The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » How I memorized Mnemonica (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
875 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Hi everyone,

I don’t know how many of you will be interested or care for this story of how I memorized Mnemonica, but hopefully those of you who are interested will find this story helpful and encouraging.

So I purchased Mnemonica back in 2010. I tried to memorize the stack using the methods in the book, for some reason they weren’t sticking. Several years ago, I purchased Harry Lorayne’s Memory Book, I studied the major system to memorize numbers, but that’s as far as I went. For some reason I never had the patience to study the peg system and the playing card words. So I gave up on Mnemonica altogether, thinking it would be impossible for me to learn. About a year ago, I returned to Harry’s book, and I sat down and studied BOTH the peg words from 1-100, and the playing card words, until they both became second nature. Now that I knew both systems very well, I decided to give Mnemonica another shot. I made the associations for each playing card on paper, and then I mentally tried to recall the association without looking at the paper. The result was successful. I went through the list on paper for about half an hour before trying to recall it on my own.

The pictures I made for each playing card were ridiculous and memorable, hence why it was easy for me to recall the order. I was amazed. All it took was 30 minutes, once I was familiar with both of Harry’s systems.

I regret not studying this sooner, because the magic you can achieve with Mnemonica is simply phenomenal.

I hope this will encourage those who are intimidated or those who have given up. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good luck!
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
By hook or by crook, whatever it took! Great approach. I also love Harry's work, although I got into it after learning mnemonica.

I brute forced the stack into short term memory and would play counting games while trying to sleep or while pumping gas. Things like:

1. Go through the order
2. Go through backwards
3. List the mnemonica values through NDO (51, 2, 28, 5, 8, 23, 41, 14, 17, 38, 20, 11, 35, 43 etc)
3. Imagine I deal the deck into two piles, what are the cards in the left pile? The right?
4. Imagine 3 piles. What are the cards in the ...
5. Where are the aces? Where are the twos? Where are the ...
6. I cut the Ace of Clubs to the face, what are the positions of the other aces relative to the new order

And I would play these games constantly, making harder and harder rules. It would help me sleep and keep me occupied during boring meetings and on flights. So short term memory moved to long term as I had to look at the information as elements in a problem I kept solving.

Fun fact: I still do this. Sometimes I'll even memorize strings of other numbers related to work or whatever as playing cards. I can remember license plate numbers, phone numbers, addresses etc because I associate the playing cards with the numerical value.

For example, Pour George bar in Manhattan was the King of Hearts and 5 of Hearts because it's 35 West 8th Street. The Washington Square Hotel I always see as the 2 of Spades and Seven of Diamonds because it's 103 Waverly Place.

It's possible I'm not that bright and this is just crazy talk.

Happy to hear of your method, and thanks for sharing!
-a
Gennovense
View Profile
New user
Santiago
43 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
I memorized Mnemonica in about 10 days just by using an Iphone app. I recommend doing that.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1053 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I learnt Mnemonica by pure rote memory and still remember it, even if I don't practise it and/or recite every given day.
No need to rely on no memory system.

Mark
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
You’ll learn it much quicker learning the peg system which is super easy to learn once you understand the phonetic alphabet. It’s the same way recommended by Simon Aronson in his book Bound To Please. Once you have the peg system memorized it’s like having a super power and you can memorize just about anything. I don’t know why more people on this forum don’t do it.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Of course. I've only taught it way back in my first book back in 1956 - which has sold over 10 million copies, so obviously some are paying attention. But "mark" my words - there are always those who keep "talking about" even though it's obvious to all (at least I hope it is) that they have no idea what they're talking about. (Or they do, but jealousy/hatefulness forces then....

Want a small, absolutely important piece of advice? Okay: Be very careful whose silly, unknowledgeable, words you listen to.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
51 Posts

Profile of draupnir
Hey Gennovense,d what app was that out of curiosity? I've been practicing using the methods described in the book where I wrote the number and drew pictures or something on each card to remember it and then practiced in sections while trying to name each card to some kind of tune in my head. I just started to work on memorizing this so it's still coming along but progress has been made!
Gennovense
View Profile
New user
Santiago
43 Posts

Profile of Gennovense
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2020, draupnir wrote:
Hey Gennovense,d what app was that out of curiosity? I've been practicing using the methods described in the book where I wrote the number and drew pictures or something on each card to remember it and then practiced in sections while trying to name each card to some kind of tune in my head. I just started to work on memorizing this so it's still coming along but progress has been made!

Memo Deck, the method is way better and entertaining than the others I've been told or read. I'm convinced anyone can learn the stack in 4-5 days.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
People who are NOT IN MAGIC AT ALL can learn a stack in AN HOUR OR LESS after learning my systems. What in the world is wrong with you?!

Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
141 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
Stack Master and Mnemonicosis are some other great apps (that are also available on android). I don't have any personal experience with Stack Master, but it gets recommended a bunch and people seem to enjoy it. I've been having a ton of fun with Mnemonicosis though!
Magic sees Magic.
Together we make each other better.
Do something amazing today.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2020, mlippo wrote:
I learnt Mnemonica by pure rote memory and still remember it, even if I don't practise it and/or recite every given day.
No need to rely on no memory system.

Mark

While I have no doubt one COULD learn a stack by rote, I think the benefits to learning a mnemonic system cannot be overstated.

Not just for the memorization of a stack, but for independent effects, and for life in general. Harry Lorayne has several books on the subject. I do not own all of them but would recommend any of the ones I have.

More generally, a peg system (or the Major System, used for something like 400+ years) would make things a lot easier. I don't have a financial incentive to encourage you to try to learn it, so I'm fine if you don't but I think it is a mistake to discount learning these methods, even if you already know a stack by heart.

If you'd rather learn a memory palace type system, you could do that too. I recommend "Moonwalking with Einstein" as a fun, albeit NOT INSTRUCTIVE, introduction into the world of memory. I'm sure that will tick somebody off here but it has more reviews than almost any other memory book on Amazon for a reason. Again, though, it is not INSTRUCTIVE per se, there are other books for that. It's similar to Josh Waitzkin's "Art of Learning" book, where you aren't going to be a chess or tai chi master but it might motivate you to take them up.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Posted: Apr 17, 2020 08:24 am
People who are NOT IN MAGIC AT ALL can learn a stack in AN HOUR OR LESS after learning my systems. What in the world is wrong with you?!

The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
May I suggest we put a sticky up on this forum that explains how to memorize a deck of cards? Its not rocket science! Once you learn it, and perform effects using it, you never really forget the stack. The quickest way is learning the peg system like I learned in Harry’s book, and Simon Aronson’s Bound to Please (also from Harry’s books). The great thing about the system is that its not a one trick pony. You can learn the systems and use them for anything! Remembering people’s names, lists, long numbers (for passwords),etc. There are way too many posts asking how to memorize a deck. I’d like to see more posts talking more about memdeck effects.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
327 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2020, The_MetalMaster wrote:
May I suggest we put a sticky up on this forum that explains how to memorize a deck of cards? Its not rocket science! Once you learn it, and perform effects using it, you never really forget the stack. The quickest way is learning the peg system like I learned in Harry’s book, and Simon Aronson’s Bound to Please (also from Harry’s books). The great thing about the system is that its not a one trick pony. You can learn the systems and use them for anything! Remembering people’s names, lists, long numbers (for passwords),etc. There are way too many posts asking how to memorize a deck. I’d like to see more posts talking more about memdeck effects.

I completely agree with ^^^.
draupnir
View Profile
New user
Texas
51 Posts

Profile of draupnir
I'm definitely going to have to check out memo deck! Anything that can be used for practice to keep improving my ability to quickly recall the card and position would be awesome. Thanks again Gennovense
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I learned the stack in blocks of 5 cards per day plus their positions forwards, backwards and mixed. In 10 days I had the entire stack down. The more you use the stack, the more it‘ll stick. Simple as that.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8447 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And if you learn my systems and then apply them - you can memorize/learn the stack in an hour or so. Simple as that.

Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, RickDangerous wrote:
I learned the stack in blocks of 5 cards per day plus their positions forwards, backwards and mixed. In 10 days I had the entire stack down. The more you use the stack, the more it'll stick. Simple as that.

10 days? I guess I'll give you kudos to you for sticking with it, in the same way I'd give kudos for somebody cutting down a redwood tree with a butter knife (I'm guessing that might take about 10 days as well). An illl-conceived approach but good for you for sticking through it.

That being said, that post should be a warning to anyone reading this thread. 10 days, to have a stack with no memory hooks, when you could learn the natural system AND a stack in a few days at most?

Rick Lax's Mnemonica trainer can have somebody with ZERO mnemonic experience remember the whole deck in 2 days for anyone THAT opposed to learning a memory system first.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Totally get where you come from. But believe me when I tell you, that some of the best practitioners of memdeck magic used this approach. And it wasn’t even hard to do. Again: learn it, use it and it becomes second nature. Don’t overthink this process.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » How I memorized Mnemonica (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL