The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Orion book by Phedon Bilek (64 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
funnyclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Burlingame, CA
362 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2021, BMWGuy wrote:
I will have a full detailed review of this soon
I already finished the book

The link to the review will be up here to go to the review section of the Café

I am traveling tomorrow to US again so I should have some time this weekend or next.

Thanks. It will be quite a long review.

Alex.

Hello BMWguy
I look forward to you review.
Will this be a review of both books totaling 600+ pages?
Or just volume one?
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2277 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Yes both but all rolled into 1
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Contents Overview:
Orion Volume One The Hunter

Foreword(s):
Book one opens with two introductions, one by Jerome Finley and the other by Madison Hagler. Whilst it should come as no surprise that these gentlemen both give very high praise for the material that is covered within the Orion project, it is worth noting that they are actively using the material themselves.

Inspiration:
With the introductions given, Phedon shares a little history pertaining to his fascination with the story of ‘The Hunter’. Here we learn how this story helped to inspire Phedon’s work within the art of mentalism along with his continued pursuit in developing routines that stick to the strictest of requirements.

Highlights & Opening Advice:
To help the reader gain the most from these books, Phedon offers some valuable insights into how they should be read. This advice is perfectly framed via the use of a very poignant point pertaining to the cover graphic of the project. In order to fully grasp the copious amount of subtleties, insights and overall philosophy behind each routine I would caution any reader to pay special attention to this section.

Phasma Introduction:
We are now introduced to Phasma which affords the performer the ability to both identify and force a singular thought whilst seemingly offering the participant an even wider choice. This singular prop-less technique helped to gain Phedon a standing ovation at his lectures in the UK, Paris and Telavive.
Side Note: As someone who witnessed Phedon performing this technique for a group of seasoned mentalists, I can personally attest to the strength of this technique.

Restrictive Imagery:
Next up, Phedon shares a technique that allows the performer to restrict the participant without seeming restrictive in any way. Phedon highlights the impact that a single word can have on the participant’s perception of events and how we can use words to give the perception of a much wider choice (due to the verbal subtleties at play). This chapter includes several examples which help to illustrate the versatility of this system. These include categories such as drawings, names, objects and colours.

Note: Those who own Proteus will instantly see the benefits of combining it with the ‘Restrictive Imagery’ technique.

Landmarks:
Phedon illustrates the power of stacking the Phasma technique and how this allows the performer to reveal so much more than a singular thought. What is most fascinating here is that the revelation process is also the ‘forcing’ process due to the absolute harmony between the two. After teaching this technique Phedon provides the perfect illustration to help the reader appreciate just how fooling this technique can be.

Restricted Imagery Routine:
At its core, the ‘Restricted Imagery’ routine allows the performer to identify an object that exists only in the mind of your participant. This section opens by leading the reader through a pseudo demonstration of the basic routine (ultimately helping the reader to appreciate just how streamlined it actually is). Highlights within this section include the invisible layers of restrictions that are applied to the routine (subtleties which very efficiently and elegantly reduce the participant’s choices on a simple coherent psychological level). This section concludes with a breakdown of the fundamental tools that form the backbone of many routines within the Orion project and how they ultimately facilitate the success of each routine in turn.

Restricted Imagery Original Routine:
Here we learn the original routine and gain an insight into how it has been evolved to afford the performer a series of free additional reveals along the way. Phedon also discusses a solid way to use ‘Restricted Imagery’ as a fail-safe out for those rare events when all does not go to plan. This provides the reader with full confidence in the routine as a whole. Phedon covers the full motivations for every step leaving no stone unturned. This section closes by detailing a couple of alternative reveals which will suit differing presentational approaches.

Note: Whilst this routine can be presented in a wide variety of ways, I particularly liked the deductive approach where the performer is seen to deduce the object that the participant is thinking of by analysing their personality.

Restricted Imagery Evolved Routine:
This section opens with the reasons that Phedon wanted to push it further (which mainly involved his wish to add physical manifestation of a single thought (thus allowing the participant to bring something tangible back from their dream world/imagination, back into reality. This prop-less routine also introduces the reader to the ‘Scenery Principle’.

Contribution - Corridor Ploy (Ori Ascher)
Ori Asher explains a linguistic method of his creation which allow the performer to efficiently fish between two possibilities.

Note: Phedon also supplies alternative methods of his own within the main routine explanation.

Restricted Imagery for Audiences:
Here we learn how to use ‘Restricted Imagery’ for a larger audience. This also contains a beautiful visual way of receiving multiple acknowledgements from your audience members. Phedon also helps to highlight the strength of performing ‘Restricted Imagery’ over traditional psychological forces such as the Triangle/Circle force.

Contribution - Stickier (Morgan Strebbler)
As an alternative approach for close up workers, Phedon explains an alternative reveal that was inspired by a Morgan Strebbler effect.

Disclaimers:
Phedon presents the reader with his views on the use of disclaimers and ethics in relation to the performance of mentalism.

Indexed Imagery:
Indexed Imagery is a simple yet deeply engaging routine that couples a light-hearted reading with an amazing kicker ending. Within the framework of this routine Phedon introduces the ‘order force’ and ‘distraction ruse’ which will no doubt delight those who are looking for simple yet highly effective tools to add to their repertoire. This chapter also contains a brief discussion pertaining to belief and attitude. Phedon also provides the reader with a method for adopting the correct mindset in order that your performances appear ‘real’.

Phasmatic Names:
Next on the list is one of Phedon’s favourite routines titled ‘Phasmatic Names’. In this routine, the participant thinks of a word and imagines someone from their past whispering the word to them in their mind. The performer is then able to reveal both along with further details that would seemingly be impossible to know. This routine culminates with a thought of name being revealed on the back of a photo that has been in full view (before the name is even revealed to the mentalist). I must also add that the name is genuinely thought of by the participant and there is no switch of the photograph or gimmicks involved either. The level of thought and psychology behind this routine is amazing!

Phasmatic Names Original Version:
Phedon highlights the original approach to this routine (which he still uses too). This version relies upon Mark Paul’s AAA book-test (not taught within the book but widely available) as a starting point. In typical Phedon fashion, he provides the reader with a beautiful justification for the use of the book. To conclude this chapter, Phedon discusses the use of different names in different parts of the world. Although Phedon uses UK and US names as examples, it should be easy enough for anyone not living in those countries to discover those names that would work.

Note: Once again Phedon puts the reader’s mind at rest will a fail-safe approach to this routine and as with one of the previous routines, the method is beautifully woven into the presentation. He also includes an impromptu prop-less version too for those that don’t want to carry a photo with them.

Phasmatic names 2.0:
This is an updated version of the previous routine that adds so many different psychological layers that it becomes a powerhouse of a routine. The level of thinking that has gone into this one is guaranteed to put a huge smile on your face. Within the framework for this routine is also one of the best justifications for having a thought of word written down that I came across to date. Also included within this routine are several new techniques such as the ‘Letter Count Force’ and ‘Guided Imagery’.

********Michael’s Notes on the Material so Far:*******
Using the very clever combination of subtleties included in the aforementioned chapters you will also learn how to paint false memories in the minds of your participants that will prevent them from being able to backtrack your routines. You will be able to linguistically create the illusion of free choice and in actuality, when using the routines listed above, the participant’s choices are real. You will be able to build the illusion of impossibility before making any reveal, and for those mentalists who simply peek and reveal information in parrot fashion, your eyes will truly be opened to the potential that you are missing out on. The mileage that Phedon can get out of a single peek is astonishing.

Now, whilst most books just detail what we should do to get an effect to work, Phedon goes much further and even suggests how we should think, how we should act and what we should say to maximise the impact of the routines we perform. What is evident here is that these tools and techniques aren’t limited for use with the routines in this book but instead, they have a much wider scope for application within the mentalism routines that you already perform. Throughout this book, Phedon offers many example exercises for the reader to follow so that you can fully appreciate the motivation behind the approaches that he uses. I personally found these very helpful, insightful and a very worthwhile addition to the book.
Nico Heinrich Letter Count Force:
Here Nico shares an alternative approach to forcing information on a participant. It is very easy to appreciate the versatility of this idea which provides some nice food for thought.

Sponsored Imagery:
A great routine with solid foundations that allows you to reveal a gender, name and activity that someone is thinking of along with a brand too. Once again Phedon provides some wonderful justifications for each step.

Imagerized Phasmatic Names by Madison Hagler:
Madison very kindly shares a completely prop-less way of performing the Phasmatic Names routine which combines many of the prior elements taught within this book. There is some beautiful thinking within this one.

On Justifications:
In this chapter, Phedon discusses his thoughts on justifications. His reasoning is very solid and covers such topics as why the participant should write a thought down and why the participant should change their mind or make multiple choices. There are some very important points raised in this section that can be applied to many of the routines that you perform already. Phedon even goes as to cover a logical reason for performing in a non-native language (this will be very useful for those living outside of the UK/US).

Phasmatic Stones:
Phedon now walks us through the routine that he used to fool his own mother. This routine lends itself nicely to deeper readings and leaves the participant with a highly memorable physical keepsake that this brought back from their imagination. Here Phedon covers ways in which we can use the prior concepts with colours and textures and he even covers some of the Rainbow statements that were made popular via his Sibyl project.

Once again Phedon covers every detail imaginable including how to move, act and even compose yourself in the physical sense (details that are most often missing from other books). In many respects, this is almost a mini-course on body language for the mentalist. Although not a self- proclaimed expert Phedon also provides insights on building rapport, creating tension and relaxation, how to gain interest from your participant. This chapter closes with Phedon highlighting the importance of non-verbal communication and how to be aware of this during a performance.

Note: You do not need to own Sibyl to understand anything here (but it is such a great project I would wholeheartedly suggest picking it up anyway).

Discussion on Multipliers:
Phedon now draws the readers attention to ‘multipliers’ and explains how they are used within our routines to increase the impact of the final reveal. He talks about the illusion of choice and how to create it. He helps the reader to understand the ‘multipliers’ that exist within their existing routines so that they can appreciate the impact that these small details have on the bigger picture and the memory that these paint in the participant’s mind when they later recall the events.

********Michael’s Notes on the Material so Far:*******
I particularly loved Phedons discussion on having a second participant being the one who makes the reveals. As a huge fan of the spectator as mind reader approach, my reasoning for this should be obvious. Another thing that stood out to me was the way in which Phedon has the participant initiate the revelation process. By having the participant ask themselves it not only actively forces them to take interested in what you have to say but also makes them feel that they both need and want to hear, what it is that you have to say. Phedon also provides the reader with a perfect illustration of this and it is very easy to see how your subsequent words will resonate on a deeper, more meaningful level that are also less prone to being rejected too.
Phedon now discusses the importance of pauses to build tension, how to use hesitation to make your performances seem real. He provides a valid case against over polished scripts and his preference for creating the illusion of spontaneity (and the benefits of that). We are also presented with some beautiful thoughts on near missing and whilst I won’t spoil the fun, his illustration is perfect and contains some extremely smart thinking. Once again Phedon provides the reader with clear and concise illustrations in support of the philosophies shared and I can’t see anyone disagreeing with any of this.
Note: I personally agreed with every point made.

The Phi Force:
The Phi Force is a superb tool that will become a staple within almost any mind-reading demonstration that you perform. Using the naturally occurring building blocks that exist in anything that can be thought of you are free to force almost anything you like. The versatility of this tool will be immediately apparent to all who read it. Best of all, this can be done so fast with almost no extra work required on behalf of the performer. Once again Phedon proves just how far you can take any routine based on the knowledge of a single thought.

Note: Those that are aware of my universal forcing technique will absolutely love this. I will be applying this technique to almost all of my routines from now on.

Desmic Imagery:
This is an incredibly powerful routine and is a beautiful one to close the first book with. In this routine, the participant is asked to imagine themselves in a location which you are able to describe. They are asked to imagine looking at a photo of someone which you are also able to describe in- depth (including the specific clothes that they are wearing down to the colour of the clothing itself). To conclude, you are also able to reveal this persons name too. Oh and along the journey you ask the participant to imagine picking up a magazine so that they can circle their star sign which you are also able to reveal too!

What is most interesting here is that almost everything revealed only exists in the participant’s mind. Now when you couple this will all of the subtleties that Phedon shares (one of them being so devious and beautiful that I physically laughed out loud as I read it) you will quickly understand why it is one of his favourite pieces to perform.

Just like the previous routines, this one is filled with so many layers and subtleties that will leave your head spinning. The way in which Phedon is able to imply that thoughts were made whilst you were nowhere near them is nothing short of perfect. The ability to control the participant’s responses during the routine and the ability to use your hand gestures to your advantage too is excellent.

Scott Creasey Impromptu Approach:
We are then presented with a series of ideas from Scott Creasy which includes a completely impromptu way of performing Desmic Imagery. This is a very nice approach and is a great option for you to carry in your mind ready to unleash at any moment you desire.

The Oneironaut:
Volume one closes with an excellent presentation for a book test. In this routine, Phedon uses Marc Paul’s AAA book-test as a starting point (the method for the AAA isn’t explained but is widely available and can be replaced with any book-test method you may already know). Once again Phedon demonstrates his amazing ability to create a powerful routine based on the knowledge of a single word. This perfectly highlights the versatility of the tools that have been presented within this book and how they can be used in so many different ways.

In the final thoughts, Phedon highlights the power of the imagination via a short but potent essay.

Index of Tools:
This reference list is a valuable addition to this book and allow the reader to quickly access all of the tools, principles and techniques that have been woven into volume one. I will certainly be referring back to this time and time again.

********Michael’s Closing Words:*******
Having read through this first volume three times so far I am constantly finding nuggets of information that were missed each time round. In light of this, I will certainly be revisiting and re- reading this book over and over again. Pay special attention to Phedons opening words at the beginning of this book and you will be handsomely rewarded for your efforts. All in all, this volume represents a stunning contribution to the mentalism community.

Volume Two Breakdown to follow soon Smile

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1249 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Is the book language dependent on english or do the effects/principles also work in a different language?
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2277 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey Eric,

It should work with any language.

I have adapted it to Spanish.

I have a review I need to write for this massive tome, I will hopefully get to it this weekend.

Traveling and in Tennessee now. The joys of traveling.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
782 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2021, EricDraven wrote:
Is the book language dependent on english or do the effects/principles also work in a different language?

Eric,

Everything, except a couple of things, is language independent. Of course, you’ll have to adapt certain things, such as names, etc.

Hope that helps.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1249 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Many thanks Phedon and Alex! That is helpful!
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Orion book by Phedon Bilek (64 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL