The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Al Baker vanishing glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
66 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
I am putting together Al Baker's vanishing glass. In the Baker book (the big one, but also published in his second book) it says to put clear celluloid in the pitcher. There is an editor's note explaining why, however, I don't think that is what Al had in mind. I know this is a long shot, but any help would be appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22566 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sorrry, I do not have either book, but I thought that I would inform you that back in Al Baker's day celluloid was the only "plastic" available. It was used in many magic props sold up until the late 1960's to early 1970's. Then it kind of disappeared, and the secret to assembling with adhesives went with it.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, Bill Hegbli wrote:
back in Al Baker's day celluloid was the only "plastic" available. It was used in many magic props sold up until the late 1960's to early 1970's. Then it kind of disappeared, and the secret to assembling with adhesives went with it.

The "secrets" of plastic adhesives just changed; they didn't disappear the way magic "secrets" do. Today you can use Super Glue Gel to accomplish the same thing. No secret. Acetate replaces celluloid and is still available, as are packaging plastics with funny names like PVC and PET.
ChrisPilsworth
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
66 Posts

Profile of ChrisPilsworth
Hi Guys, Thank you for the replies. Celluloid wasn't my issue. What I'd like to find out is what shape was the plastic, where was it placed in the glass and what was its purpose. There weren't any illustrations for that part of the description, so it remains a bit of a mystery. Cheers, Chris
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Al Baker's name is not mentioned, but is THIS along the lines of what is being discussed here? https://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-19836.html
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22566 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Chris, we need the description of the effect from the book. What is the pitcher's involvement has to do with the effect?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22566 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best way to make a plastic plastic gimmick is with an Ultrasonic Welder machine. No glue, Ultrasonic sound waves joins the parts together.
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
189 Posts

Profile of R Don
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Not worth pursuing. There are better glass vanishes with less risk.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22566 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:

Thanks R.Don for the reference. Makes things more clear. I see it involves a very small glass and pitcher, what we use to call a Juice Glass. The Plastic piece is simply disc cut out of plastic the size of the mouth of the glass.

I have one that came with my P&L Glass through Derby Hat or Top Hat using the mechanical Brass Candle stick.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2578 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I remember seeing someone in Tannen's in New York demo glass vanish that impressed me.... Water was poured from a metal pitcher into a glass. The glass was covered with a cloth and, away from any table edges, the cloth was flicked open to show the glass had gone.

The cloth had a disc sewn in the centre that would hold the shape of the mouth of the glass after it had vanished and the glass vanished by dropping it It into the pitcher. The pitcher acting as the hidden servante but being in plain view.

I've no idea what this set of props was called of if it's still made/available but I remember back in 1985 it impressed me!
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22566 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I remember that vanishing glass effect at the local magic store. I almost bought it, but you had to control the pitcher from dipping when the glass was dropped. It was well made as well.
AllanK
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
191 Posts

Profile of AllanK
About thirty years ago, I performed the Himber Vanishing Bottles in a large theatre, but I needed an extra "beat" to punch up the vanish, so I decided to vanish a glass of wine immediately before the vanish of the bottles. I did this by using the final "bottle" (actually the nest of four/eight) to fill the glass (the inner bottle had a sealed compartment to hold liquid), which rested on a small tray held by my assistant. While covering the glass with a cloth (prepared as Neal has described above), the "bottle" was placed on the tray. Actually, the" bottle" went over the glass under the cover of covering the glass with the cloth. My assistant walked off with the tray and "bottle", the cloth was tossed in the air and the glass vanished. I then said something like "if you think that's good, what about the bottles?" and promptly crushed the crate of bottles. It worked well as a closer for repeat shows instead of finishing with my usual closer - the Multiplying Bottles. If you know the Himber Bottles trick, I think you'll be able to follow this! I had forgotten all about this until reading Neal's comment above.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Tenyo has an effect called Evaporating Glass and Water. The gimmick works well for vanishing a glass.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2578 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On May 19, 2020, Sealegs wrote:
I remember seeing someone in Tannen's in New York demo glass vanish that impressed me.... Water was poured from a metal pitcher into a glass. The glass was covered with a cloth and, away from any table edges, the cloth was flicked open to show the glass had gone.

The cloth had a disc sewn in the centre that would hold the shape of the mouth of the glass after it had vanished and the glass vanished by dropping it It into the pitcher. The pitcher acting as the hidden servante but being in plain view.

I've no idea what this set of props was called of if it's still made/available but I remember back in 1985 it impressed me!

I've just noticed that the description in my previous post is more or less the exact same thing as is depicted in the link that R Don provided! Sorry about that R Don. The 1st time I looked at the link there the pages were blank but scrolling up and down I discovered the relevant page.

Except for the pitcher being clear rather than opaque the effect(and the method) is the same. So I've learned that the excellent glass vanish I saw all those years ago was a version. of the Al Baker glass vanish. Many thanks. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Al Baker vanishing glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL