The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Official "Book of the Year" Thread - 2019 (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
208 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Hey folks, let's do this. I'm no Jamie D. Grant...but if not me, who? There is no guarantee of any prize this year, just prestige. The following is totally plagiarized from earlier BOTY threads.

It's past that time of year! Who will win The Tarbell for 2019?!

What is your favorite book that was released in 2019?

Please submit up to 3 entries and we'll tally them up on April 01.

And, gang, Jamie D. Grant knows firsthand how much of an impact this thread will have on someone's life. Seriously. The prestige from this little thread will drive their sales through the roof. So please let's take this seriously, say nothing but nice things, and have fun! We're going to change someone's life!

RULES:

To help reduce drama (we can never eliminate it, I'm afraid) let's try and keep to the following...

Vote with Book Title and the Writer Name. Please submit 3 Entries(if you're able).

You must have 50+ posts on the Magic Café for your vote to count. If you're new, that gives just over a month to join in the community and share in our passion.

It is impossible to police or enforce a "no asking your clients, friends, etc to vote" rule and, personally, I think it's silly to ask people not to share their excitement. How can you have a contest if you're not allowed to talk about it?! On that note, I ask that you please...

Don't offer financial incentives.
Encourage people to vote for 3, if possible (I know it's harder to find 3 books in a single year than an effect) not just one.
Limit the number of your announcements to 3 times.

I trust people (perhaps that's a fault, lol) but I also trust the voting public to choose what they truly feel is the best and not just what someone tells them to do.

Lastly, this is a thread for JOY. Let me be clear- HAPPINESS! Any post that is not a vote or is something positive, I will ask for it to be deleted. There are other places on the Café (Right or wrong) for political discussions. But they won't be here.

Sweet Marie- wish me luck (I mean for moderating this thread), lol...

PREVIOUS WINNERS of The Tarbell

2000: no voting took place
2001: no voting took place
2002: no voting took place
2003: no voting took place
2004: no voting took place
2005: Dear Mr Fantasy, John Bannon
2006: Power Plays, Mike Power
2007: Session/547, Joshua Jay
2008: Approaching Magic, David Regal
2009: Magic: 1400s to 1950s, Mike Cavenry
2010: One Degree, John Guastaferro
2011: Researching
2012: Luca Volpe, Emotional Mentalism
2013: The Approach, by Jamie D. Grant
2014: A Piece of My Mind, by Michael Murray
2015: The Black Project, by Looch
2016: The Jerx Volume 1 by Andy
2017: Temporarily Out Of Order by Patrick Redford
2018: Repertoire by Asi Wind
President S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
208 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Here are some 2019 books for your consideration.

The Illusioneer by Carlos Vaquera
The Buena Vista Shuffle Club by Matt Baker
Maxims of a Magician by Richy Roy
The Magic Rainbow by Juan Tamariz
Interpreting Magic by David Regal
Eugene Burger: From Beyond by Lawrence Hass and Eugene Burger
Semi-Automatic Card Tricks XI by Steve Beam
Life’s a Beach by Gary Jones
Tesseract by Mike Powers
Pure Imagination by Andi Gladwin, Scott Robinson, and John Campbell
Mythology Codex by Phil Smith
Architect of the Mind by Drew Backenstoss
Maximum Entertainment 2 by Ken Weber
Truth Fables by Ben Blau
Magic is My Weed by Steve Spill
Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years by Gerald Deutsch

This list is obviously not comprehensive. If you have other suggestions, please share.

Jake
170sam.org
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asherfox
1. Pure Imagination - Andi Gladwin and John Campbell
2. The illusioneer - Carlos Vaquera
3. The Buena Vista Shuffle Club by Matt Baker

I want to vote for helder‘s book. Is it counted as 2020 book?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5017 Posts

Profile of landmark
1. Magic Is My Weed by Steve Spill. One of my favorite magic books ever. So much great advice and magic for those who perform platform and stage magic. And as a bonus, it's one of the most entertainingly written magic books I've read in a long time. Expensive and worth every penny.

2. Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years by Gerald Deutsch. A great book for those who like to do casual magic for friends, family, business associates, and so on, in informal close-up situations. Jerry's performance approach is to have the magician just as puzzled as his audience--taking the heat and ego away from the interaction. Hundreds of effects and scripts, it will change the way you do magic. Inexpensive and worth every penny--and the proceeds go to charity. (Full disclosure--I helped Jerry put the book together).

3. Interpreting Magic by David Regal. 500+ pages of brilliant Regal ideas, both close-up and platform. In addition to Regal's effects, there are illuminating interviews with name magicians, and several essays by Regal on various aspects of performing magic. Not cheap, but for what it is, very fairly priced.
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
208 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Asherfox,

I'm not familiar with Helder's book. I figure if it has a 2019 copyright then it is a 2019 book.

Jake
170sam.org
Wordsworth
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Secret Language was printed in 2019, but not shipped until 2020, so I feel like it should not be included this year. No one actually received it in 2019, and a lot of people who bought it won't be through it yet (myself included there). But Asherfox, I know what you're getting at. This book should be a slam dunk on book of the year in any year, in my opinion.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2020, Wordsworth wrote:
Secret Language was printed in 2019, but not shipped until 2020, so I feel like it should not be included this year. No one actually received it in 2019, and a lot of people who bought it won't be through it yet (myself included there). But Asherfox, I know what you're getting at. This book should be a slam dunk on book of the year in any year, in my opinion.

I share the same opinion with you. Helder's book is an instant classic.
I will surely vote for him if I can. Also the Illusioneer was first published in 2014. I want to change my vote into :

1. Pure Imagination - Andi Gladwin and John Campbell
2. Secret Language - Helder Guimaraes
3. The Buena Vista Shuffle Club by Matt Baker
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
208 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Okay. It is definitely too simplistic to say that if it has a 2019 copyright it is a 2019 book. My bad.

Since the Guimaraes book was unavailable for purchase in 2019, it would seem more appropriate for it to compete in the 2020 thread. To make this easier for next year, I'll make another thread to keep track of the 2020 books that would also include exceptions like the Guimaraes book. Sound good?

Jake
170sam.org
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3413 Posts

Profile of Looch
For me it has to be Mythology Codex by Phil Smith - It’s a piece of art! and the content is superb!
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Landmark above is too modest when he speaks about the book "Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years" when he says he helped put the book together.

He did the book taking data from my Perverse Magic thread on the Genii Forum and we both agreed the profits if any should go to charity.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
1. Magic Rainbow. Tamariz.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Just like the Helder Guimaraes book, Thinking Of You by Andy is actually a 2020 book.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Magic is My Weed by Steve Spill - expensive but worth every penny and more to real-world working performers. Highly recommended.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3733 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
As much as I’d like to nominate Totally Free Will just so that I can say it has been nominated, the following books are far more worthy of my nomination.

1. Architect of the Mind - Drew Backenstoss
2. Mythology Codex - Phill Smith
3. Which hand - Timon Krause

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
180 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Life's a Beach by Gary Jones.

Mythology Codex by Phil Smith

Ben.
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
40 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
The Buena Vista Shuffle Club by Matt Baker
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
208 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Hi Pierre,

You need 50+ posts to vote. Make sure you get 10 more posts before the end of March to ensure your vote counts.

V/r,

Jake
170sam.org
Pierre Cardinlemon
View Profile
New user
Budapest, Hungary, EU
40 Posts

Profile of Pierre Cardinlemon
Quote:
You need 50+ posts to vote.

Thank you Jake for reminding me!
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
754 Posts

Profile of no2ss
So so so many good books last year. Very difficult to narrow it down to three, but I'll go with:

1. Architect of the Mind, Drew Backenstoss
2. Buena Vista Shuffle Club, Matt Baker
3. Mythology Codex, Phill Smith

If I could include more, there would also be Truth Fables, Interpreting Magic, Pure Imagination, and Tesseract. I guess Magic Rainbow and Illusioneer too, but not sure what year those count as, since I think it's both just the English translations that came out in 2019. Honestly, I keep shuffling my top 3 and then the runner ups... so I'm just going to click to submit and stop over thinking it. A lot of great books last year -- and I think any of them could easily deserve to win.
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
224 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
My votes:

1 - Maximum Entertainment 2.0 by Ken Weber
2 - Totally Free Will by Mark Chandaue
3 - Which Hand Method & Philosophy by Timon Krause
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Official "Book of the Year" Thread - 2019 (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL