The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conspiracy Theories » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16~17~18 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Coke vs Pepsi is an example of fuss over a false dichotomy.
[quote]On Sep 20, 2020, tommy wrote:
"From the day in 1942 when GEHLEN first articulated to WESSEL his conviction that Germany's defeat in World War II would be .../quote]The last days of 1941 were interesting with the tide starting to turn. What did he have in mind that was novel? How much of that stuck while the war shifted into efforts in the Pacific?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
Actually it was the CIA that wrote that not me.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/......0013.pdf

How is it a false dichotomy exactly?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Ah, paragraph 11 - thanks. 22 makes a different point. We can look back and see the European Union was not part of his thinking. More recent opinion: https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-t......0001.htm

I'm still missing what G presented that was novel. Was his information relevant after the war shifted focus into the Pacific?

I was equating buying into conspiracy stories without source data to soda brand comparisons based solely upon advertising. A couple of generations ago it was Flash Gordon vs Tarzan. Last generation it was Superman vs Batman. Essentially, it sold comic books. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
G may not have come up with the idea but he may have been privy to the plan that Tweedledum and Tweedledee came up with before they agreed to have a battle. We know that Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt were carving up the world long before the war ended and as a spymaster G might have got wind of it. In any event G was secretly flown to Washington a couple of weeks after Japan had surrendered, where he laid out his ideas which were accepted by Governments. Gs basic idea was that we in West must all work together to save western civilisation from communism. To this end we needed a CIA to coordinate the various intelligence services and so on. Leaders that came along afterwards who did go along with the G agenda were considered enemies.

JFK may have been one those enemies. The Soviets, according to the FBI, had infiltrated everybody in the USA; the government, the military, the intelligence, business, etcetera. With all these infiltrators then, the Soviets would have known if or not there had been a big conspiracy to assassinate JFK. Do you remember what the Soviets said on their state-controlled radio the day after the JFK assignation? I will tell what they said as I recall it; President Kennedy’s assassination they said was not the work of some lone radical but was the result of a large plot of racist fascists, opposed to President Kennedy’s policy of improving relations with the Soviet Union and carried out by a team of professionals and bells rang out all over the Soviet Union in honour of JFK. Moreover, the CIA had agents in Moscow reporting back that is just what the Russian government thought and so it was not just propaganda. This radio broadcast was reported on our news channels but I am sure about yours.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Thank you for recalling the events.

Late 1963 was a couple of years before "current events" gelled into personal narrative - reliably distinguishing events as recorded from those described or depicted.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

While Russia waits for things to thaw... and before news spreads about methane and ancient microorganisms spreading.

Here's some evidence... but of what?
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/......c-damage
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4973 Posts

Profile of landmark
I knew that name Raj Chetty was familiar but I couldn't remember why. Then I remembered when I got to 3/4 or so of the way down. I knew his name because he had authored a study about teacher effects that was quite controversial. While some in the education field challenged the quality of his data, I thought what was much more troubling was the solution he had come to--based on no data at all. After concluding that skilled teachers improved the overall earnings of his or her students, "Chetty has suggested school districts hold on to skilled teachers by tying pay or bonuses to performance."

Well there's the pitfall of following these data gurus. The data may be neutral (though it often is not) but the conclusions are often ideologically driven. Chetty was essentially re-hashing a false educational solution that has failed everywhere it has been tried--individual "merit pay." There's a lot of research on this--see Diane Ravitch--that "merit" pay does little to improve teacher quality. Why that's so is a whole other thread.
But the larger point is the number cruncher diagnosticians aren't always the best healers.

That is apparent too in his view of what's going on with COVID; he has lots of data that seems clear that the virus impacts lower income people much more than higher income people. And yet he comes to this conclusion: "“It’s not going to be a sustained recovery. There’s just no way,” he says. “We’re going to be stuck trying to go along and accept a fair number of Covid infections and deaths and muddle our way through until finally there’s a vaccine.”

Uh. No. That's not the only solution. That may be the only solution within the economic and political framework Chetty may function within (one evidently funded by Zuckerberg and Gates) but accepting tens or hundreds of thousands more deaths is not the only solution.

I'm not quite sure what any of this has to do with Conspiracy Theories, except to say that even massive amounts of data are often not the lever that change people's beliefs.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
I don’t think he says anything there that we did not already know and what it has to do with conspiracy theories I don’t know.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Fish bite at worms. Cats chase mice. People follow relevant story.

I was going for an easy example of conspiracy story on current events. Notice the call-to-action, claims of value based upon exclusivity ... and it looks like (in the genre of market tales) justification for selling puts.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you for the clear explanation.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
If you are looking current affairs, my son influenced the USA election last night; he tweeted a comment that the president stole shortly afterwards, so they say.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

What have we come to when "a little (blue) bird told me" is understood as word from the highest office?

Back to cabals, and conspiracy theories - from elsewhere:
Quote:
...it’s increasingly apparent that many of our official, evidence-based truth-seeking processes are, in fact, auctions for sale to the highest bidder.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
Earth is getting flatter and flatter every day; as Earth spins it is pulled wider and wider at the equator and the North and South poles get closer and closer to one another. Before you know it, North and South will become a dilemma.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Thank you Smile for the examples.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
While geophysicists are baffled as to why, I am baffled as to why not.

Christopher Cox, a geophysicist contracted by NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, says It was a complete surprise that the bulge at the Earth’s equator is now getting bigger. “It has taken a few years for us to convince ourselves that what we’re seeing is real.”

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2......ZZfNuvDe

Now who is rational and who is not?

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 30, 2020, tommy wrote:
While geophysicists are baffled as to why, I am baffled as to why not.
How so?

Wonderful to see available data leading to surprising questions Smile.

If something is spinning around an axis you'd expect some force due to the acceleration away from that axis. Where we are does not seem to have such a large radius, low mass density, or high angular velocity.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
Data has not necessarily been brought down from the mountain caved in stone; data can be true or false or an illusion which is a combination of both.

Ask not what data can do for you ask what you can do for data. Smile

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16046 Posts

Profile of tommy
Palantir Police State Wizardry Goes Public and JTs old, old news psyop tactic, exposed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAHbjMXcz40

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4973 Posts

Profile of landmark
"Its always good financial advice to invest in a CIA backed company~"

Most of them time, but sometimes they have to be disappeared.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Guess/test: AOC sour gripes announce PLTR going public. ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Conspiracy Theories » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (25 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL