The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft OXF: Visible Seams (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BryceP
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of BryceP
I just recently purchased a used second-hand Schoolcraft OXF set, this is my first Schoolcraft gaff. I’ve noticed that the expanded [ seems to only cover about half way down the edge of the inner [/, and the [/ has a very distinct and clearly ring around it’s edges. Is this normal? Eric Jones has a number of routines where he shows both sides of his OXF, as well as even letting the spectators hold the gaff. I can’t imagine even briefly flashing the back side of mine. Wondering if this is normal or if something is off about mine?
BryceP
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of BryceP
Basically I’m wondering if what I purchased is actually a Schoolcraft set, or something else.
Jxb1989
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Jxb1989
It all depends honestly. Jamie's coins are all great and his engineering is very distinct on the inside of the flipper. I've seen good work from him and FRICKEN PHENOMONAL work from him. If you want to pm me a picture of the insides of your flipper and shell, ill happily be able to confirm whether it is authentic or not. My 3cf for example, the cut for the flipper is much more visible than my walking liberty oxf cut. Then again, I'm not worried at all simply because I have no reason to run if I'm not being chased.
Soniczjx
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Soniczjx
I had a set of OXF from schoolcraft severl years ago. I can say mine E[ cannot complete cover the flipper.
And if my memoer serves me well, I do not recall Eric give the OXF to the audience, I think he only let audience handel the E[ or flipper, never the whole set.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1137 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I believe a picture will establish the authenticity of the set.

I see a lot of boot leg China rip off on Ebay.

China steals everything!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Is FRICKEN PHENOMONAL a coin maker? Please let me know how to get in touch.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
That's Fracken's brother. Smile

Jim
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2035 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Aug 27, 2020, Soniczjx wrote:
I had a set of OXF from schoolcraft severl years ago. I can say mine E[ cannot complete cover the flipper.
And if my memoer serves me well, I do not recall Eric give the OXF to the audience, I think he only let audience handel the E[ or flipper, never the whole set.

I can't imagine ever allowing a spectator to handle an E[... A flipper in their hands, yes, but not to inspect.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2035 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2020, Jxb1989 wrote:
It all depends honestly. Jamie's coins are all great and his engineering is very distinct on the inside of the flipper. I've seen good work from him and FRICKEN PHENOMONAL work from him. If you want to pm me a picture of the insides of your flipper and shell, ill happily be able to confirm whether it is authentic or not. My 3cf for example, the cut for the flipper is much more visible than my walking liberty oxf cut. Then again, I'm not worried at all simply because I have no reason to run if I'm not being chased.

Oh, so now you're suddenly an expert on flippers? Smile Smile Smile
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of webtech
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, BryceP wrote:
Basically I’m wondering if what I purchased is actually a Schoolcraft set, or something else.

BryceP I have a Schoolcraft Morgan [ that I purchased directly from Jamie. And I too have the same defect. I call it a defect because I've read that sometimes this can happen while expanding the coin. But not from experienced gaffers. It's more of a bevel with a slight concave. So I was a little surprised when I received it. I sent an email to customer service and never heard back. I use the gaff regularly and no one else seems to notice it. But maybe they just aren't saying anything. Here is a link to my coin. See if it looks the same...
https://ibb.co/w67wqfX
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2035 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Is that a deformation under where it says "UNUM"? If so, that's unacceptable and should go back for replacement.

Quote:
On Sep 6, 2020, webtech wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2020, BryceP wrote:

BryceP I have a Schoolcraft Morgan [ that I purchased directly from Jamie. And I too have the same defect. I call it a defect because I've read that sometimes this can happen while expanding the coin. But not from experienced gaffers. It's more of a bevel with a slight concave. So I was a little surprised when I received it. I sent an email to customer service and never heard back. I use the gaff regularly and no one else seems to notice it. But maybe they just aren't saying anything. Here is a link to my coin. See if it looks the same...
https://ibb.co/w67wqfX
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of webtech
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2020, inigmntoya wrote:
Is that a deformation under where it says "UNUM"? If so, that's unacceptable and should go back for replacement.

Hi inigmntoya. I took several pics in different lighting to accentuate what I feel is a defect. It's really not as pronounced as you see in that pic. Here is another pic so you can compare. It's noticeable to me because I know it is there. Have look in normal lighting conditiions next to a regular coin. Shell is to the right...
https://ibb.co/JrbZbNH
And here are the coins nested. The coverage is exactly as it should be...
https://ibb.co/64FtWD6
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8725 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I aree with you that "no one notices it,'' but I also agree wth Igmntoya that since "you" notice it and it clearly bothers you (It would bother me too, as it is definitely an imperfection), send it back. I'm sure Jamie, when made aware, would take care of it, hopefully more sooner than later.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of webtech
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2020, Mb217 wrote:
I aree with you that "no one notices it,'' but I also agree wth Igmntoya that since "you" notice it and it clearly bothers you (It would bother me too, as it is definitely an imperfection), send it back. I'm sure Jamie, when made aware, would take care of it, hopefully more sooner than later.
I don't know if I could now. I've had it a couple of years. And I never got a reply back when I sent them a message about it.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Interesting, I also had issues with communication with Schoolcraft.
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of jamo425
I have a schoolcraft walking liberty oxf set and have the same aesthetic issue.

It functions perfectly, but the exp shell seems to cover only about half the flipper give or take. If I look around the circumstance, some areas are covered better than others. Not a big concern of mine actually as I use the shell alone for other routines and never had an issue.

The only issue for me is the flipper has a tiny gap between the shell and insert. I realize there must be enough room so that the flipper can open, but the bottom piece is actually the part I'm more worried about as the gap is more noticeable. The top piece seems like a pretty good fit.

I'd certainly be cautious about displaying the tails side for too long or viewed too closely. A brief flash of the back at a distance I'm sure would fly by. But I'm a little nervous to do something like Eric's impossible coins across routine, as I'm afraid they will notice something off should they happen to see the bad side. If you know the routine, you'll know that there is a risk of this happening too.

Other routines that I can perform at a short distance I feel perfectly fine doing, and in that sense I'm satisfied. But the impossible coins across was a big selling point of this gaff for me, which sadly I never had the courage to try. Don't know if anyone has the same aesthetic issues and has performed this routine with it before? If so I'd love to hear your experience.

Anyway I've owned this gaff for some odd years now.. not sure if I should try and contact Jamie over this? Even after all this time? Or if it's normal and supposed to look this way. I've owned some other cheap clad gaffs before but this was also my first (and only) schoolcraft/silver coin gaff, so I was never sure what to expect or what to look out for.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2035 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2020, jamo425 wrote:
The only issue for me is the flipper has a tiny gap between the shell and insert. I realize there must be enough room so that the flipper can open, but the bottom piece is actually the part I'm more worried about as the gap is more noticeable. The top piece seems like a pretty good fit.

Next time you replace the band (or now if it bothers you that much) you should be able to reposition the small piece closer to the shell rim when you put things back together.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft OXF: Visible Seams (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL