The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Considerations when seated at a table (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6441 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Here is something from the Professor wonderfully suited for the seated performer.
https://youtu.be/22HEdtzyccA
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi magicfish,

You've given me so much help during the time I've been on the Café -- I really appreciate it. I'm not progressing quickly, but I *am* progressing, and your videos and other ideas have been a significant part of that. Year after next I'll start retirement and will get to spend much more time on magic.

First comment on the video: Wow! I don't know the mechanics of the Prof's handling, but you certainly carried them out in a way that took me by surprise!

Second: I'm trying to figure out the angles here. On the one hand, it looks like you're performing at a table that's about the height of a coffee table. So, *if* you were sitting in a chair of normal height, then I can see how you'd be able to lower your arms farther so as to make the cards visible to the audience without having to bend your wrists uncomfortably back.

But -- it looks to me like you're sitting in on a a couch or something that's much lower than a usual-sized chair. I would think that that would cancel the advantage that I just described.

In a nutshell, my question is this: what is it about this sleight, and the way you're performing it, that allows the spectator to see the backs and faces of the cards clearly? I can see one answer in the video. At the end when you pull out the aces from the top of the deck, you display them by holding them with your forearm vertical and your fingers pointing upward. On the other hand, I was also able to get a decent view of the aces just *before* you removed them from the deck. So there's something I'm missing.

Sorry about the rambling nature of this post; I just don't quite know what I want to ask.

I keep asking about the EC because I've made lots of progress on that one and am working on some tricks that use it. I remember that you posted your execution of the EC to help me see what it should look like, but I believe the camera was above the cards, so there was no problem seeing their backs.

Ah well, I'd be grateful for anything you can say that might clarify things for me.

Thanks again,

Bob
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6441 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Hi Bob. Glad you're thinking deeply about our craft. Are yo familiar with the Dingle No-Lap Switch? It is a beautiful card move- and most certainly can be performed seated.
The Vernon Addition above can be done seated because of the mechanics of it. It just works. Adjustments must obviously be made at different times in different circumstances but it works when seated. Try it and see.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6441 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Here is another, (s favourite of the late, great, Simon Aronson):

https://youtu.be/-qWG96j-XFU
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, magic fish -- yes, I am thinking about it, and its a craft well worth thinking about. One of my problems is that there's a big gap between my intellectual knowledge and my physical abilities. May I live long enough to dribble the way you do! And I mean just dribble; I'm not even thinking about what can be done with it. In other words, my ability to do sleights is far behind my ability to talk about them.

That's why I keep coming back to the Elmsley Count. That's a sleight I can actually do, though I'm still working on consistency. It took me many months to learn. So, much though I appreciate the sleights you're mentioning -- and I'd be the last person in the world to ask you to stop feeding me demos, which I enjoy and am learning from -- I feel that what I really need right now is advice about what attributes make a sleight suited for seated work. The EC poses a particular problem, it seems to me, because in most cases one *wants* the spectator to be looking at one's hands, and they'll miss the effect if they don't see the cards.

Hope that makes sense...

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Considerations when seated at a table (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL