The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Just REMARKABLE! (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Great to see such interest and even some debate as to Darko’s new offering, Remarkable. As initially said here, and seemingly, mostly agreed upon here, it is a wonderfully refreshing take on the old effect, in which the actual creator also agrees. It’s certainly well-worth checking into and you already have what you need. 😉 Just add dj’s very clever method here, and this amazing effect evolves and lives again. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Picked this up this morning and Darko sent it right over. I think it's great on a number of levels. The first part is especially great, and if you do any memdeck work, you can make it even better (though that's not required based on Darko's teaching, which is very, very clever). As for the second phase, while I understand Madison's argument for why it's "less clean" I think I disagree, in part because the two separate parts of the effect are not seen in isolation. The inability to show the deck in Eliminator puts a shadow over the entire effect, so I never found the end to be that clean anyway. Darko's setup makes the whole thing much cleaner overall, and as Gaz notes, the addition of a shuffle (even if done by the magician) will definitely cover up most concerns, especially given that they're fully aware that it's a "shuffled" deck at the beginning. Indeed, while people know that magicians can do certain card controls, some are more obvious than others, and the procedure Darko outlines will flummox the vast majority of people, as it certainly looks completely fair. You can even add in some more kinds of shuffles to make it even more "fair" and it will be completely fine (I'd probably do the shuffle described, and then add in a quick riffle shuffle as well). Or you don't need to do the 2nd part at all and come up with a different revelation.

I'm very happy with this and will be using it if we ever make it out of this pandemic thing.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2020, no2ss wrote:
Picked this up this morning and Darko sent it right over. I think it's great on a number of levels. The first part is especially great, and if you do any memdeck work, you can make it even better (though that's not required based on Darko's teaching, which is very, very clever). As for the second phase, while I understand Madison's argument for why it's "less clean" I think I disagree, in part because the two separate parts of the effect are not seen in isolation. The inability to show the deck in Eliminator puts a shadow over the entire effect, so I never found the end to be that clean anyway. Darko's setup makes the whole thing much cleaner overall, and as Gaz notes, the addition of a shuffle (even if done by the magician) will definitely cover up most concerns, especially given that they're fully aware that it's a "shuffled" deck at the beginning. Indeed, while people know that magicians can do certain card controls, some are more obvious than others, and the procedure Darko outlines will flummox the vast majority of people, as it certainly looks completely fair. You can even add in some more kinds of shuffles to make it even more "fair" and it will be completely fine (I'd probably do the shuffle described, and then add in a quick riffle shuffle as well). Or you don't need to do the 2nd part at all and come up with a different revelation.

I'm very happy with this and will be using it if we ever make it out of this pandemic thing.

Thanks.

Darko
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2020, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
The thing is the cards don't get shuffled after their cards go back in with eliminator so that can been seen as a negative as you know roughly where they are placed . With remarkable they are seen to be fairly shuffled into the deck Gaz 🙂

As I wrote in another thread I was shown and performed this effect by Darko. Yes, he quickly handled the deck in the last phase but he also gave it two thorough and most fair riffle shuffles before it went into his pocket. I honestly had no idea when and how the control happened.

So I believe this is the actual picture that remains in the spectators' heads: a genuinely and fair shuffled deck goes into the pocket without the performer having at least a glance at it.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Appreciate all the solid opinions here...But I have to agree with you here Nick, I sorta see it that way myself mostly. 🤔

It is a new way to do the old effect that makes it cleaner to do with nothing to hide. The weakness in the original effect was the use of a trick deck. While it allowed for a wonderful effect, it had immediate limitations built right in as you couldn't use the deck for anything else, you had to switch up. With dj's new take, you don't have to. He figured a way to do basically the same effect without a dedicated deck. I think that is a real improvement. His minute change of the 2nd phase is necessary to achieve semblance of the old effect. It really is not noticeable enough to the specs to be even a little bit of a big deal.

All in all here, it is a very small price for such "freeing" progress. I hope people enjoy it, not as just an absolute comparison to the original trick, but as a natural progression that makes it even better, that helps it to live again and onward...IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1040 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I just got this a couple days ago and have to say I really like it.

Memdeck work, while not needed, removes all number restrictions so makes the first stage even cleaner. Another subtlety is to reverse the first few cards so you can demonstrate what the spectators should do. So that when you are done demonstrating, the cards are how they should be. Then you can turn your back when they do it as you've made the mechanics clear.

I tried it out with an added card to wallet third stage which worked really well. After the shuffle came a g******'* c**. Deck is tabled and the right hand immediately pulls out the right hand pocket to show it empty. This takes all heat off the left hand. Then left hand goes to get wallet saying if I can't find the two cards, I will give you a $100. Wallet is then tabled. Deck is cleanly put in pocket. One card is then found per normal method. Then, after struggling a while, announce you can't locate the other one in the deck. Take deck out of pocket turning the pocket inside out to show nothing else remains. Have spectator go through deck to locate their card, it is gone. Motion to wallet on table and cleanly show card is in a sealed envelope in the wallet.

I might also try the first half as an opening to Dr. Schwartz's Fantasy Rising Card. In other words, instead of finding the cards in the pocket, they rise out of the pack. So many ways to blend this into other effects because the deck is not gimmicked and the two cards are easily accessible after the shuffle.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
I just got this a couple days ago and have to say I really like it.

Memdeck work, while not needed, removes all number restrictions so makes the first stage even cleaner. Another subtlety is to reverse the first few cards so you can demonstrate what the spectators should do. So that when you are done demonstrating, the cards are how they should be. Then you can turn your back when they do it as you've made the mechanics clear.

I tried it out with an added card to wallet third stage which worked really well. After the shuffle came a g******'* c**. Deck is tabled and the right hand immediately pulls out the right hand pocket to show it empty. This takes all heat off the left hand. Then left hand goes to get wallet saying if I can't find the two cards, I will give you a $100. Wallet is then tabled. Deck is cleanly put in pocket. One card is then found per normal method. Then, after struggling a while, announce you can't locate the other one in the deck. Take deck out of pocket turning the pocket inside out to show nothing else remains. Have spectator go through deck to locate their card, it is gone. Motion to wallet on table and cleanly show card is in a sealed envelope in the wallet.

I might also try the first half as an opening to Dr. Schwartz's Fantasy Rising Card. In other words, instead of finding the cards in the pocket, they rise out of the pack. So many ways to blend this into other effects because the deck is not gimmicked and the two cards are easily accessible after the shuffle.

Thank you for your review.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Just REMARKABLE! (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL