The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Picasso Pro App ||ProMystic x Ellusionist (203 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25~26 [Next]
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1683 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2020, Vraagaard wrote:
Just one question:

Can you get the peak of color(s) without looking at the phone/watch. I mean - can the phone be in your pocket and you will receive a shake/buzz/signal for each color chosen?

I just happen to dislike ahving my phone out while performing.

Best

Jan

Yes
Arielhamui
View Profile
New user
Buenos Aires, Argentina
56 Posts

Profile of Arielhamui
App work perfect now!
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Adding the built-in templates is what I was waiting for. I've now joined the ranks of Picasso Pro app performers. I was even able to get a user ID that makes sense and isn't too terribly long. Though, admittedly, my first 5 choices were already taken. No worries, the one I ended up with is still excellent.

I've performed it for my wife (she loved it) and I'll be performing it for friends tonight. But, gotta say, just fooling around with it has increased my desire to get Color Match by Promystic! Smile If not for the pandemic and social distancing, I might have already pulled the trigger on Color Match. For now, Picasso Pro lends itself to being performed over the web quite nicely, something that wouldn't work with Color Match.

Craig Filecitti, if you're reading this, how about a little sale on Promystic products during the pandemic? A little discount might be too much for me to resist. Smile

Mark
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
291 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
I see no update since May 5th in Google Play. It does not show an update available. Is version 1.2.0 the current version for Android users?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I'd ask about this in the Facebook Group but I haven't been admitted yet. So... I performed Picasso Pro 4 times today. 3 out of those 4 times it did NOT make the connection to the spectator's phone after he arrived at the drawing page. I practiced it by myself several additional times and a couple of those times it did NOT make the connection.

I honestly don't think I'm going anything wrong. The connection won't work, I force quit the app and run it again and the connection is made. Houston, we've got a problem. I'd love someone to tell me what I am doing wrong (if anything)

BTW, this was while I was on WiFi. The spectators were on WiFi too, not cellular.

Mark
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
291 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
Can anyone running the Android version let me know what the latest release version is?
jms15
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jms15
Latest version is 1.2.0. Doesn't seem like the Android version has been updated yet.
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Loyal user
Santa Barbara, CA
291 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
E did get back to me and confirmed the latest version is currently being ported to Android. So the last Android update was May 5th, version 1.2.0. Hopefully the update will come quickly. Holding out for that one...
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I did more testing today. With my iPhone Xs as the receiver (iOS 13.4.1) and using either my iMac or my iPad as the spectator's device, it is VERY common for the two devices to not get a connection. I tried it 10 times with my iMac as the spectator's device (opening a new window with each try) and only got a confirmed connection 3 out of those 10 times. With the iPad I tried it 6 times and I didn't get a confirmed connection at all (not even once).

A few are reporting the same issue in the Facebook Group. Still others are reporting no problems at all. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why it's working for some and not for others.

An email I sent to Ellusionist earlier this morning hasn't been answered yet. Hopefully, they'll get to it soon.

Mark
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
680 Posts

Profile of egoli
I tried it this afternoon and at first got no connection iPhone 7 Plus to spectators iPhone (unknown model). So I switched to an effect with Inject (SCI add on). After that I tried Picasso again with the same spectator and this time it worked perfectly.

Ed
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I've been exchanging emails with Will at Ellusionist the last couple of days. We finally got to the basic root of the issue I was experiencing. It was user error in my testing because I wasn't allowing enough time between tests and I wasn't completing the test (not choosing all 5 colors).

Now that I better understand how the backend software works, I think I can avoid continued issues in the future. Plus, I learned how to instantly reset (kill) a pairing with one device so my device is ready to pair with a new device.

There is still a bug with vibration not working in certain circumstances but Will has informed the Facebook Group that a new version of the iOS software has been submitted to Apple for approval (today). Once it's approved it will be available for update.

Mark
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2341 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thanks for sharing the updates Mark, appreciate it since I’m bad about getting on Facebook.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
WillJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
45 Posts

Profile of WillJonesMagic
Hey all,

Will here, developer over at Ellusionist. Here's a quick update on the Picasso state of the union, as it were, as a more in depth explanation of the underlying workings.

Version 1.5 has now been approved and released for iOS.
This once and for all squashes any issues with custom labels showing in notifications, as well as addresses a memory management issue that could cause the haptic feedback to not fire correctly in certain circumstances.

The currently android release version is 1.2.0. I'm in the process of porting the updates from the latest iOS release to Android (including templates, customisable haptic feedback, etc) and this is so far going well.
I expect this update to be ready within the next week or so. We're also migrating away from the legacy push notifications system used in the initial release. This has already been done for iOS and will be in the next android version. This gives us a great deal more control over the entire process and more insights that help with tracing and debugging.

Whilst this new push notifications system is markedly better than the old one, there is still a degree of overhead in getting these notifications from Picasso all the way to your devices. It's for this reason that if two notifications for the same performance are sent in quick succession (i.e. the second is sent before the first has been fully processed and delivered), the first notification will be superseded and not sent - this way you won't be bombarded with potentially confusing notifications if a spectator chooses two colours in quick succession.

I'd also like to take a minute to explain a little more about how the underlying tech works in terms of pairing, connections, etc. Apologies in advance for this wall of text.

Step 1:
Picasso and the drawing pad site never directly connect to one another, and everything is passed around through messages that are pushed between the two.
When a spectator first opens the drawing pad with your performer ID, it sends a message to our servers saying "Here's my session ID, the performer's ID and the colour that's chosen, I'd like to start a performance please"

If there's no other performance in progress, the server responds with an "Ok, I'm only going to listen to you now", stores the colour selected against your account and separately sends the colour selected via a push notification to Picasso.
(This is the pairing process in its entirety. Any future messages sent to your performer ID must include this session ID, otherwise they'll be ignored. This also allows other people to load your personal link without them interfering with the performance. The first person that loads it is the one that gets listened to)

The push notification sent in the previous step goes from our servers, then to Firebase Cloud Messenger. If you're using Android, Firebase sends it directly to your device. If you're using iOS, Firebase hands it off to Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) and Apple handles the delivery of it.

When a notification is received, if Picasso is open in the foreground, your phone's operating system says to Picasso "I have a message for you, here it is". Picasso then compares the content of that message (the colour selected) with the colour it already knows about. If those colours are different, it fires off haptic feedback, text to speech, or whatever else you have enabled.
If Picasso is in the background, on iOS, the phone displays the notification on Picasso's behalf (asking it for any changes to the notification content in the process). On Android, we handle the notification ourselves, substitute the content for your custom labels and then hand it back to the phone's operating system to display.

Steps 2 - 5:
When a colour is selected, the drawing pad sends that the colour to the server along with the performer's ID and the session ID created in step 1. If the session ID matches the one the server thinks is the current performance, it responds with "Ok, I'll pass that on", stores the selected colour and sends the message via the push notifications channel.
If the session ID is different, the drawing pad will continue to work, but the server responds with "Sorry, wrong session ID. I'm not sending it on" and ignores it.

Step 6:
When the fifth colour has been selected by a spectator, the drawing pad adds an "I'm done now" flag to the colour change message, and the server responds with "Ok, I'm open to new people now", stores the colour, resets its internal state and forwards the message on as before.
This will allow a new performance with a new person to begin afterward without requiring a manual reset. That said, the system will still listen to additional colour change messages from this original device, for example if a spectator has selected green but then changed to blue and comes back to green as a later colour.

If you don't have push notifications enabled, the whole automatic colour message passing to your device process will not work. There is however, a built in workaround for this. You can tap the performance screen of Picasso and it'll go and fetch the currently selected colour.
If you tap the screen and get no update after changing colours, the reason is more than likely down to the system thinking another performance is in progress. Doing a manual reset will remedy this.

If a performance does not finish or you need to do a reset, you can do this by pressing and holding the performance screen. This'll send a message from Picasso to the server asking it to forget about the currently stored session ID, and a performance can begin with someone else, with the system open to a new pairing request.

These session IDs (the pairing) are only valid for about five minutes since the last message was received. Any longer than that and auto-reset kicks in.

Also a quick note about Haptic Feedback:
The haptic feedback engine (on all iOS devices and some android devices) is restricted by the operating system to the current foreground app, meaning that if Picasso is in the background you won't get the the haptic pattern feedback that you're used to when the app is in the foreground.
Banner notifications will also not show when the app is in the foreground on iOS devices at all. When Picasso is in the background on iOS, it will show if you have banner notifications for Picasso enabled in the Settings App -> Picasso -> Notifications.

I hope this explanation helps clear up a few things about how the underlying system works. If you're still having any issues or need one to one support, please don't hesitate to drop me an email at support@ellusionist.com and I'd be more than happy to help

-Will
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2341 Posts

Profile of 252life
Fantastic, thx for sharing the updates here and for all the continued work.

-Theodore Annemann
Yepski
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Yepski
Thank you Will- I always appreciate “the why”, thank you for taking the time
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1154 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
Banner notifications will also not show when the app is in the foreground on iOS devices at all.

I found a workaround loooong time ago. It was broken once by Apple but then fixed, so pretty reliable.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
The long message from Will above (about the underlying tech) is basically what he explained to me a couple of days ago. That really helped me understand the nuts & bolts and I, for one, appreciate Will taking the time to do it.

Thanks again, Will.

Mark
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1154 Posts

Profile of paperinick
The website is down... how often does it happen?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2341 Posts

Profile of 252life
Wow. Just checked and you are correct. Glad you posted that, I was planning on using it tonight

-Theodore Annemann
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Website is working for me. So, if it was down for everyone, it's back up now.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Picasso Pro App ||ProMystic x Ellusionist (203 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24~25~26 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL