The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best False Cuts (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
I'm a mentalist too and it is quite infrequent I need a false cut (if I use cards I usually do FASDIU effects or effects with a cyclic deck).

However, my absolute favorite false cuts are: Bobby Bernard's and Jay Ose's. But I really really like the Winnipeg False Cut too (I didn't know the original name as I learned it from Giobbi).
What would a real mindreader do?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2020, bluejay17! wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows of a really simple false cut. I want something that looks like I'm just setting the bottom half on top. I do mentalism, so nothing that looks overly skilled.

-J

I'm mostly a decent-at-best coin guy but a bit surprised this hasn't been mentioned here, but "The Hop" is also a very easy but quite deceptive false cut. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
And here's another one for you...Top card man, Alex Pandrea offers 3 nice false cuts here, *but the "2nd" one beginning at the 3:45 mark might also be just what you're looking for as to real ease & simplicity. It's a nice in-the-hand one, a clever take on a simple Kick Cut, that is very deceptive. Pretty easy to learn and do, and Alex shows you how here in about a minute or so... Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV9_qgA4YGQ

You'll be fooling people with this one forever. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I don't think the goal of the OP was to find a cut that was particularly "easy" (though that is always a nice attribute, providing it doesn't sacrifice more important characteristics), but rather one that looks as "normal" as possible.

In my own search, I spent a lot of time looking at how "normal" (non-professional card users) people cut a deck of playing cards, and then set out to find a cut that duplicated that exact motion as closely as possible. I landed on the "Winnipeg Cut", as I posted previously. There may well be others, but I have never found any drawback to my chosen technique, and it does looks exactly like how many laypeople cut cards.

The same cannot be said for some of the other recommendations made above, which may well be deceptive, but definitely suggest card-handling skills, something most mentalists are careful to avoid.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Marion the hop is not a false cut it is a one card pass,,,,,,,,which was popularized by harry loryane in the 70s
great false table cut is the gamblers false cut by frank Garcia one of the cleanest I know
then the r is the fugaze cut by me ...it is a in the hands cut

https://youtu.be/jZAKK3vWhuk gamblers false cut

https://youtu.be/lgA_zvywuTA the hop
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2020, ddyment wrote:
I don't think the goal of the OP was to find a cut that was particularly "easy" (though that is always a nice attribute, providing it doesn't sacrifice more important characteristics), but rather one that looks as "normal" as possible.

In my own search, I spent a lot of time looking at how "normal" (non-professional card users) people cut a deck of playing cards, and then set out to find a cut that duplicated that exact motion as closely as possible. I landed on the "Winnipeg Cut", as I posted previously. There may well be others, but I have never found any drawback to my chosen technique, and it does looks exactly like how many laypeople cut cards.

The same cannot be said for some of the other recommendations made above, which may well be deceptive, but definitely suggest card-handling skills, something most mentalists are careful to avoid.

In many cases “easy” and “simple” are interchangeable, though sometimes I realize they can have different meanings. Here, I was addressing the OP's request as to "simple." If you check the (2nd) false cut by Alex Pandrea I posted, you'll see that he addresses some of your concerns as to looking as "normal" as possible, etc. As you see him do it, is how it plays. It's not hard or difficult, it is pretty easy to do as he puts it and pretty simply done as well. It clearly is "simply" a false cut as the OP requested. Not sure which ones are the best, but I know the ones I mentioned, to the table or in the hands, are simple and easy enough, even for a mentalist. Smile

And Vin, I realized and thought about it being a pass, that The Hop isn't actually a false cut per se, but if the goal is to simply keep the top card on top while appearing to cut the deck, then it works just like that for all intents and purposes. But if you're wanting the whole deck to stay in order, then other real false cuts here would work better. Wasn't sure, but just wanted to mention some viable options, that are pretty easy to learn and do.

Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
...PS...Meant to also say that the "Winnipeg Cut" is a nice way to do it too, as you have said. Smile

ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Again, both cuts demonstrated/taught by Vinny are very nice, and certainly deceptive. My point is simply that they suggest card-handling skills, which is inappropriate for a mentalist. If you walk into a bar and ask fifty people to cut a deck of cards, you are unlikely to see anything that looks like this.

If you cut the deck like this in a serious poker game, you will likely be asked to leave. In fact, Wikipedia defines cutting a deck as "split[ting] the deck into two piles by lifting one pile from the top, before placing the lower pile on top of it." Anything else is suspect at some level.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Ok how about this https://youtu.be/9z2uYZIa-Q0
Come check out my magic.

drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, vinsmagic wrote:
Ok how about this https://youtu.be/9z2uYZIa-Q0

That video is set to private Smile
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2020, ddyment wrote:
Again, both cuts demonstrated/taught by Vinny are very nice, and certainly deceptive. My point is simply that they suggest card-handling skills, which is inappropriate for a mentalist. If you walk into a bar and ask fifty people to cut a deck of cards, you are unlikely to see anything that looks like this.

If you cut the deck like this in a serious poker game, you will likely be asked to leave. In fact, Wikipedia defines cutting a deck as "split[ting] the deck into two piles by lifting one pile from the top, before placing the lower pile on top of it." Anything else is suspect at some level.

This is a good point. In fact, in many games I have played, the person who does the cut simply removes the top portion and places it on the table. The dealer then completes the cut and begins dealing. Carrying, or completing the cut is not necessarily the responsibility of the one who initiated the cutting sequence. It might be in some games, but is not a given.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Are we talking about card game table etiquette or are we talking about magic tricks?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Rupert Pupkin wondered:
Quote:
Are we talking about card game table etiquette or are we talking about magic tricks?

We are talking about mimicking real-world actions with false ones that achieve some secret goal. In order to do so, we need to clearly understand what those real-world actions look like.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
On the subject of feigned unskillfulness, Arthur Buckley put it best:

Quote:
I have heard it argued that the more clumsily you do these things, the less the audience will associate the climax of your trick with dexterity. That is true, but don’t be foolish enough to think they will believe you a “Mandrake.” No, they will probably dismiss the effect as being a simple enough feat, like a puzzle, for anyone to master if the secret working were known. More than likely that is true, because an expert is seldom, if ever, deficient in the artistry of such matters.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Buckley, however, was referring to conjurors, not mentalists (which is the topic of the OP).

Even if one considers conjuring, though, actions that precisely mimic real-world ones pass unnoticed, while "artful" ones attract attention. Whether that attention serves to label you as a charlatan or a skilled card-handler is a function of your performing premise.

Many artists strive to achieve true "magical moments", while others present themselves as extremely skilled card manipulators. It's a performance choice, the difference between something that is perceived to have an explanation (although the viewer may not be able to expound on it) and something that isn't.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, ddyment wrote:
Rupert Pupkin wondered:
Quote:

We are talking about mimicking real-world actions with false ones that achieve some secret goal. In order to do so, we need to clearly understand what those real-world actions look like.

Thanks for beating me to it.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, ddyment wrote:
not mentalists (which is the topic of the OP).

I missed that — my bad!

Quote:
Many artists strive to achieve true "magical moments", while others present themselves as extremely skilled card manipulators.

These are not mutually exclusive Smile

At any rate, this a discussion for another topic, so I won't derail it any further. Later!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Come check out my magic.

Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
If it hasn't been mentioned, there is a video out by Eddie McColl specifically on false cuts, both "in the hands" and "tabled".
5ggg
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of 5ggg
Vinny, those last 2 videos are private ;(
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Best False Cuts (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL