The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why does mentalism MATTER? (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2122 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2020, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
It matters to me - because I think it makes me a better person. It makes me a more social person. It's one (of a few) ways I get to express myself. I'm hoping that based on the reactions and feedback I get, others find it entertaining, thought provoking and interesting, but I'm not presumptuous enough to say that it matters to them -- but it does to me.

IMO, Mindbender hit the nail on the head. I have been lucky enough to have a career of 4 decades in 2 areas of entertainment. I was a stand-up comic for years (still perform occasionally, as well as teach it), then a late night network comedy writer for the past 25. And while I've certainly enjoyed those pursuits, (particularly the 5 Emmys), it wasn't until I discovered mentalism (about 15 years ago) that I truly fell in love with the art form, in a way I'd never felt about comedy writing/performing. It was (and please forgive this horribly overused word), my career 'soulmate'. As Mindbender said, mentalism matters to ME. Obviously, if it had never existed, there would be nothing for anyone to "miss". That said, yes, I'm sure there are millions who've gotten a taste of mentalism at some point in their lives, whether in live performance or on television, who would certainly miss that sense of wonder, shock & awe that others have mentioned here. I never thought anything would matter more to me than comedy writing, but as passionate as I have been about it, I don't practice it every free waking minute. From Day 1, every single free second I have had, has been spent working on mentalism. It's become my life's blood, and It certainly matters to me.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9519 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good thought, but they can apply to any form of magic presentation. i.e. taking the audience to a "other than possible" experience.

I was hoping this thread would offer insight into how mentalism provides a special "value added" impact.

For me, discovering the expectations of the audience and then proving more is essential.

What if that expectation is not for 'mental based" phenomemon. Are you prepared?

Yes, "mentalism can matter" for those so inclined, and always will. How about the rest of humanity?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2714 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I think deep down people really love to be entertained. And when that entertainment is really good people really enjoy it. I think what matters the most is that as entertainers we always want to make sure our audiences are entertained. That helps to break the monotony of their everyday problems and struggles. That is my humble opinion and I always try to keep it in mind when I perform for anyone.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why does mentalism MATTER? (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL