The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Looking for Zoom or WebEX for virtual meetings (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
With our Ring 103 meeting place closed for the foreseeable future because of the pandemic, we're looking for options for virtual meetings via services like Zoom or WebEx.

Have any other IBM Rings had experience/success using either of those services? We're looking for tutorials/made- easy guides for getting our feet wet with this technology.
Thanks!

Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Earl Edwards IBM Ring 103, Norfolk Virginia
----- Sonny Narvaez
kamlet
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
41 Posts

Profile of kamlet
Our Ring has used zoom. IBM has made available a free version of zoom that allows for longer meetings. If you sign up for a free zoom account, the meeting can only be 40 minutes.

Go to https://www.mymagicmeeting.com/host-your-meeting/ for more information. once the meeting is set up, there are 2 short videos on how to host and how to join.

The biggest challenge we saw was getting members comfortable showing effects in frame, as well as making sure the lighting is good.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I have been hosting the meetings for IBM Ring 56. Through professional speaking I've used practically every conferencing option on the market. Zoom is among the easiest platform for new users. The learning curve is not steep so even the least tech savvy members were up and running quickly. It totally debunked the myth of older people not being good with technology, they took to it like fish to water!

Through Zoom, members are able to join by a variety of devices; PC, tablet, smart phone, and even just phone (voice only). Some members even had older systems and still were able to join through the web browser option. It is a "leave noone behind" platform.

We have also hosted two great lectures, by Kozmo and Meir Yedid. One big hint is to use the "spotlight video" option. This locks their video feed as the main, big window. On a PC you simply have to mouse over their video, right click, and choose that option.

It really is a great option in these times.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Thank you, Frank and Kamlet, for your responses.
Our first two ZOOM meetings were attended by six members.

Theis link may take you to screen grabs from one of the meetings.
As Kamlet noted, getting the performance effects in frame is a little awkward.
If this link works, you'll seem a two photo collage screen grabs from our first efforts at virtual meetings:
https://tinyurl.com/ring103zoom

That's me showing a fanning deck from my collection.
The other screen grab is of our Ring 103 Vice-President providing a review of Woody Aragon's "The Show."

We are looking into having a regular face-to-face meeting at a church that one of our members belongs to, but are keeping the option open for a third ZOOM meeting if those plans fall through.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Can someone tell me how to incorporate powerpoint slides into a virtual show? I only had experience with WebEx and ended up having to use my Iphone which will blow everything (need phone for effects and illusions). Thanks, I have postponed events now seeing how live events are not going to happen for many moons deciding on virtual now.

Decomposing Virtual Nonsense
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Looking for Zoom or WebEX for virtual meetings (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL