse of an empty hand after a false put (ROV or not) is really powerful (imho).

Personally I wouldn't say that the angles to this sleight are very bad ; it's just a matter of using techniques like arm blocking, stepping back to narrow the angle, and some other adjustments.
In that sense any sleight, palm, move is angle sensitive ; it is our work to use the appropriate method, at the appropriate time, to the desired effect...

Just my two cents Smile
Peace
lawrens
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Just to back up what Lawrens said....I use the back Thumb palm and with a bit of audience awareness, the angles can be quite good.
And I work often work festivals and street, standing with people around yet as mentioned by backing up a bit or blocking, no problemo.
And as for someone coming up behind you...it is not as much as a problem as you think. First, they may not even know what's going on, & if they do, probably won't say anything. And if they do blab out, "He has the coin behind his hand". The audience won't know what he is talking about, or a simple, "Who gave you a speaking part?" will get a laugh, and then move on with routine.
So yeah, like tenkai and many other techniques, there are angles you have to be aware of but once you know these angles, with a bit of misdirection they are quite doable in most situations IMHO.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The Liwag subtlety gives the impression (which is all that matters) of showing the entire hand empty and is completely angle-proof. It is also infinitely easier to get into or out of. Marion Boykin uses it to great effect.
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2020, countrymaven wrote:

That is why I would suggest a book like Holcombe's Trip, which has a lot of different things you can use in it. Also, I would suggest "MINING" through coin magic works, to find what you can use. Lately, much coin magic is put out that only works with camera angles, or a very limited window. Which means it is only for video. hehe but true. Which also shows that many of the teachers perform for other magicians on video. They must not be doing a lot of performing in the real world. hehe.

Do not overlook MB's works. Almost all of these are angle proof.

Hi CM,

Thank you for your advice/suggestions. Again, as a newbie, names, anagrams... don't always a duckduckgo (search engine without tracking) find.

- Holcombe's Trip?
- MINING?
- MB?

Any links, or further references would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2020, Ray Haining wrote:
The Liwag subtlety gives the impression (which is all that matters) of showing the entire hand empty and is completely angle-proof. It is also infinitely easier to get into or out of. Marion Boykin uses it to great effect.

Which Liwag item would that be on please?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Suggestions for instruction/performance on a single move (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL