The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Zoom Or Remote Online Performances (86 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
My lord that was the most boring woman I have ever seen! I had to stop watching after 10 seconds.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
105 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I am not a big fan of Virtual Magic Shows. Nothing can replace live in person performance. People need to realize you can do more than just Magic Shows. What about getting a job as a Cashier, or something other than a Magician?
Luckily, I have another profession, so I can wait it out until the in person shows come back.
So for those who are not jumping on the Gotta Do Virtual Shows Bandwagon, Good For You. I am one of you!
I have spoken to a few who tested the waters and gave up. Not their cup of tea.
Different strokes for different folks!
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Elite user
Curtis The Mentalist
496 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I know I'm late to the party here, but I've been quite busy doing what this thread is discussing--producing and performing virtual shows. I've had a similar experience to Nash; in fact, quite similar. Like many, all of my bookings for 2020 cancelled back mid-March 2020, and I had to refund a considerable amount of pre-paid fees. However, many of my clients simply rescheduled for this year and some moved their events to virtual so I embraced it sometime in May.

I learned early on that public virtual shows and selling tickets wasn't really the way to go (for me anyway) so I started optimizing my web presence for corporate and private virtual shows and the gigs started rolling in. While my income overall dropped right around 50% for last year, it would have been much lower than that if it weren't for virtual shows. September through December snowballed quickly with December alone being right at about $3,000 dollars shy of my average previous Decembers in the "normal" world. December has always been a stellar month for me. Even today I'm getting daily requests for virtual shows and booking about 1/3 to 1/2 of them.

Of course like many I absolutely didn't want to do it at all and knew it would never replace real, LIVE, entertainment. However, in my experience I've discovered that it really isn't replacing anything at all, but has--in fact--become it's own new market for which there is a demand and I'm there to fill it as needed. Fortunately for me, some of my comedy club shows started up again back in August on a monthly basis, with the occasional odd in-person gig now and then throughout the Midwest so I've been juggling a bit of virtual and "real" gigs.

I decided early on that if I was to do virtual shows that I would invest in creating a show with very high-production value; something like an interactive television show with ever changing screens, professional lighting, high-quality audio, at least three different camera angles, sets, backgrounds, music, etc. I also knew that I would have to create a very strong organic web presence as I knew people would be searching there primarily for such entertainment. I've enjoyed the challenge and learning all of the tech, but even with some of the best audio/video/computer equipment and software available, it has it's problems. I knew as long as I presented a well-produced show, and promoted it with authority and professionalism, that I could command the type of fees I would need. I have been receiving close to my regular corporate fees for shows for months now, minus any travel, lodging and other expenses that normal in-person gigs would incur. I've even received as much as $1,500 for just a small, 15-minute virtual presentation, though an average show for me is right around 60 minutes.

Virtual shows have kept me working very frequently over the last year, and it has all paid for the financial investment several times over. How long this wave will last I have no idea and don't really care, but I'll ride it as long as it will carry me.
cameronb
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of cameronb
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
I am confident that 2021 will be one of the strongest live entertainment years in recent history.

Quote:
On Apr 15, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why might it be? Again turn off your tv and computer just for a few days.

And there is ZERO chance this is the future. It is temporary and if it lasts through June that will be a long time.

This aged like milk. Nice self-evisceration, fellas. Couldn't name a more iconic duo.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did you also put up the MANY posts where I said that I got it WAY WRONG? I have said many times in this very thread how wrong I got this. But since you never ever make a mistake of any kind I look forward to your perfection in every post. (Though this is not really a strong start.)

And I stand by there being ZERO chance this is the future. While it lasted a heck of a lot longer than I ever imagined, it is simply not the future of performance.

And by the way for the record Branson Missouri is right now since spring break having tourist numbers that are like have not been seen in decades. I guess 2021 who indeed be a very strong year for entertainment here.

Strong start on your perfection.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Zoom Or Remote Online Performances (86 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL