The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Darkest Corners of my mind Ben Harts new Book (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Hello everyone!

Ben Hart is putting a new book out with Vanishing Inc, Ive just saw this on ShareMagicLive.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
They had some copies at the session in January. It’s the beat book I’ve read in ages. Definitely treat yourself when it’s released!
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Whats the book about
Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of Oliver Munoz Gutierrez
It looked like parlour/stage magic. But release will be tomorrow. Than there should be more information.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I picked this up after seeing Ben's lecture at Blackpool 2020. First off, I didn't know a huge amount about his work before hand. I'd seen a few pieces from a TV show he did and of course his performances on BGT and AGT. When his lecture began, it took all of 5 minutes for his style and his thinking to become apparent. He sucked me and most of the people in that room in straight away. The room was packed to the rafters, people standing all around, hundreds of magicians and yet, you could hear a pin drop when Ben was speaking. As soon as he mentioned the book, I knew I had to get it.

Firstly, the production quality of the book is amazing. Vanishing Inc always seem to mention how beautiful each book is that they release but this for me, is one of the most beautiful I have in my collection. It oozes quality, class and as soon as you open it and start reading, you will notice the love that has gone into it. Bens magic is an absolute breath of fresh air and the way he thinks about magic is considered, clever and with tons of heart. He performed an effect at his lecture with a matchbox and spoke about how it was intended to be used in the darkness. The entire effect is presented in pitch black which adds a wonderful dynamic to a performance but goes against everything that magic should be. To have an entire piece of magic that is baffling, so incredibly interesting to watch and presented in a way that is unapologetically bizarre, beautifully illustrates what this book is about. Not many performers can use a single matchbox and pure darkness to draw in an audience like Ben seems to!

The material in this book is so intriguing, from the matchbook to the now famous egg on fan trick that Ben got a standing ovation for on Britains Got Talent, there are so many truly unique, compelling and sometimes unusual pieces of magic in here that like me, you will read this book from cover to cover several times, each time with a constant smile on your face. Definitely one of the best books I have read in years and one I couldn't give a higher recommendation too!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
12 tricks taught from this Britain's Got Talent Finalist! Many are easy to do and can be done for 20 or more people. More than the tricks, there is real knowledge in this book tucked away in essays and personal statements. Ben gives advice on how to structure and develop a stage show, and how to use camera projection not only to present magic in a large theater, but to take advantage of the blind spots you choose not to film. Includes 300 pages with over 250 large full-color photographs. The cover is a hardbound cloth with reflective rainbow foil.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=66404

best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
NeilKelso
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of NeilKelso
Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for your interest in The Darkest Corners, and for the kind words too!

It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying the book.

There’s a video review of the book by Steve Faulkner on his channel Real Magic Review which walks through the book - you might like to check it out: https://youtu.be/UDNEwr8r8lg

Thanks again for your support, and kindest wishes to you all.

Neil 😊
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I immediately picked this up the moment it went on preorder. I don’t know Ben, I’ve never seen his show, but the content sounded right up my alley.

I’m excited to dive in.

Madison Hagler
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
Here is my take on this latest release from Vanishing Inc.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Great book. Very well written and an easy read. Material is different and fantastic.
Rspangl
View Profile
New user
Ohio
54 Posts

Profile of Rspangl
Beautiful book. I like this book because it is full of stand-up/parlor material, and I had a chance to see many of the pieces performed. It's also full of scripting.
Ron Spangler
CampBrand
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of CampBrand
Ben is a magical maverick and his biographer, Neil Kelso, is no less inspired. There is passion and curiosity and hope and revelation and even some fire and brimstone between the covers of this landmark must-read. This is a treasure box filled with radiant gems and devilish goblins. I am so very sad to have finished it, but thrilled to dig in a second, a third, a fourth time... I cannot recommend this book enough.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
This has been such a quiet thread... I don’t understand it.

Maybe my review will help spark more conversation as I think it’s one of the best books in a long time.

https://www.magicreview.org/post/the-dar......ben-hart

Madison
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Darkest Corners of my mind Ben Harts new Book (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL