The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anyone else do the pinky count with their index finger on the side of the deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Does anyone else do the pinky count with their index finger along the side of the deck, instead of at the top, i.e. usual mechanics grip?

I learned it that way, and find that as a result I get a good grip of the deck between my thumb (on the left) and index finger (on the right). This allows me to have my middle finger and ring finger hanging loose, in a natural position between my index finger and pinky finger. The three fingers along the side look quite natural, rather than the odd looking ring finger which you tend to see in a lot of pinky counts. And perhaps most importantly, it makes riffling the pinky finger along the edge much easier - for me at least. I can count up to around 20 cards quite easily and consistently.

Is this a completely unorthodox way of doing the pinky count, or are there others who do it this way as well? And can you think of any good reasons why I should give up this method, and learn the more orthodox approach with the index finger at the top of the deck?
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
I think this is the way that Darwin Ortiz does it, with his index on the side.

It's probably because with the index on the side, the deck will be positioned higher on the hand so the little finger can riffle down the corner easier, where as when the index is at the front then the deck is positioned back a bit so the little finger has to reach more for the corner

Having experimented with it initially it is easier that way but I prefer it with my index finger in front as the changing of the finger position could be a tell you're doing a move. It's like someone going to deal cards and switching to erdnase grip, you know that bottom deal is coming. Not that this is something most spectators would notice..
carlyle
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of carlyle
I keep my index finger on the outer small end - but I'm not up to counting 20 yet. Perhaps I'll experiment with your grip a bit.

I notice my index doesn't really do much during the count, it stays pretty loose - unless I'm counting a face-up deck (then I have to curl it under the cards, otherwise they won't really move too easily).
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I’m doing the pinkie count from a regular mechanic grip, with the thumb along the long left side of the deck, not on the upper left corner which is useless and less natural.
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Good on you on finding this approach, one thing to keep in mind is that are you going to switch your index finger back to the outer end when you are not counting the card?
if you do, I suggest give up that method, because whenever you shift your index finger to the side compare to how you mostly grip the deck, audience might end up suspecting something is happening.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2020, MorrisCH wrote:
Good on you on finding this approach, one thing to keep in mind is that are you going to switch your index finger back to the outer end when you are not counting the card?
if you do, I suggest give up that method, because whenever you shift your index finger to the side compare to how you mostly grip the deck, audience might end up suspecting something is happening.

This is an excellent point, because it does have potential to arouse suspicion for this reason.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Anyone else do the pinky count with their index finger on the side of the deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL