The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona (145 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The worst part is the FEAR! I mean this is a disease that IF you vet it the is a 98% chance of not even needing treatment. Then those who do a large portion recover.
It has been reported so crazy and the 24 hour news cycle with the only concentration being on death toll is ridiculous.

The sheeple are darn scared now. It is a great way to cow a nation that is for sure.

At some point we have to leave the caves and see if it is just shadows moving.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
It is interesting to observe the levels of fear. I've seen the whole spectrum, from those who it barely bothers to those who are totally freaked out to the point of a breakdown.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Just booked a new summer camp for June. 200 kids. I usually do a big one hour show. I will do 4-30 min. shows so they can have smaller groups. Not quite doubling my fee, I will do a little extra work but make more overall. It will be in an auditorium. The problem with outside field trips is they have to put less kids on a bus. And they still have to pay full price for each trip. She also said many bus drivers dropped insurance as it is too expensive to keep up while they are not working. If this is the trend I will be super busy. I'm going to do a walk around gig this afternoon at a Church in the parking lot. People will remain in their cars. I will juggle and do visual magic.

ACE
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great to hear ACE. Business is picking up. I got to speak with client tomorrow about event in Sept. Fall should be good for us as the revenge attendees will be ready to break from the freak out news.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, Acecardician wrote:
More good news. "New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Begins Rebooking Events Cancelled by Coronavirus Crisis"

https://kadn.com/new-orleans-ernest-n-mo......-crisis/

I’m not trying to take any water from your glass that’s half full but I wouldn’t think a convention center that is currently being converted into a medical center with no end date on the calendar is “good news” - I’m guessing some of those events rescheduled for 2021.

The latest:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/healt......02030f56

As a side note... are you in New Orleans area? I notice on your photo the riverboat gambler and wondering if you ever work on the Natchez!?

It recovered from Katrina. They let people shelter there and the people trashed it bad. They remodeled and it came back bigger and stronger than ever.

Yes, I've been performing on all the riverboats in New Orleans since the early 80's.

ACE

May 13, 1000 beds, 17 patients:
https://www.fox8live.com/2020/05/13/hosp......-center/

ACE
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I actually had a Birthday show yesterday. The fellow that hired me is a Doctor, as is his daughter. The show was for his daughter's son who turned 10. So, it was just 4 adults and the Birthday boy. Since it was raining it was inside the house, but everyone was at least 15 feet from me. With my normal Birthday show about 70% of the time I have a kid up helping with a trick. I had to do some digging through my props, but I was able to come up with a show without anyone from the audience coming up to help. It was a lot of fun and they gave me a nice tip, so I would call it a success. It was a nice surprise to get this. I did have a busy summer booked, 1 fair, several festivals, camps, end of the year shows at schools and such. But of course everything is now canceled.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Thanks for sharing Dr. Delusion. Congrats on getting the job done under difficult circumstances.

I worry about this because my show relies so much on audience participation, not just for comedy, but timing and misdirection also. I seriously don't know if I want to do a show without it. I think I'll have to be upfront with my clients about this.
www.KenNorthridge.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I've been thinking about the no-touch idea as well. Thinking about how I can ask members of the audience to call out "stop" to select playing cards for example. Still... magic is so much better if objects can be examined.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Thanks Ken,
It was fun, but not nearly as enjoyable as a normal show with kids coming up to help. The show was a half hour long and I ended up doing about 10 tricks during that time. I did things like Hippity Hops, Silkcola, the milk pitcher followed by grants water suspension - of course using milk from the pitcher, die box, I used a jumbo deck of cards and ruffled through them to force a card to do the card rise pad with. I had the Birthday Boy say a magic word each time to make the magic happen to try to make him feel like he was a part of the show.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

I actually got a request for a balloon twisting gig for tomorrow. She's having a drive-by event and wanted me to twist a balloon for all the kids in the cars, which means the line of cars would be there for 30-minutes. New Jersey is still a closed state with mandatory face coverings. I didn't like the sound of this so I told her I'd make a bunch of balloons, put them in a bag and drop them off 30-minutes before the event so she could hand them out.

The new normal?
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In Branson shows, restaurants and such are open. I'm going to doubt new normal.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here is the thing I'd consider. Everyone perceives this through the lens of how they were personally affected, or through the lens of the media.

My point being that a HUGE percentage of this country was not hurt by this virus but almost destroyed by the reaction to it.

I am not making a statement about the response being right or wrong. Not the point. But the rate at which things return will vary dramatically by location.

If you are in the Northeast this has been a very dramatic and painful thing. I know, I was there when it started. But most of the rest of the country doesn't have that vivid visual of the problem. Again I'm not saying it is good or bad, right or wrong, just that it IS.

Many parts of the country are not even wearing masks or paying much attention to social distancing. Many other parts are tightening restrictions.

I'm just suggesting that there are many more opportunities out there than most seen to think.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I couldn't agree more. The media keeps portraying ground zero and the most heavily hit areas. Those of us that are national performers know this is not at all the case in other parts of the country, some may even say most of the country. People need to look beyond just their area to see the greater picture.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On May 20, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
In Branson shows, restaurants and such are open. I'm going to doubt new normal.

Magic shows look like they are opening in June (Rick Thomas, Reza, Taylor Reed) - Hamners opening May 23.

Will be interesting to see when Silver Dollar City and Dollywood (both operated by Herschend) open up.

Disney Springs, the shopping center at Disney world opened up today with face mask rule, temperature screening etc. no Disney owned stores opened, only 3rd parties. But at least something at Disney world is open.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Branson is opening. Is it good or bad? I have no opinion. It is opening.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Branson is opening slow but sure. I took in an opening show on Saturday.
It had a good turnout with everything considered. The theater did a good job with employees wearing masks
and doing "social distancing" in seating guests. They were also "disinfecting" the theater between shows.

I work at SDC and they have made no announcement when they are going to open, follow them on their website to
get the latest information.

People are starting to come into town...cautiously.

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Exactly. And IF things don't go bad it well continue across the country.

Again I'm not ordering opinion. Just observing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Yeah, Disney is opening Disney Springs in FL much like the pre-opened the shopping area in Shanghai before letting the park open. Their current thinking is to test local social compliance in the shopping area where they have space on their side. If they feel comfortable with the level of compliance to their safety standards, they can go ahead and open up the parks which obviously carry more risk.
Ray Pierce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am also hearing trepidation on a lot of fronts. Making money has to do with occupancy. Hotels that can have 30% occupancy lose money simple as that. The park runs on numbers like that as well as attractions and shows. Often it is just a better business decision to stay closed.

Many in Branson think that they don't want to open until people start coming. People don't want to show up until they know shows are going. It is a chicken egg problem.

The other very real problem that is the 800 pound gorilla in the room is liability. This has many companies quite worried.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
There's a great article in today's Wall Street Journal entitled, "Nobody Likes Tourists—Until They Stay Away. The #stayhome brigades are shaming travelers, but summer travel may be what this country needs."

My favorite quote from the article is this, "The economy cannot recover with everyone at home watching Netflix."

Gerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cancellation of Bookings due to Corona (145 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL