The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why does mentalism MATTER? (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
snm
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of snm
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2020, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2020, snm wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, IAIN wrote:
If someone appeared like Geller these days, he wouldn't do spoon bending... I wonder what they would do instead?




I've been thinking about this for over a month now and I still don't have any answer.

Any one have any ideas?


Sometimes it the act of thinking that is most important...

The reason why I say they wouldn't do spoon bending because it's either associated with Uri or wedding magicians and so on these days...it's become a bit of a norm...always exceptions too

But I don't think a modern day Uri would do it...it needs to be different...and not a homage...it needs to be something no one else is doing and presented in a believable way...

If that exists, I don't know...



I agree with you 100%. I've spent the last month thinking about what that thing would be and if it exists... and I don't know if does either.

I'm not really convinced it does. The world was a very different place back when Uri was coming up...
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
169 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
My 2 cents? It matters because in an age of answers and information people still crave entertaining mysteries. That's why escape rooms and true crime documentaries became so popular so quickly, the stuff you maybe can't solve with just a google search. Mystery stimulates and motivates us in a way that not many things can. The wonderful and beautiful thing about mentalism is that it's an interactive human mystery that can be experienced with others or as an individual.

It can also mean different things to the people that experience it. Some will try to "solve it" or rationalize it and that curious intrigue can motivate them to action and investigation; they may learn something new or discover a new interest. Some will see it and be reminded of the mysterious phenomenal potential of that thing hanging out between their ears, maybe they'll feel motivated to hone their mind. Some will be entertained and hopefully realize they're not as isolated in their thoughts as they may feel; they can see that people want to know what's on their mind and it may motivate them to share more. Maybe that's just my wishful thinking and personal beliefs projecting.

But maybe it matters because we all have thoughts we want to share and mentalism is an entertaining way of showing that people still care about what's on your mind.


-Marco-
-Magic sees Magic-

-Magic is the gift we teach ourselves to give to other people-

-Marco V-
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2020, snm wrote:
I agree with you 100%. I've spent the last month thinking about what that thing would be and if it exists... and I don't know if does either.

I'm not really convinced it does. The world was a very different place back when Uri was coming up...


It's not that different.

I also don't think it was bending spoons that specifically was why Uri blew up. Pretty sure people were bending metal before him, he was just the right kind of personality at the right time, and had no qualms about leveraging everything around him into self promotion.

He (metaphorically) built a religion, while others are worried about which bricks to use to build their church.

If I were to take a stab at guessing which 'skill' could be the focal point of the next person to do that, I would say the kind of suggestion-based body weirdness that Aaron Alexander does/teaches. But I'm probably just biased there due to my own experiences with performing that sort of material.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think dunninger did glad rods and metal rods...

But I think part of Uri's appeal was that everyone could join in...grab a fork or spoon,grab a watch...join in and it might just work...
I've asked to be banned
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Which can also be done with the energy stuff.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18809 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, I guess the buy in might be different. Little kids go grab a spoon and shout BEND!

Uri I would say, was a bit more accessible...
I've asked to be banned
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2616 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
There is that. It's a slightly silly, fun thing anyone could do.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
169 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2020, WitchDocChris wrote:
If I were to take a stab at guessing which 'skill' could be the focal point of the next person to do that, I would say the kind of suggestion-based body weirdness that Aaron Alexander does/teaches. But I'm probably just biased there due to my own experiences with performing that sort of material.


I agree with this. The new lean seems to be toward the more propless, conversational, humanistic, and emotionally driven. Aaron Alexander, Michael Murray, Phedon Bilek, Nico Heinrich, Atlas Brookings and a handful of others seem to be trending that way in some aspects and projects.

Interesting idea, maybe the new Uri equivalent will be more naturalistic, like a crunchy hipster that wants us to "find the power hidden in nature". They reject the "processed metal utensils made by stripping Mother Earth" and opt instead for bending, altering, or distorting something natural like a plant, stone, or hardwood.

"Go outside, find a plant that's budding, but not blooming yet. Now I want you to send it all your positive energy and think, GROW!"
-Magic sees Magic-

-Magic is the gift we teach ourselves to give to other people-

-Marco V-
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2020, Silversleights04 wrote:
My 2 cents? It matters because in an age of answers and information people still crave entertaining mysteries. That's why escape rooms and true crime documentaries became so popular so quickly, the stuff you maybe can't solve with just a google search. Mystery stimulates and motivates us in a way that not many things can. The wonderful and beautiful thing about mentalism is that it's an interactive human mystery that can be experienced with others or as an individual.

It can also mean different things to the people that experience it. Some will try to "solve it" or rationalize it and that curious intrigue can motivate them to action and investigation; they may learn something new or discover a new interest. Some will see it and be reminded of the mysterious phenomenal potential of that thing hanging out between their ears, maybe they'll feel motivated to hone their mind. Some will be entertained and hopefully realize they're not as isolated in their thoughts as they may feel; they can see that people want to know what's on their mind and it may motivate them to share more. Maybe that's just my wishful thinking and personal beliefs projecting.

But maybe it matters because we all have thoughts we want to share and mentalism is an entertaining way of showing that people still care about what's on your mind.


-Marco-


Wonderful post. You are a wise young man.
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
This is a very interesting and insightful thread.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1293 Posts

Profile of Robb
To be concise, 99% of mentalism doesn't matter *at all*, probably not even my own, though I do my best.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
971 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Not sure of the question: does mentalism matter (to them) or (to me)?

I believe mentalism matters to them because it gives the jaded (due to life) adults the chance to see the world, just for a moment, thru the innocent childs' eyes. If you come from magic, remember when you first pulled a silk from an empty hand for a child? Or a rabbit out of a hat? That sense of wonder is lost as we grow older and realize that magic, even when well done, is just tricks. But when performed correctly, mentalism *might* just be real. And that feeling leads to the best jaw-dropping reactions a performer can get.

And mentalism matters to me because I am the one who gives them that chance, the chance to be amazed and filled with mystery and amazement. I hope.
MysticJohn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MysticJohn
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2021, espmagic wrote:
Not sure of the question: does mentalism matter (to them) or (to me)?

I believe mentalism matters to them because it gives the jaded (due to life) adults the chance to see the world, just for a moment, thru the innocent childs' eyes. If you come from magic, remember when you first pulled a silk from an empty hand for a child? Or a rabbit out of a hat? That sense of wonder is lost as we grow older and realize that magic, even when well done, is just tricks. But when performed correctly, mentalism *might* just be real. And that feeling leads to the best jaw-dropping reactions a performer can get.

And mentalism matters to me because I am the one who gives them that chance, the chance to be amazed and filled with mystery and amazement. I hope.


I agree with this one, if one’s performance is well thought out and not just a string of effects then Mentalism can be enchanting and thought provoking. However if your coming off like like a Ted Talk speaker then many not lol
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Veteran user
Behind the Midway
378 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Mystery, entertainment, and art will always matter.
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Great thread

I think hypnotic suggestion control style effects will continue to be relevant
bobaji
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobaji
"The Mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to experience" - Frank Herbert

I think this is a good quote - it can apply to all art, and to all human spiritual endeavours.

I disagree with Todd that mentalism can be a veichle for education or social action ( I am perhaps misquoting a little.) I think art falls down when it is didactic.

I think mentalism is relevant because we are all interested in one way or another in the mysterious and encounter life as a mystery. This is the root of the spiritual side of human nature, we are born into a world not of our making.
Beyond that mentalism is an entertainment so it is largely a pleasant distraction for most people, and hopefully a fun, engaging, slightly strange and memorable experience.

I doubt mentalism connects or is any less emotional or relevant than a lot of other arts or entertainments ( in fact I think we do this less than we think or in ways other than we might believe or know.)

Having said that no one ever woke up and said "I need to have my mind read today", but perhaps most of us have woken up and thought that perhaps today it would be good if something interesting or unexpected happend. As mentalist we have the opportunity to bring our own brand of play and weirdness into the lives of others, hopefully in a fun uplifting and entertaining way.
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2019 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
A friend quoted Jim Steinmeyer as saying, "there are two ways to present magic. The first way is, 'let me tell you a story'. The second way is, 'look what I can do'."

Seems to me that mentalism presentations usually boil down to "look what I can do". Sometimes performers frame it as "look what WE can do", but I think audience members know they can't take part in telepathy, clairvoyance, etc., unless the performer is there.

If you could tell a story in a mentalism show, what would you tell?
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4585 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Once you start telling stories as part of your mentalism act, then you have crossed over to the realm of the bizarrist.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5898 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2022, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Once you start telling stories as part of your mentalism act, then you have crossed over to the realm of the bizarrist.

Only if they are bizarre stories.
questort
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of questort
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2022, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Once you start telling stories as part of your mentalism act, then you have crossed over to the realm of the bizarrist.

Then it's Bizarre Mentalism. My favorite!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why does mentalism MATTER? (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL