The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Doing live show for kids via Zoom (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Has anyone tried doing a live show via Zoom? I have a client that wants me to do a 20-30 min live interactive show for the kids of their clients, probably 20 kids who will be in their own homes. If you've tried it, how did it go? My regular show is a mix of magic, vent and gags with volunteers for about half my stuff and all very interactive. I told the client that I don't know how well it will go, but I'm guessing it will at least be OK. I'll have a bunch of material ready so if 1 type of thing isn't working I can switch to stuff that is working well. The client doesn't know the age range. I'll suggest the parents supervise, especially the younger kids, in case I have issues since I'm not in person. I might even teach them a trick or 2 if the show isn't working. I've only used Zoom once for a group meeting for my improv group, we are going to try and do a Match Game type of show for adults with 9 of us on Zoom.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Like the idea, but how do you do an "interactive" show online?
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I'll be able to see them and talk to them, so I can do my usual stuff except for them coming up front to assist with the wands, physically pick a color from a bag, etc. But I can still get them to use stuff they have at home for a wand, etc. I don't know how well a zoom show will work, but I know some guys are doing it already. One guy on FB said he has 5 zoom shows this weekend.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Oh, that's very cool. Just saw a news report last night that zoom is being targeted by hackers... one guy had 100 people online and then racial slurs began appearing along with obscene drawings. just fyi. good luck with your endeavors.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
That's a great question dan I was thinking the same. I had 3 clients ask me to do a zoom I have no clue what to say.i was going to do a shorter show and charge a very very small fee and tell them to donate whatever they want to a hospital by getting them pizza pies....i just don't know what tricks would be good to perform and its hard to do without volunteers....i can have my kids help me as volunteers. any ideas? thanks
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Folks, this is a very topical offering... one online dealer is selling a download script for a presentation that centers around teaching 3-6 year olds about proper handwashing and other practices that uses typical children magic props (most of which you have) in a completely hands off, no volunteer presentation. I purchased it, and to be honest it's overpriced, considering you can brainstorm your own routines quite easily. BUT... it did get me inspired to do so, and so I think it was worth it. With this downtime, it's a great time to get creative.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I spoke to my friend and fellow DC area children's entertainer, The Great Zucchini, last week. He's started doing a truncated version (25 minutes long) of his kids' show online. He told me had already done several and had booked an additional 17.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Yeah, Zucchini said on another forum to put the kids on mute, but I'm not clear why, maybe they talk too much, but laughter and crowd energy is contagious. So it would seem tough to get the kids laughing and engaged without hearing each other. I don't know, I'll see on Thursday.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Zucchini told me that if any kid has his smart phone on unmute and then makes a sound, the image everyone sees on their screen shifts at that moment from the performer to the kid making the sound. Every member of the audience has to mute their device in order for the performer's image and performance to remain in continuous view.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Evidently you can get around that problem of the performer not always being the biggest view by spotlighting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYvG-jkBJQ https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362653
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I just did my first Zoom show for about 20 kids, for the kids of a company's clients. The client was happy. I would say the results were a mixed bag. Some material that works well in person didn't seem to work well. I recorded it so I'll go back and learn from it for next time. I tried both muting everyone and unmuting. I ended up leaving it on unmute most of the time cause I needed to hear how they were reacting, and it's hard to be funny and play to the group without hearing them. But there was one kid who was playing a toy keyboard on and off, I asked him to stop but of course that didn't work well. I should have made a few ground rules before I started, and maybe even emailed the info for the client to pass along with the invite, though I did ask the client to request that the parents be with the kids. I did one virtual gag with a virtual video in the background, that worked out well.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Have not heard good things that's why I'm not doing!!!! and I don't want other people watching not see the real me!!!!!
longdeademperor
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of longdeademperor
Thanks for posting those links about the Spotlighting feature on Zoom, Dan. It makes a massive difference.
eric.qq
View Profile
New user
NYC
10 Posts

Profile of eric.qq
Thanks Danfreed! the Spotlight vs Pin Video in Zoom rocks!
Just curious how much will everyone charge for the zoom show? half price or even less?
I haven't got any virtual show yet. still trying.
Thanks.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Yeah, I'm curious what people are charging also. I did my last one for less than half price, and my birthday one I have next is less than 1/3rd price. The reason it's so cheap is cause it will take me a while to get the hang of doing a consistent show, they are done from home, and they are shorter shows, and people will be more likely to try it if it's not expensive. The one I did was around 25 minutes and the next will be 15-20 min. One thing I realized is that for the birthday I have scheduled, the mom wants to greet and chat with guests before the show and do cake/singing after the show, so she wants to host it rather than me. So I told her to put me on spotlight most of the time and she can cut to the birthday child sometimes. She also said she will monitor kids talking and mute the ones who are a problem.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Really good info and ideas: https://vimeopro.com/user21422866/msmc-459udc and here: http://www.jamesthemagician.com/magicians/ . I assume it's OK to post those links since it was public via FB.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I've just finished setting up ZOOM. I'm anxious to see how my first performance on ZOOM will work out. I do have a show put together that don't need helpers. That is going to be a bit strange, after so many years of interacting with children.
Tricky Ricky
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
I'm thinking about maybe putting together a little show not sure what tricks would be good for zoom?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Be good to get a list of names of the kids and then mention them in the show.

Maybe say something like I can see you.Smile

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Reminds me of the old Romper Room
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Doing live show for kids via Zoom (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL