The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Why are so many 'reviews' NOT reviews at all??? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

nyborn
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of nyborn
What is categorized as a review is typically an announcement of an item, new or otherwise, with the sales product matketing description and link to purchase. No mention of actually using or applying.
Then a bunch of posters jump in about how eager they are to get it and how great the authors previous work is. I'm a fan of certain filmmakers,and while a subject they're tackling may appeal to me initially, I wait to find out more before buying a ticket.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
We do have rules to govern this. The latest and greatest forum is for announcements of new or upcoming releases. A member may post about his own product as long as he doesn't provide pricing or links to his own site for purchase. He can make the announcement saying it's available from dealer "xxx" or "yyy".

That forum however is not for reviews of the product. We have specific forums for reviews. We have two scenarios. One is the a new product and the review is placed in Latest and Greatest. The other is the announcement is posted in the review forum instead of latest and greatest.

We can't be everywhere all the time and don't always see these mistakes. The best thing to do if you see one is to report it which will bring it to our attention.
Where the magic begins
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Good point. NYborn. However, there can be other reasons as well. Recently I mentioned a coin magic booklet, for instance. I did not want to give a full review because
I knew some people would use some things more than others. So if it involves more than one trick, like a book or even variations of it, sometimes people are rightly wary of breaking down every bit of it. Some magicians will consider something trash, and for others it will be a treasure.

At the same time, the problem you mentioned is quite valid and is part of a "marketing mentality" to increase sales and to avoid a realistic review. I agree with you.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Please read my response above. In this particular case, over 50 topics from the review forum were reported as needing to be moved to Latest and Greatest forum. Most of these topics were a year of more old and moving them to the latest and greatest forum would be a little out of place. I did move what I could when it made sense. Since we don't have control over where a member posts, it's really up to the individual member to choose the correct forum.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Why are so many 'reviews' NOT reviews at all??? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL