The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Powers of Darkness - Mike Caveney (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4856 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Need a review on this effect, sounds very interesting:
Click Here!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Based on Corinda's routine which you can probably find in 13 Steps To Mentalism.

Paul.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've seen this and the Corinda routine. Both are great! It gets great laughs and is reliable, unlike the Paperballs Over The Head which really requires a stooge to work consistently.
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
I have performed Slydini's Paper Balls over the Head for more years than I care to remember and never required a stooge. Performed properly, Slydini's routine is consistently reliable.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Allen Gittelson
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
145 Posts

Profile of Allen Gittelson
Yes, it is based on Corinda's Powers of Darkness, but Powers of Darkness is not in 13 Steps. Powers of Darkness is a separate manuscript, which may still be available. Powers of Darkness is in the Digital Pabular along with all the other wonderful contents.

As for Caveney's routine, I have a pamphlet which details it and I would love to make this a regular part of my act. I have never witness Caveney perform it, but I've heard many people say absolutely wonderful things about his performance of it. I would love to see it.

In thoughts,
Allen
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Hi all,

I'm little bit confused about this trick, is it some mentalism trick or just parlour trick with done by coat hangers because I hear some say that it connected with 13 Step to Mentalism?

Hengky
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Mike Caveny has really updated Corinda's Power of Darkness.
The use of the bend out of shape coathangers makes more sense these days than the hoop. Many magician's would stay away from the original routine because you expose the hoop as having the gap, which is almost exactly like the key ring in their linking ring set.
The effect is marvelous as you make the hanger penetrate the locked arms of the spectator over and over, each time being more impossible. The spectator on stage is asked to close her eyes and the whole audience is seeing the method. This is the similarity to the Slydini Flight Of The Paper Balls routine.
Caveny also has the routine in his lecture notes "Ideas" and he used to sell the necessary coathangers. Now I understand he sells this complete with a video performance and explanation taped at one of his lectures.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
It's a very good routine. I use it sometimes to open my mentalism act, and the idea is to explain to the audience that perception is everything. You demonstrate that by showing that the helpers on stage will see one thing happen, but all the rest will see something else.

It's a very nice introduction to my act. Thanks, Mr. Caveney...

Hope this helps...

kuffs
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 16:19, Alan Munro wrote:
I've seen this and the Corinda routine. Both are great! It gets great laughs and is reliable, unlike the Paperballs Over The Head which really requires a stooge to work consistently.

Powers of Darkness is a great routine. What disturbs me is the above comment. I am very curious to know if you actually were taught the routine correctly or have done what most do - trying it without really knowing the particulars which is usually the way great pieces are ruined?
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
A magician collegue performed this to me, and I was blown away! He shared the secret working with me. Some time later I attended a meeting where he performed this again, and I could then watch the spectators reactions. Unfortunately it was a mild reaction, and I know that at least one of the spectators did not understand the point of the trick (those who have this will know what I mean). I hope it was a rare occasion, and that this trick use to receive greater reactions. As a comparison I use to do a similar thing where I blindfold a child and lift her up and put her on a bench or something, and then I guide her to slowly walk forward and do different stunts like standing on one leg etc. I assume you all know how it ends. Strangely, everyone, even the children, seem to understand the point of the trick, and enjoy it.

Mikael
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Isn't this on Tom Mullica's Impromptu Magic video? Smile
What is the color of magic?
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Do you mean the thing with the blindfold and the child? I have no idea...

Mikael
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Joe:

I think Alan was referring to a catcher. While not necessary, it could help to have a helper innocently Smile aiding in the background.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2106 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I have the Caveney version, though I actually prefer the original, as I find it easier to transport rings than large coat hangers. I can see the appeal of coathangers to some, but I just prefer the rings.

I know that people often compare this to Paper Balls Over the Head, but I think the resemblance is only superficial (participant alone is fooled -- audience is entertained). I see Paper Balls more as a running gag type of effect, while Powers of Darkness excels as an object lesson in the role of perception... a great mentalism item, for example, and a good fit for corporate audiences. And whereas the former is pretty much self-revealing, it's actually quite difficult for viewers to reconstruct PoD later.

PoD was not Corinda's only contribution to the notion of purely psychological effects, though it's by far his best known (and it's interesting that none of this stuff is in "13 Steps"). I find this sort of thing to be very effective for the right audiences.

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I have POD and love it. I recently saw Mike perform it at Magic In The Rockies convention. Mike purchased the rights to Corinda's effect and added his unique performance enhancements. You get the props, a booklet and a wonderful video including performance and explanation. Having seen Mike perform it, I can attest to the tremendous response it gets. Very much worth the purchase price and then some! PS - For the routine to be reliable, you need to be respectful to your volunteers throughout your entire performance.
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4930 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Powers of Darkness by Corinda is available
in the Digital Pabular.
It is not in 13 steps.
Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
snilsson
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
186 Posts

Profile of snilsson
To clear up some of the confusion, let me tell you the effect of Mike Caveney's "The Powers of Darkness Come Out of the Closet." It's real simple: a wire coathanger is caused to penetrate on and off a spectator's arm while his eyes are closed. The audience sees how the trick is done.

The mechanics of the trick are not hard. However, it requires an expert performer to pull it off. In Mike Caveney's hands it's a beautiful piece and it looks so easy. But don't be fooled; this is not for beginners. Even expert performers should expect to put in many hours of rehearsals.

Jim Steinmeyer has published a similar routine in his booklet, "Strange Power & Other Problems for Magicians." In his routine all five senses are being manipulated.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Just got back to this thread -- didn't see the stuff about the Paper Balls. I haven't performed the paperballs in years because sometimes the acoustics were such that the spectator could hear the tissue landing behind them. I've talked with a well-known performer, in my area, who has also had problems with the routine.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2002-07-23 16:19, Alan Munro wrote:

Tell that to Tony! Oops, he's dead. Well, try telling any of his students (like me) who have been doing the paper balls for years. I have NEVER used a stooge, and never run into problems with it. You need to pick your performances carefully, and it is really about managing the spectator - not an easy trick to do well - though I would guess I've performed without a hitch several hundred times. Of course I had the benefit of Tonys' tutelage.

Best, PSC

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Fabius
View Profile
New user
Germany
79 Posts

Profile of Fabius
Yes, I agree with the comments!
I love POWER OF DARKNESS - but I think Mike could sell the skript only for less money.
Fabius
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Powers of Darkness - Mike Caveney (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL