The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SNAPS by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan (81 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, Magic-Daniel wrote:
Any language restrictions on this?

These decks won’t contain the 3 extra vowels you guys have in the danish alphabet, so there is some restriction. But I’m sure you will find some use considering 95% of your alphabet is covered and there are symbols and signs that aren’t language restrictive.

You might run into the problem of there being an abundance of letters in the deck that danish words don’t use often, as this deck is catered for English words. But again, there will be work arounds.

Generally speaking, if the alphabet is latin derived there will be little to no restriction.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, Last Laugh wrote:
I live close enough to the Penguin west coast warehouse that I usually get stuff next day, which is awesome for instant-ish gratification.

I've been playing with these all day, really getting excited about the possibilities! So flexible...

Lots of extras and added bonus stuff built in, too. Clearly a lot of thought and attention has gone into these.

Conversely, if you drilled a hole through Penguin’s warehouse floor and kept going it would reappear in my back garden. I have to wait weeks. In fact when I receive anything from the States, I’ve forgotten that I even ordered it.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2020, Last Laugh wrote:
I live close enough to the Penguin west coast warehouse that I usually get stuff next day, which is awesome for instant-ish gratification.

I've been playing with these all day, really getting excited about the possibilities! So flexible...

Lots of extras and added bonus stuff built in, too. Clearly a lot of thought and attention has gone into these.

Conversely, if you drilled a hole through Penguin’s warehouse floor and kept going it would reappear in my back garden. I have to wait weeks. In fact when I receive anything from the States, I’ve forgotten that I even ordered it.

Ah! But that's the pleasure. I've forgotten I've ordered stuff from overseas, then one day I get a box, and my whole day is made. ("Oh yeah, I DID email that guy if he had any left in stock! Cool.")
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
These look fantastic!
I used to a routine by Gerard Zitta (if I recall correctly), with some objects... but these will make it even easier to do as I don't often carry nail clippers on me Smile

Gonna have to pick up some of these in the next couple of weeks.

All the best,
Dan
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, pegasus wrote:

Conversely, if you drilled a hole through Penguin's warehouse floor and kept going it would reappear in my back garden. I have to wait weeks. In fact when I receive anything from the States, I've forgotten that I even ordered it.

When its restocked, it should be available wholesale from Penguin, so I'd imagine some shops in the UK will be stocking it if you prefer to go that route.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I just got this Friday, still going thru video, but so far, it's great and I love it!
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
It's exactly like Omnitool from French mentalist Julien Losa.
The exact same principle.

https://youtu.be/48ZtSA9ztlk
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Here is a picture of the cards from Omnitool, same first object.. Smile

Click here to view attached image.
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I wasn't even going to look at this because I primarily do strolling, but I got bored one night and ordered. I've made it halfway through the tutorial and am impressed thus far. A lot of work went into the design of the cards and some of the routines are very creative. The book test is very nice indeed, although it tap dances the "too perfect" line pretty closely. If you have the luxury of performing with a table, this is a nice interval that is different than anything else people will have likely seen before.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, JLemoine wrote:

To say that SNAPS is EXACTLY like Omnitool is quite a stretch. Having never seen Omnitool and after watching the linked video (which shows nothing, thanks *smirkyface*), then seeing the photo provided by the next poster (very helpful!)... From what I can tell, Omnitool is not designed to spell anything out. Maybe it is, but that's not clear from what little info I have. Also, obviously, Omnitool graphics are not color photographs. And, David and I have gone beyond the alphabet by including Numbers, Symbols, Psy-Forces, Animals, etc. So, I would have to guess that Omnitool is a fine product that follows a similar line of thinking that has been standard practice in mentalism for many years... pictures that can be placed in a secret known order (typically alphabetical). While this is one of the possible uses of SNAPS, it is by no means the only one.
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, DanHarlan wrote:
Quote:

To say that SNAPS is EXACTLY like Omnitool is quite a stretch. Having never seen Omnitool and after watching the linked video (which shows nothing, thanks *smirkyface*), then seeing the photo provided by the next poster (very helpful!)... From what I can tell, Omnitool is not designed to spell anything out. Maybe it is, but that's not clear from what little info I have. Also, obviously, Omnitool graphics are not color photographs. And, David and I have gone beyond the alphabet by including Numbers, Symbols, Psy-Forces, Animals, etc. So, I would have to guess that Omnitool is a fine product that follows a similar line of thinking that has been standard practice in mentalism for many years... pictures that can be placed in a secret known order (typically alphabetical). While this is one of the possible uses of SNAPS, it is by no means the only one.

To add to what Dan already said... from what I have been able to gather, Omnitool uses 26 flash cards where each graphic resembles a letter to function as a hidden, easy stack. You cannot spell anything as a reveal with Omnitool since there are only one of each letter in total. So to say its "exactly like Omnitool" is very inaccurate. Also, the initial principle of letters hiding within symbols, graphics or drawings dates back to Max Maven from well over 30 years ago.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, TuneHV wrote:
Also, the initial principle of letters hiding within symbols, graphics or drawings dates back to Max Maven from well over 30 years ago.

Kindly refresh my memory: what was Max's first use of that?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2020, Joshua Quinn wrote:
Quote:
Also, the initial principle of letters hiding within symbols, graphics or drawings dates back to Max Maven from well over 30 years ago.

Kindly refresh my memory: what was Max's first use of that?

An effect called Drawing Conclusions, published in The Collected Almanac by Richard Kaufman
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
An effect called Drawing Conclusions, published in The Collected Almanac by Richard Kaufman

Thanks!
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
Quote:

Ok, sorry, my mistake.
As Dan says in the trailer that it's "an exciting new concept in card magic", I thought it was supposed to be... a new concept.

Click here to view attached image.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, sorry, my mistake.
As Dan says in the trailer that it's "an exciting new concept in card magic", I thought it was supposed to be... a new concept.

A photo alphabet deck is, in fact, a new concept in card magic. None of the preceding effects that used this principle allowed for ANY word or name to be spelled, and none of them used photographs.

It sounds like you have some other agenda here?
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
JulienLosa
View Profile
New user
France
92 Posts

Profile of JulienLosa
Hello!
I'm Julien, the creator of Omnitool. (Also, I'm basically no one as I rarely publish things in english and rarely hang out with the magic community 🤷🏻‍♂️😊)

First of, thanks for the support for my ideas/products, it's always appreciated.

Then, yep, last night a friend sent me a link to the trailer of Snaps, and... I froze. 😅

That being said, I've watched the introduction video and while the concept are similar indeed (letters represented by object - the fact that they are photographs or drawings is actually irrelevant. I still prefer mine because I believe using "flashcards to learn a langage" is more organic. But its my opinion), it seems we use it in completely different ways : I use mine for mindreading/memory stunt/reading/Q&A, when Dan Harlan and David Jonathan seem to focus on card magic and some mental magic.
I found it even very funny that I say in my manuscript "please refrain from using those to reveal words with the letters/objects on the cards" when Dan Harlan and David Jonathan took the concept to cardmagic and...using it exactly this way. 😁

So anyway, there's no grudge here 😊 also, I was in discussion with a magic shop to finally release Omnitool in english language (i released it in august 2017 in french, then had it translated and shared it for the past 2 years with a good bunch of magicians/mindreaders out there), so everything's is ok. 2 products with similarities but 2 products completely different.

I'll be more than happy to buy a copy of Snaps. 😊

One thing though :
David Jonathan said "Also, the initial principle of letters hiding within symbols, graphics or drawings dates back to Max Maven from well over 30 years ago."
Actually, no : when looking for credits for Omnitool, because I knew the concept "letters in drawings" was definitely not a new concept, I traced this back to 1460... Jacobus Publicius "Ars memorativa".

Best,
Julien
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thanks a lot for the clarification, Julien! Very interesting and informative! I will rethink your approach which I like a lot - and it is indeed far more my style and thinking. Is your English version available somewhere? Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I wish you the best with your effect and I am glad you acknowledge these products are completely different (to use your words). I can also assure you that SNAPS has been in development long before August 2017.

To clarify my point on the crediting, that was in reference to using the principle in the context of magic/mentalsim (not as a form of art or science in general)

With all that said, hopefully we can now get back on topic please Smile
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
JulienLosa
View Profile
New user
France
92 Posts

Profile of JulienLosa
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2020, JanForster wrote:
Thanks a lot for the clarification, Julien! Very interesting and informative! I will rethink your approach which I like a lot - and it is indeed far more my style and thinking. Is your English version available somewhere? Jan

I'll message you on FB messenger 😊

Don't wanna disturb this thread..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SNAPS by David Jonathan & Dan Harlan (81 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL