The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Bob Hummer's Little Stranger (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nevbar1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nevbar1
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone can explain the mathematics of Bob Hummer's Little Stranger trick (aka the pocket trick). I understand the mechanics of the trick - just trying to fathom the mathematics. I can see some sort of connection/logic to the key numbers used in the trick but just can't seem to gain a true understanding of WHY the trick works. Has anyone unpacked this trick or found a site/paper that does?
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of saxonia
In the first round, let B be the number of black cards that go to the left pocket, so 15-B cards go to the right.

In the second round, the spectator takes 15-B cards. This means that 52-(15-B) remain.
Hence, when we know the number of remaining cards (blacks and reds taken together), we can easily find out B.
So, from the number of remaining cards alltogether we can already conclude the number of cards in the hip pockets.

Once we know how many reds and blacks are in the hip pockets, and we know how many blacks and reds are in the remaining stack, we know how many reds and how many blacks are missing. Those are in the pants pockets.
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Buenos Aires, ARG
202 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Barrie Richardson published a very interesting version in Act Two. It uses a bag of marbles and it's called "Marble Memories" (p150).
Nevbar1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nevbar1
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2020, saxonia wrote:
In the first round, let B be the number of black cards that go to the left pocket, so 15-B cards go to the right.

In the second round, the spectator takes 15-B cards. This means that 52-(15-B) remain.
Hence, when we know the number of remaining cards (blacks and reds taken together), we can easily find out B.
So, from the number of remaining cards alltogether we can already conclude the number of cards in the hip pockets.

Once we know how many reds and blacks are in the hip pockets, and we know how many blacks and reds are in the remaining stack, we know how many reds and how many blacks are missing. Those are in the pants pockets.
Nevbar1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nevbar1
Thanks for the response. I was more intrigued with piles c and d. I couldn't see how the counting identified the number of colours in each pile. However, a bit of a quite moment during this lock down and a tiny dose of algebra has now sorted it. Thanks for your response.
Nevbar1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nevbar1
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, federico luduena wrote:
Barrie Richardson published a very interesting version in Act Two. It uses a bag of marbles and it's called "Marble Memories" (p150).
Nevbar1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Nevbar1
Thanks for the response. I'll look this up.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Bob Hummer's Little Stranger (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL