The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psych Artist (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Hey guys,

I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm starting a new project to focus my time and energy right now into being productive and attempt to give something back to the community and art form that I love.

On my site Psych-Artist.com I plan to continue writing and publishing short essays.

If there is anything you'd like me to write about or discuss, I'm happy to take suggestions here.

I'm very fortunate to have had the career I've had and would love to be able to share success stories and help you guys avoid potential failures that I've learned from.

Obviously there is a chance of the public stumbling on it (which is why it's all listed under my real name and kept separate from my performing name), so as much as I can't get into specific methods, I think there are more important things I can be sharing anyway.

So basically ... ask away and allow me to write about it so hopefully there will be some benefit for at least a few people.

Much love & stay safe,
Colin
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I spent some time on the site this morning poking around. Very interesting concepts and some cutting edge ideas.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Thank you kindly sir!

It's just getting started and I truly feel I have a lot to give.

... I just want to know how to best channel and priorities my thinking.

Good thoughts,
Colin
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I'd be interested in discussions about:

1) How you plan to cope with mentalism in a no-touch post Covid world
2) What some of the highlights of AGT were like -- the challenges of mounting an effect within such tight timelines
3) Any insights you have for engaging large audiences

I think you are at the start of what could be an outstanding project. I wish you well with it,

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Consider them added to the list.

Colin
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Yesterday I DEVOURED the four video downloads that Colin has made available on the site.

I just added a post in Latest and Greatest detailing my thoughts: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......um=218#0

In summary, don't miss out on this!

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Truly means a lot Drew!!

Most importantly, for people going stir crazy at home, I'm aiming to add a new essay every other day to provide some food for thought, positive creative exercises or answer questions on areas I can best asset people.

Good thoughts,
Colin
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I don't buy much mentalism these days, but I'm enough of a fan of Colin's work that I got the whole package. I've watched ForceSight so far, and it is frankly stellar. His new mechanical twists on a prop we all know and love are ingenious by themselves, but the real gold is seeing the mileage he then gets out of it – the structure, the subtleties, and how he maximizes the revelations. And that information can be applied to lots of other props and techniques. Highly recommended.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm interested in forcesight and thief, mainly cos I've always wanted to know who let the dogs out...
I've asked to be banned
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Colin, what a wonderful and selfless act and it is greatly appreciated. I also loved your ProMystic Video chat. My tours have all been postponed as well as my local and international consulting projects so I have a LOT of time to look at everything!
Ray Pierce
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
... I’m answering the important questions Iain 😂.

Colin (who is glad someone noticed)
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
1) Injecting your character's personality into your act (e.g., when to do so, how much and what to reveal)
2) Fashion/style for the mentalist
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Colin wrote to me this morning and asked me if I would take a look at these four downloads and post a review. Since I happen to have a little time on my hands (sigh), I was happy to agree. Just before the review, let me tell it straight: There is no way I would say anything was good if I honestly didn't believe it -- no matter who the artist is. I mean it.

That said...here's the review:

I've spent the day with Colin McLeod. For nearly four hours he's been on my iPad, chatting and instructing -- sharing stories and insights into the creation of four signature routines. I've just finished watching the fourth and I find myself sitting here in silence...with ideas pounding through my mind. There's a palm sized red mark in the middle of my forehead from me smacking myself, asking me why I didn't think of that.

Each one of the four routines is a jewel, cracking with original thinking, manic attention to tiny detail, crystal clear instruction and complete respect paid to nuance. This is THE no-kidding BEST set of routines I have ever seen. If you're interested in watching one of the most inventive minds in mentalism tackle classics and upgrade them into something utterly extraordinary, you need to consider taking a very close look at these offerings.

FORCE-SIGHT is the crown jewel of the collection. It requires nothing but a gently modified pad. The audience sees you read multiple minds -- one after the other, coming up with remarkable revelations. They see you divining PIN numbers, revealing private memories in a system that is diabolically simple and uses an item you can modify yourself in an hour or another item that has been widely commercially available. It's not the method that is groundbreaking -- although there are some very innovative modifications that can be employed. What blew me away -- and I DO mean 'blew me away' -- is where his thinking takes this effect. Ideas from other routines, original concepts...nuance. This whole routine is genius and the presentation is elegant and highly commercial. Absolutely my favorite in the set.

PSYCHO is something you have probably seen Colin do on AGT or in performance at mentalism conventions. I saw him performing this at MindVention one year and he and I chatted about it. I was mystified as to how it had been done. I was able to put some of the pieces together, but to deconstruct the whole routine was made impossible. Okay...it IS impossible to take apart because layer after layer of what Bob Cassidy called "Logical Disconnects" are built into the structure. It remains one of the best confabulation routines I have ever seen. It marries a "Which Hand" concept with confabulation in a routine that really works.

With most confab effects the performer solicits input from the audience and in the end -- to no one's surprise -- he reveals that he knew what they were going to decide on all along. And that's where they fall flat because the only one who is really impressed with what's just happened...is the performer. This effect is loaded with entertainment and energy built into a steady rising action to a powerful reveal that will bring the house down. (I almost wrote "a steady rising action that leads to a powerful climax"...but that just sounded wrong.) Fun, brilliant and wildly entertaining. Great fun. Outstanding mentalism.

THIEF is Colin's treatment of an all time classic: Max Maven's transcendent "Desire." I have been doing this effect as a staple of my shows for nearly ten years. I love it's adaptability and the simplicity of its design. Colin's solutions for some of the rougher parts of the effect are bold and very clever. If you're not already doing Desire, consider taking a look at THIEF. It's smooth, clean and very well thought out.

ENVision is a series of ideas for things you can do with envelopes of all sizes. Great concepts for everything from confabulation routines where the prediction is presented as in a sealed envelope to headline predictions. What is fascinating about this download is not just the routines talked about but the way Colin's thinking can be applied to so many other effects. Essentially if you're in the market for doing a prediction in a sealed envelope and you want to know EVERYTHING about how to make it happen? This is it. Consider it as an option for a media interview, or a high end corporate event. How about a prediction on a playoff game (assuming there will be playoff games again.) Outstanding applications for close up as well as stage. I really loved the versatility of concepts presented in this download.

The truly wonderful thing about this collection aren't just great road-tested routines. They are certainly that -- and there's a powerful something to be said of those rare events where seasoned performers actually share ALL of the really good stuff they've learned from performing the same routine hundreds or even thousands of times. But what really excites me is the way the concepts built into these routines can be applied to an infinite number of possibilities. I love ideas that are adaptable to my own style and these four video downloads are perfect candidates for "ideas to build on."

Here's the bottom line: when I want to take my mentalism to graduate school, I open up Bruce Bernstien's Unreal. So far that one work has been my go-to for inspiration -- my own University of Mentalism. Up till now there hasn't been a real companion piece. But I have one now. Colin McLeod's brilliant Pro Pack is in its own way as good as Unreal for challenging thinking and exciting concepts. It is a masterwork.

It really is an example of an offering to the community that truly is an investment. Speaking of that investment: all four routines are available in a package for $129.99 or can be purchased individually. The package discount only applies for the next six days. If any of the concepts here tickle your fancy, I strongly suggest you head over to psych-artist.com and have a look. You just might be seeing one direction of the future of mentalism.

David

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Following up on my earlier post after having watched a second video, Psycho, here are my thoughts. The highest praise I can give to a release is not to say that I'll use it myself; rather, the highest praise I can say is that it has given me the tools and inspiration to make something I do better. Psycho has done that, in spades. A this point, even if the remaining two videos I haven't yet watched turned out to be absolute crap (which I highly doubt), I would still feel I'd gotten my money's worth.

PS - In case there's any doubt, I paid full price for these, and Colin had no advance knowledge that I'd be buying them in the first place, let alone what I'd say about them.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
I need to be honest, I've had tried to write a response to this three times today, but struggled because I am simply overwhelmed with the response.

When you perform your creations for real people it's scary. However they improve and become more honed and and defined over time. But when you release them to your peers and colleagues, that's a different fear entirely. You have one chance to share them in a way where you not only do them justice, but want to enable and empower everyone with the knowledge and the confidence to go and perform them as close to perfect, off the bat, as possible.

I'm truly relieved, honored and delighted that they are having the positive impact I wanted them to. I tried to pour my heart and mind into these and give everything I could.

The fact that people I respect and honest strangers have been so positive about these has filled me with joy.

Guys, thank you.
Nigel Quinn
View Profile
Regular user
U.K
118 Posts

Profile of Nigel Quinn
Truly excited to discover Colins project and the prospect of his 1:1 consulting. A superb website and really look forward to reading more insightful essays. Would be intrigued to read more about scripting and character for stage. Colin, you've been so gracious with your time with the recently brilliant interviews on the ProMystic and All Things Magic Facebook group, thank you for sharing. All the best, keep well and stay safe.
Q U I N
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Colin, saw your show in Vegas recently. My wife thought you're the best mentalist she has seen, and she has seen many, and says hello.

Bought the effects in a heartbeat. Question: how do you see creativity? Any thoughts your own creative process?

Feras
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
That truly means a lot.

I just posted this today ...

https://www.psych-artist.com/blog-1/a-ma......magician

But the creativity topic is the first thing I'm going to write about this evening.

Best,
C
lancenicolai58
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of lancenicolai58
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2020, DrewBstoss wrote:
Yesterday I DEVOURED the four video downloads that Colin has made available on the site.

I just added a post in Latest and Greatest detailing my thoughts: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......um=218#0

In summary, don't miss out on this!

Best wishes,

Drew

I agree with everything Drew says in his review. I was glad that I saw the message from magic Café about this offer.

I was fortunate enough to buy as well. I think this will be one of my better purchases. Real practical methods and better than purchasing fancy new prop. I feel like I will get a lot out of these routines and the video instructions that come with this are top notch. I am more of a visual learner. This is at a great price for anyone to buy.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
Sale ends in 7 days and I'm going to stay true to that to both respect everyone who did take the risk up front and because others have confirmed the value in this stuff.

For those who aren't looking to buy yet, feel free to continue to enjoy/disagree with my essays I've going to continue publishing.

https://www.psych-artist.com/blog-1/l5kx......a2gazs2a

Much love team,
Colin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psych Artist (30 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL