The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Advice on cups combo set or not? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
If you are going to use them often, I would recommend the satin finish. I've never performed with the foxy 3 cups, however, rnt2 has great quality. I have used sherwood cups and they are phenomenal and handle great. They also hold up well to abuse. Just do not accidentally drop them on the ground. I imagine that most copper cups would act the same but it flattened out the mouth opening of the cup.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
Sideshow Rod
View Profile
New user
Portugal
52 Posts

Profile of Sideshow Rod
I managed tp pick up some original Gary Animal Gazzo street cups this week and have to say the weight and the quality are awesome. I have been doing magic for 20 years and never got in to cups and balls. They are allot of fun.
As for balls , does anyone know where to get decent soccer balls instead of the normal crochet ones?
Thanks for your input it has all been very helpful.
SSR
TreyP1T
View Profile
New user
St. George, Utah
10 Posts

Profile of TreyP1T
I started with a cheap combo set by Uday. They lasted a long time, and served me well, but much like a musician playing on a student model instrument, there comes a time where you need to upgrade to more professional quality. My C&B routine changed several times over the years, at first I didn't really use the chop cup at all, then for a while I did, then I didn't anymore. By the time I had finalized my routine, the chop cup became more of an annoyance, as in one performance, in the heat of the moment I lost track of which was the chopped ball, and when I set it on top of the cup it stuck. The Audience didn't seem to notice, but I vowed "never again" and bought a new set of balls so I could do the C&B without any such risk. Eventually when I upgraded I bought the Rings-n-Things satin finish copper Paul Fox cups, and have been delighted with them.

I did start doing a chop cup routine, but I decided that with only one cup I wanted the final load to be as large as possible, so I bought a wide mouth chop cup, and just about never use the one from the combo set. As of this posting I just barely order a replacement, the Rings-n-Things Don Alan Chop Cup.
I'm Trey, I'm a magician, a liar, and a cheat. But you can trust me!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I just got a shipment notification from RnT2 for the Foxy 3 Combo set in Satin Copper that I ordered from them yesterday.

I'm really looking forward to playing with these when they arrive.....all of the reviews I have seen on this set of cups say that they are FANTASTIC!

It will be nice to have an alternative set of Combo Cups to use along with my Mendoza Set.....another GREAT set of cups!
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of equivoque
I have been using a combo set from Morrissey (I think). It was time for an upgrade and I had a $50.00 gift certificate from Christmas. I just ordered the Mendoza cups in aluminum. I would have preferred brass, but I really cannot justify spending $300 on a set, especially since I am not booking gigs anymore. I have a few Morrissey, aluminum pocket chop cups and I really like them, but I also have a Don Alan Mini. I cannot figure out why people are paying up to $100 for Morrissey pocket chop cups on ebay (although I will acknowledge that mine has never failed me). An alter ego chop cup on rings and things 2 is only $50 for alumnimum and $70 for brass, and this is a far superior product. Both the Morrissey pocket and the alter ego chop cups have the advantage of looking like a jigger or something else a bartender would use and neither have a dimple. I just bought two more Morrissey pocket job cups from eBay for $10 (for both plus shipping). I have to say that my best working cup cup looks like one of those insulated plastic coffee cups from the 80s. The ball never comes out accidentally and you do not have to slam it in order for it to work either. I forgot who makes it, but I only paid $15 for it!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1856 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I found it easier to just steal the ball from the side of the cup, than inverting the chopped cup with the ball inside, an unnatural move.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
748 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
In my mind, if you are buying a quality set of cups that are designed and weighted so the chopped cup in the set is indistinguishable from the other cups, it makes sense to get a combo set. Such sets come with 4 standard balls and 1 chopped ball. Thus, you can use the set as a standard set if you wish or add the chopped ball and take advantage of the chop cup.

Just because one of the cups is chopped doesn’t mean you *have* to use the chop cup feature. By buying a combo set, you have all bases covered.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Advice on cups combo set or not? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL