The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bowling ball final load from chop cup (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I promised to do this for my next show to my agent. Now I have to figure out how to do it.
But with good misdirection after the first big load, .... what do you think?
It's not a big deal, my magic future hangs on it.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8583 Posts

Profile of funsway
Setting aside my notion that this would not seem like magic to anyone - certainly a trick,
or concerns as to what you will do next, or how you are going to hide this in your shorts ...

there is a serious solution. Check out Tarbell on a bowl of water production table.

Essentially, you have a bowling ball on a stand covered with a cloth to look like a table.
Ideally, you use that table for some purpose during the show.
You set your first silly load on this table, then cover with the cup.
When you raise up the cup, you whisk away the cloth cover while tossing the cup into the air.
Tuck the cloth under your jacket as you step away from the bowling ball in astonishment and deftly catch the cup.

Have your daughter assistant by trying to lift the ball and accidentally drop it on the stage!
Follow up by juggling bowling pins.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5075 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Since the bowling bowl is round, it would not appear to be a table unless you reinforced the cloth cover making it a lot more difficult to dispose of. It also wouldn't be strong enough to use for the rest of your cup routine. Also, why would you have a table on top of your working table? The premise of the bowl of water production is to use a cloth foulard to apparently catch something under it. Laying the cloth on the artificial table and whipping it away, gives the impression of a bowl production. No matter how good you are, I don't think you could provide enough misdirection to remove the cover unseen.
Where the magic begins
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8583 Posts

Profile of funsway
Well, Dave, I wanted to leave some creative aspects to the performer. Smile I assumed a side table, of course.

If you wish to follow the bowl of water approach more closely, one could pantomime the production of the ball with mime antics as the invisible ball is carried around.
Then it is rolled across the floor to some pins in the corner. As one bends over with hand between legs a real ball is retrieved from behind a prop and actually rolled -
it "becomes visible" from the floor friction or something. Not a direct production form the cup, but the end result is that it was.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hey funsway, I appreciate your tip. I realized for me I could have it hanging behind a table . It does not need to be a real bowling ball. but the misdirection for a tennis ball production is usually enough to produce whatever you would want to.

As you said, a tip may not be the final solution but it can give us creative types that step we needed to see the solution clearly. Thanks a million!!
YOu made it more clear by your helpful suggestion!!!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24243 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was just over at another forum, where they were discussing the bowling ball from briefcase. The consensus seemed to be that Howard Flint invented it. This is not correct. I saw Howard perform this at the IBM convention in Houston, in 1979, and he told me that Doty invented it for him. I mentioned that it reminded me a lot of the Robert-Houdin Inexhaustible Portfolio. He looked surprised and said, "That the basis of it."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1856 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
This may be totally stupid and I’ve never tried it, so don’t take it as brilliant unless you think it through a bit.

Nobody is going to believe a bowling ball came out of a cup. But if you show a couple of loads (fairly standard stuff), then cover the cup and whip the cover away to show the cup on top of the bowling ball, that could be a fun surprise.

My possibly-stupid idea is to use the old daylight seance cloth. Use the lightest bowling ball you can find, have it available under your table. When the cloth is in place, set the ball under the cup and remove the cloth.

I imagine calling some attention to it. “So far, I know I’ve surprised several of you with my sleight of hand. And I think I’m pretty good at it, to be honest. But now I want to show you one more thing that I’m only aware of two people ever doing before. And they both used softballs. And both of them were belly dancers. Yes, folks, I’m about to demonstrate the exceptionally rare skill called sleight of bellybutton. Because this is a family show, I’ll hold up this little curtain so the more proper folks among us don’t get offended. There!” Whip aside the cloth.

Dang. Now I want a bowling ball.

Patrick
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks and God bless you all sincerely. If you want to make the impossible happen, if Wizard Bill Palmer helps you it will be
in the realm of magical possibility. Thanks to all of you. Mr. Woolery, every idea of yours seems to be brilliant. thanks to all of you!
Melephin
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Melephin
This idea may be silly, but there are a lot of street magicians who produce after a cups and balls routine an additional huge melon. They use there hat to cover a cup, to make the general effect more impossible, than they put the hat aside and at the and when lifting up the hat - voilà, there it is. It would also make more sense, then producing it from a cup. No one would believe, it actually came out of the cup (anti climax after a nice chop cup routine if you ask me).

Other idea: There are those tricks you can buy like bowling ball from a case. Have your cup and staff in a case, show it empty when you take the cup out and at the end of your routine, you can produce the bowling ball from the case…

It is not exactly what you promised, but I guess it doesn't matter. It is all about the bowling ball at the end, isn't it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bowling ball final load from chop cup (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL