The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Can't believe how good silver coins feel on hands (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SpongeBall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of SpongeBall
I have been using Eisenhower dollars for the most part. I recently purchased a set of Silver Morgans from ROY KUEPPERS. Wow are they beautiful! The shell is a perfect match and the coins feel like magic in your hands. I also purchased his Morgan S.C.B. which are now my favorite coins.

However, Searching around the net looking for steal Morgan dollars I stumbled across a 4 coins and shell set that surprised me! The set was 25 bucks and came with 2 shells. The coins are very real looking and feeling. The average person won't know the difference and for the money I was impressed. They are made in china someplace and available on ebay etc. Search around, I have seen these sell for 15 to 75.00 per set. I pasted an amazon link to show the set. They sell several gaff sets. If you don't have the money for the silver Morgans, this is the next best thing. BTW the oliver magic coins are nonmagnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/icechan-Morgan-Do......&sr=1-16
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Sorry, but no -- they aren't real looking at all for anyone that knows what a Morgan dollar looks like. They lack the detail of the real coin (look at the hair above the forehead), the nose is a joke, etc.
For anyone who knows, they look like $%#@!. Maybe "Joe Spectator" won't notice, but any coin collector you run into, or older person who's seen/used them would spot these as fake in a heartbeat.

There's inexpensive, and then there's cheap. Never buy cheap - it costs more in the long run. For $25 the Amazon set might make a good practice set if you're worried about dropping shells, etc.

For a very good looking shell set that won't break the piggy bank, look into the one from Bluether.
These aren't steel so you don't have magnetic properties (but real Morgans aren't either), but they're made from "white copper" (a copper alloy) which means the color you see is the color throughout the metal.
White copper doesn't tarnish easily so maybe not the best option if you prefer an aged look - not sure how it would react with patina solutions.

Bluether:

vs

Amazon link below

Quote:
On Jun 17, 2020, SpongeBall wrote:
However, Searching around the net looking for steal Morgan dollars I stumbled across a 4 coins and shell set that surprised me! The set was 25 bucks and came with 2 shells. The coins are very real looking and feeling. The average person won't know the difference and for the money I was impressed. They are made in china someplace and available on ebay etc. Search around, I have seen these sell for 15 to 75.00 per set. I pasted an amazon link to show the set. They sell several gaff sets. If you don't have the money for the silver Morgans, this is the next best thing. BTW the oliver magic coins are nonmagnetic.

https://www.amazon.com/icechan-Morgan-Do......&sr=1-16
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Think there are some good points made here, SpongeBall...Oh, and "Welcome" to the Café. Smile

I am a proponent of replica coins as a viable alternative to the real thing, and an avoidance as to any immediate need of more expensive silver oins. While I don't think most specs really care if the coins are real or not, I guess you could run into folks that remember more exactly as to what Morgans more actually look like. I have had all of it, including some exceptional silver sets, new looking and old looking. It's all a matter of taste. I've also seen better looking replicas than those from Oliver Magic, but it is a good set to play with, learn from, become more comfortable with the size of the coins, etc. Plus it comes with shells, so I'd say it's more of a win-win for more modest prices.

I have gotten replicas off eBay, just the 5 coins that look like the ones inigmntoya shows, no shell but they are magnetic, which I believe is more important an element than what they might look like inside the coin. Smile I actually use them much more so than real coins, and I've never been questioned as to them. Perhaps it's just my attitude and approach in using them. I guess it all depends on you, your pocketbook and what you're doing with them. The good thing is that you can always get silver coins when you can better afford them and appreciate them. In the meantime, it's good nowadays to have such varying levels as to viable, attainable alternatives. But ultimately, it's not so much what it is, but what you can do with it (and that goes for a lot of things in life). Smile So, no matter what you have, give it good practice and it will give you the ability to do wonderful magic with any of it. Smile

*Oh, and here I am sorta putting my money where my mouth is, using a replica Morgan... Smile

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Nice work MB Smile
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Replicas may be fine in many cases, *if* they’re quality replicas. Those “Oliver Magic” replicas do not qualify as quality replicas. Perhaps few spectators would know the difference, but some might — and I sure would, making me uncomfortable using them. They look like cartoon caricatures of the real thing. I’d stick with Eisenhowers before *downgrading* to those poor pseudo-silver knockoffs. To me, those are like using the painfully fake-looking Kennedy half shells that are cheaply (and all too obviously) *stamped* out of thin sheet metal. Ugh.

Rant mode off. Just hate to see utter junk sold to magicians.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
mrmagik68
View Profile
Special user
NYC
574 Posts

Profile of mrmagik68
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2020, Mb217 wrote:
Welcome here, Wednesday... Smile
I once picked up 5 old, worn Walking Liberties from an old coin shop in Durango, Colorado. I remember picking them out of a big jar on the counter there. I've had them now for years and they still feel super nice and fun to play with. Smile As to "switching or staying" with this or that, I still very much use both. I like the soft, silent Walkers when doing coins across, Gadabout, etc.

But I like those steel Morgans too, maven. Smile One of the best things that ever happened to coin magic, coming up with these replica coins. The well made ones look & feel great to handle, and give you that little extra something that's nice to have at the ready. Smile Of course, silver coins are nice and the topshelf stuff, but it's really good to have other wonderful, affordable alternatives available where you can still effectively make the magic happen. Enjoy it all. Smile

Hello Mb217!

Where can one get those replica coins you mentioned? Thanks!

Roberto
Original Card Clinician
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hi Roberto...😊

Joe Mogar used to make nice Morgan replicas, and all the gaffs too.

You could also check eBay if you’re just lookin for a few replicas, they usually sell them as a lot of 5 coins...all you really need for about $10 -15 bucks. 😉
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

SpongeBall
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of SpongeBall
Mb217 Thanks for the reply. Nice work with the coins. I love my real Morgan Silvers! The Oliver coins are perfect for practice and travel when you don't want to loose your real coins. I don't do magic for many coin collectors so Im not worried about someone commenting the coins arent real. I find the spectator is more interested in the magic more then the type of coins, poker chips etc. Thanks for the video. Once I learn how to upload a video I will. It would be great to get feedback from skilled magicians. Assuming my fake coins can be overlooked! LOL

Cheers
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Seems like a pretty good deal... Smile

https://www.amazon.com/WSNMING-Morgan-Ac......ZEHDYKYG

I'm just sayin'... Smile

TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
MB is just as awesome in person as he in the videos!
I was once with him in NYC and he did a Coin Routine for people in the Subway.
Was a true inspiration!!

MB you continue to amaze me!!

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, TC Ryder my man! Smile So good to hear from you my brother. Hope all is well and that you are staying safe in these crazy times.

And yeah, we had a blast that day. Smile Didn't think I was going to do that much magic for people here & there that day, but it was a lot of fun and having you there made it magically even better. Smile Hey, you showed me a wonderful card trick that day, blew my mind in that coffee shop. Smile Are you still selling those wonderful silver coin sets? Smile

Appreciate the kind words here, my old friend. And just for you TC, a blast from the past using the real stuff, the old ones my grandpa gave me... Smile
*And yes, that's my old Jeep in the background, too...Man, I loved that car! Smile

griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
You have quite a set of mitts on you, MB Smile

I'm still practicing Grandpa's coins. Eventually, I'll try a test performance, but that's still a bit off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Can't believe how good silver coins feel on hands (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL