The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Bannon's AK47 vs Carey's Think and Sync (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
137 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
As I said, we will make a moment with the spectator that is partly random and partly freely chosen. The value they choose is random (as far as they know!). The suit they choose is freely chosen (well, out three possibilities). Depending on the final outcome, you might circle back and ask if anything was free or random after all.
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
137 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I hope we're not talking past each other due to different versions of TAS. I actually have the Further Thoughts version in mind. In that one, they pick a card that seems random to them, but they only use its value. They choose the suit freely. So my idea was to limit the suit choice like you did, but to do that by asking them to change the suit of the "random" card after they see it. Hence, the final card they think of is partly random (value) and partly freely chosen (suit).
"Magic is the only kind of entertainment where 90% of the audience is trying to ruin it for themselves." - Pete Holmes
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On May 11, 2021, JonHackl wrote:
I hope we're not talking past each other due to different versions of TAS. I actually have the Further Thoughts version in mind. In that one, they pick a card that seems random to them, but they only use its value. They choose the suit freely. So my idea was to limit the suit choice like you did, but to do that by asking them to change the suit of the "random" card after they see it. Hence, the final card they think of is partly random (value) and partly freely chosen (suit).

Yes, we are talking about two different version of TAS. As EndersGame explained few posts ago, "there are two main versions [...]: a) The original uses Jokers, more sleights, and includes a shuffle by spectator; b) The revised version uses a key card, no jokers, less sleights, but also no shuffle by spectator".

So you are talking about TAS-A. I'm talking about TAS-B from The Vault, here an edited performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgSPL5zDv3Y

As you can see, in TAS-B spectator takes a random number of card from the deck and this number determines the value of the card.

I don't know TAS-A, but you can modify a little you scrip in this way: "in your mind, change the colour of that card and choose a suit of that colour". In this way, you eliminate two suits, not only one.
What would a real mindreader do?
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
137 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
I can't help but wonder if there might be three versions. Further Thoughts doesn't use any jokers, but it does allow spectator shuffling, so it doesn't really fit the A or B description.

EDIT: But yes! Asking them to pick a suit that changes the colour of the card should probably work well. I'll test it out when I have a chance. That would simplify the TOO revelation process.
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
I can't help but wonder if there might be three versions. Further Thoughts doesn't use any jokers, but it does allow spectator shuffling, so it doesn't really fit the A or B description.

OK, it is free so I have just downloaded "Further Thoughts" to check it out. I don't like it at all. Smile
I think the force used is very weak. It is way way better (more deceptive and justified, shorter and less confusing) to use the Cross Cut Force instead, for example.

Quote:
EDIT: But yes! Asking them to pick a suit that changes the colour of the card should probably work well. I'll test it out when I have a chance. That would simplify the TOO revelation process.

I think it is perceived as fair from the spectator and it simplifies our work. Smile
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
137 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Quote:
On May 11, 2021, ipe wrote:
I think the force used is very weak.

Yes, you're probably right. I have a couple new ideas, but I need to think them through and tinker with them a bit.
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
Quote:
On May 11, 2021, ipe wrote:
I think the force used is very weak.

Yes, you're probably right. I have a couple new ideas, but I need to think them through and tinker with them a bit.

If you would like, please keep us informed about your reflections. Smile
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
137 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
It might be tough to describe them w/o going to the Banquet. I think I can manage describing one of them safely, which is an alternative force. It's a force I've seen a few times, but can only remember one reference, which is Bannon's Mark of the Fabulous in Dear Mr. Fantasy. He attributes the idea to Fred Lowe, but doesn't give a reference. I think it might be Question in Sharpe's Expert Card Mysteries, but I don't own that book yet so I can't check.

The idea is that the spectator cuts a random number of cards from the deck, in this case let's say anywhere from a few cards up to a quarter or so of the deck, and hides that packet. I would then deal off a number of cards from the deck into a packet (the exact number depending on my preparation). The spectator could then flip cards over from both his packet and mine simultaneously until reaching the last card in his. The next card in my packet would be a "random" card.

It's this card which the spectator would use to keep its value and mentally change its suit. So, again, it's a partly random, partly free card selection. Then I could go into the TOO reveal. This force is mostly in the spectator's hands, but is less transparent than the Further Thoughts force (or cross-cut, or Balducci, or similar). It's not, however, so direct as some alternatives, which may be a weakness.

The second idea is a way of using the TOO/AK-47 key card for a spectator's completely free selection of a card, but possibly disguising it better. I don't think I can explain it here safely. I'm going to think it through some more, and then post it "downstairs." I'll let you know, because I'll want feedback!
ipe
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
It might be tough to describe them w/o going to the Banquet. I think I can manage describing one of them safely, which is an alternative force. It's a force I've seen a few times, but can only remember one reference, which is Bannon's Mark of the Fabulous in Dear Mr. Fantasy. He attributes the idea to Fred Lowe, but doesn't give a reference. I think it might be Question in Sharpe's Expert Card Mysteries, but I don't own that book yet so I can't check.

The idea is that the spectator cuts a random number of cards from the deck, in this case let's say anywhere from a few cards up to a quarter or so of the deck, and hides that packet. I would then deal off a number of cards from the deck into a packet (the exact number depending on my preparation). The spectator could then flip cards over from both his packet and mine simultaneously until reaching the last card in his. The next card in my packet would be a "random" card.

It's this card which the spectator would use to keep its value and mentally change its suit. So, again, it's a partly random, partly free card selection. Then I could go into the TOO reveal. This force is mostly in the spectator's hands, but is less transparent than the Further Thoughts force (or cross-cut, or Balducci, or similar). It's not, however, so direct as some alternatives, which may be a weakness.

Hi Jon, if I understood correctly, you are talking about a variant of the Clock Card Force (I don't know the precise name, if this exists). You can see it in Harris' OverKill here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOTkimjyP8k
JonHackl
View Profile
Regular user
Western Australia
137 Posts

Profile of JonHackl
Yes, that looks like the same idea.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Bannon's AK47 vs Carey's Think and Sync (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL