The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impulse - By Looch (Penguin Magic Release) (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
513 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, tomd wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, Papa Legba wrote:
I fully agree with all the approving comments regarding DMCs, I have three of these decks. BUT I want to add a word about BROOKLYNS, I bought this superb deck over the counter at Tannen's Magic in NYC and, if you want to 'read minds' at a distance, let me tell you that even with my poor eyesight I can read these babies at 4 metres. Close-up you cannot see a thing. I cannot praise the deck too highly.

thanks for the suggestion, I had never heard of Brooklyn’s before. Sounds like it would be great for stage use!

Here's a review by magicorthodoxy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP0mJ5EH_C8
Use the FORCE Luke.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
I cannot comment on the Brooklyn decks, I would certainly like to get my hands on a set to play with! I have been using DMC's professionally ever since the first version of Phill Smith's optical system. I believe they were called the 'Great Whites', from there I went to the Black DMC's, Reds and the new latest Greens. I can honestly say they have been the best system I have ever used.
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
871 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, Looch wrote:
I cannot comment on the Brooklyn decks, I would certainly like to get my hands on a set to play with! I have been using DMC's professionally ever since the first version of Phill Smith's optical system. I believe they were called the 'Great Whites', from there I went to the Black DMC's, Reds and the new latest Greens. I can honestly say they have been the best system I have ever used.

Couldn't agree more. With the DMC's I can finally RELIABLY read a MD with my less than perfect eyesight. And, Impulse is terrific. Thanks, Looch.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I've seen lots of the material Looch performs with because I know him, and it's all big hitters, brain frying stuff. I *haven't* seen all of the new release but I know his repertoire (and the fact that AFAIK it is all stuff that he has performed commercially for years) and if that's what's on the download it's a must have for anyone performing with a marked deck.

Just real quick, since it was mentioned: The Brooklyn deck is remarkable - it's a kind of printed juice marking system, and because of the visual simplicity of it and the subtlety of the marks it is impossible to read unless you know what the system is. The range is CRAZY: I can easily read the ELITES at around 9ft, I've seen people read the Brooklyns at three times that. The compromise is that they are not a reader system, which means you have to learn how to decode the backs rather than just straight read the card, which increases the mental load in performance - but short of using a confederate, or an Insight deck and a thumper, there's not much that can beat that range!

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Question for everyone (especially Looch) regarding REAPER.

Would this be as strong?:

1. Start with the cards in your favorite s***k.

2. Holding the deck openly in your outstretched hand,

3. Have them cut off a good sized chunk of cards and hold it to their chest so you can't see anything.

4. Turn your back, tell them to look at and memorize the card on the face of the chunk, then lose that card by thoroughly shuffling the chunk.

5. While they are doing this, you can determine what they are thinking (because you are holding the remainder of the cards and know the s***k).

6. Once they are satisfied that they mixed their cut off chunk of cards sufficiently, turn around, put the cards YOU are holding aside, take the chunk of cards THEY cut/shuffled and proceed accordingly.

If I communicated this properly it should be clear that A) You are starting with a few less cards, B) The end reveal will be a card that they are just thinking of, and that you couldn't possibly have known.

What are your thoughts?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Calvin826 wrote:

3. Have them cut off a good sized chunk of cards and hold it to their chest so you can't see anything.

4. Turn your back, tell them to look at and memorize the card on the face of the chunk, then lose that card by thoroughly shuffling the chunk.

5. While they are doing this, you can determine what they are thinking (because you are holding the remainder of the cards and know the s***k).

6. Once they are satisfied that they mixed their cut off chunk of cards sufficiently, turn around, put the cards YOU are holding aside, take the chunk of cards THEY cut/shuffled and proceed accordingly.

If I communicated this properly it should be clear that A) You are starting with a few less cards, B) The end reveal will be a card that they are just thinking of, and that you couldn't possibly have known.

What are your thoughts?

Hi Calvin

The strength of The Reaper is in the fact that you can perform the entire effect without ever touching the deck of cards. You can perform this effect with a blindfold on (as I have) in the past with just a standard down the nose peek.

I hope that helps
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Looch wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Calvin826 wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Hi Calvin

The strength of The Reaper is in the fact that you can perform the entire effect without ever touching the deck of cards. You can perform this effect with a blindfold on (as I have) in the past with just a standard down the nose peek.

I hope that helps

Duh- my bad Looch. The above was meant to be an approach to THE DEALER, not The Reaper.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I see where you are going in regards to burning half the deck, but, one of the strengths of the dealer is that they name any card rather than pick it, you can say they are just thinking it but they will remember cutting and it just adds another procedure for them to be suspicious of if they are that way inclined

I love the dealer, I find it so much fun to perform which comes across in performance and it’s so strong!
Loungedeluxe
View Profile
New user
Belgium
5 Posts

Profile of Loungedeluxe
Looch showed me "The Reaper" and "The Dealer" at Mind Summit in Germany a couple of years ago. We were a table of (semi) pro mentalists and were all deeply fooled. Looch generously shared the secrets, immediately. Since then, I have been performing The Reaper at each close-up performance and it DEEPLY shocks the audience. The Dealer is more sophisticated and I did not remember all explanations Looch provided back then, so I am very happy to have them on video now (and forever).

Frankly, at 19.95$ this is a f*ing crazy bargain. Just one of the routines is worth much more because, I guarantee, you WILL use them in your professional repertoire and freeze your audience with them. The other 3 routines are great too.

Technically, the video is very well made with various live shootings for each routine and the explanations by Looch are crystal clear.

Jump on this !

Louis Loriot
Louis Loriot | Magician & Mentalist | Brussels, Belgium | www.louisloriot.com
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Loungedeluxe wrote:
Frankly, at 19.95$ this is a f*ing crazy bargain. Just one of the routines is worth much more because, I guarantee, you WILL use them in your professional repertoire and freeze your audience with them. The other 3 routines are great too.
Louis Loriot

Very true!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, TheGingerWizard wrote:
I see where you are going in regards to burning half the deck, but, one of the strengths of the dealer is that they name any card rather than pick it, you can say they are just thinking it but they will remember cutting and it just adds another procedure for them to be suspicious of if they are that way inclined

I love the dealer, I find it so much fun to perform which comes across in performance and it’s so strong!

Very true, They name their card as they are shuffling it. It seems truly impossible.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, phillsmiff wrote:
I've seen lots of the material Looch performs with because I know him, and it's all big hitters, brain frying stuff. I *haven't* seen all of the new release but I know his repertoire (and the fact that AFAIK it is all stuff that he has performed commercially for years) and if that's what's on the download it's a must have for anyone performing with a marked deck.

Just real quick, since it was mentioned: The Brooklyn deck is remarkable - it's a kind of printed juice marking system, and because of the visual simplicity of it and the subtlety of the marks it is impossible to read unless you know what the system is. The range is CRAZY: I can easily read the ELITES at around 9ft, I've seen people read the Brooklyns at three times that. The compromise is that they are not a reader system, which means you have to learn how to decode the backs rather than just straight read the card, which increases the mental load in performance - but short of using a confederate, or an Insight deck and a thumper, there's not much that can beat that range!

Phill

Thank you Phill, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Yes all the routines in there are the ones I use now in my shows! If anyone finds a supplier for the Brooklyns I would like to take a look at them Smile
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
331 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Looch, is there any way to buy this from you? Do you get any of the profits?
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? Vincent V.G
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2020, Goldfield wrote:
Looch, is there any way to buy this from you? Do you get any of the profits?

Hi there, thank you for your support. This being a Penguin release means they are the only outlet you can purchase it from. I do get a percentage for it however so all purchases do support me.

Thanks again!
otreboR
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
236 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Nice product Looch! As always.

Do you workers always use a MD at gigs?
Even if you are not doing effects where a MD is needed.
DocT25
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of DocT25
Looch - this is a fantastic download. Really loved it!

As for a source of Brooklyns, try here:
https://www.slimcardco.com/customgaffedcards
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1944 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, otreboR wrote:

I used to keep one on me like a security blanket, but almost never use it.
Impulse pushed me over the edge though. I just stocked up on more DMC’s.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2020, Loungedeluxe wrote:
Looch showed me "The Reaper" and "The Dealer" at Mind Summit in Germany a couple of years ago. We were a table of (semi) pro mentalists and were all deeply fooled. Looch generously shared the secrets, immediately. Since then, I have been performing The Reaper at each close-up performance and it DEEPLY shocks the audience. The Dealer is more sophisticated and I did not remember all explanations Looch provided back then, so I am very happy to have them on video now (and forever).

Technically, the video is very well made with various live shootings for each routine and the explanations by Looch are crystal clear.

Jump on this !

Louis Loriot

Thank you Louis! Hope you are ok and look forward to seeing you again soon hopefully 🙏🏼
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, otreboR wrote:

I pretty much use a MD exclusively 👍🏼
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3354 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2020, DocT25 wrote:
Looch - this is a fantastic download. Really loved it!

As for a source of Brooklyns, try here:
https://www.slimcardco.com/customgaffedcards

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I will check out those Brooklyn’s 🙏🏼
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impulse - By Looch (Penguin Magic Release) (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL