The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm here to help! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicwithTom
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of MagicwithTom
Hey guys,

I hope you are all doing well.

My name is Tom and I am professional magician. I have been learning magic for the last 19 years and absolutely love it!

I am thinking of creating some content for you guys to help you out with your magic. So I know how to best to serve you, I was wondering what are your frustrations when learning magic?

What have you tried before that did not work?

What are your biggest challenges when learning magic or with magic in general? And what do you want to help you with those problems?

Also, what is your biggest dream or goal when learning magic?

I really appreciate the feedback. This way I know how to best serve you guys and give what you want or need.

I can't wait to make some content for you!

Feel free to message me privately too If you don't want to reply here Smile

All the best,

Tom
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Tom, what are your thoughts on this statement:

Professionals perform a few different tricks to a lot of different people, whereas amateurs perform a lot of different tricks to the same few people.

You're a professional, so does that mean your approach to learning new material is going to be quite different from the perspective of those of us who are hobbyists or amateurs?
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
Hellomtom and thank you for making us beginners feel so welcomed!
I have something I keep struggling with and feel I don't see enough written about it.
False in the hand shuffles. The so called block shuffle just seems bad and I don't really see any other candidates that pass for looking like a real, good proper shuffle.
Can you help me with this?
Thank you.
Im sure I have many more questions on lots of topics but that's the thing that is in my head right now and has bugged me for a while..!
Just interested to hear your take and what you do as a solution to not shuffling a full stack but making it look like you are shuffling.
Paul.
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of TheMetalMagician
Hi Tom, I am going to attempt to answer each question specifically and in turn:

Quote:
1. What are your frustrations when learning magic?
2. What have you tried before that did not work?
3. What are your biggest challenges when learning magic or with magic in general? And what do you want to help you with those problems?
4. Also, what is your biggest dream or goal when learning magic?

1. Trying to learn a sleight or effect or technique from a book and/or videos (that is, with no personal one-on-one tutelage), putting in the hours to practice not knowing if the hours are totally wasted time, i.e. am I doing it completely wrong, is there one little tweak someone knowledgeable could make that would accelerate my learning curve etc.
2. I went to a magic shop and said, "I'm looking to get started in magic - what do you recommend?" and he "recommended" that I buy a bunch of stuff without really giving me any guidance at all. I was disappointed.
3. I think I answered that in #1. I like to post videos of myself for admonishment - often someone sees one little thing that they're able to tell me. I am lucky enough to have a good friend who has been doing magic for over 15 years who is willing to do Zoom lessons with me, and I almost always feel a night and day difference before and after those 1 on 1 lessons.
4. I want to do tricks for the people who arrive at rock and metal concerts 4+ hours early to help pass their waiting time to get into the show. Doing tricks for people waiting in line at Six Flags is also on my to-do list.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
What are your frustrations when learning magic?
I've been wishing to find some good study guides to help organize my approach to learning. Everyone has their own opinion of what is "essential" or "the bible of" some particular subject.

What have you tried before that did not work?
I've bought books which I haven't gotten to dive into completely.

What are your biggest challenges when learning magic or with magic in general? And what do you want to help you with those problems?
I wish I had a close friend to learn with. It's difficult to learn from books/dvds and the local magic club is great. It would be nice to learn this along with someone else at my skill level.

Also, what is your biggest dream or goal when learning magic?
This is a hobby for me. I would like to get a good foundation of card and coin handling mechanics before diving much deeper into particular tricks.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I guess MagicwithTom the OP is MIA or has left the building along with Elvis.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On May 29, 2020, davidpaul$ wrote:
I guess MagicwithTom the OP is MIA or has left the building along with Elvis.

I think you might be right. This user posted this exact same message onto another Magic forum, to which I belong. Coincidentally enough, both messages were posted on exactly the same day. This user has not been active on the other forum either, since the original post. I'd be cautious, this user could be a direct descendant of "Shrek".

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, I too question the OPs experience and intent. For someone supposedly doing this for 19 years he shouldn't need to be asking these questions. It seems he may have been positioning to sell something eventually as well.
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
He's got a great disappearing act.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
Well, at least he got people talking.
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2020, bassinator wrote:
Well, at least he got people talking.

That's true!
And to respond to your previous post in the thread, I agree with what you're saying. Magic is a hobby to me and I practice and study a lot. I wish I had more people to perform and practice with in the meantime. Right now I'm really working on my card magic. My color changes especially. I realized my eyes but out when I see a good one so that's what I've been trying to focus on lately.
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I certainly wish I had more time to study and practice. My wife can only tolerate so much from me lol. And I am stuck in this situation where I don't want to show her or any of my coworkers (which are my other guinea pigs) anything that isn't ready. It's tougher to recognize if I am doing something wrong or could improve.

I've been getting more into coin magic lately and it's been difficult to tell if I'm being natural or if my palms are convincing. One of my next goals is to really set up a dedicated place to practice in my home.
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
I totally know what you mean. My wife, kids, and co-workers are my only audience so far and even though they're all very enthusiastic, I know they wish they could burn my decks of cards sometimes!
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
I can almost see my wife roll her eyes before I have the sentence out. . . She swears she never rolls her eyes but bah! I saw it!
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On May 15, 2020, HofzinsersFan wrote:
Hellomtom and thank you for making us beginners feel so welcomed!
I have something I keep struggling with and feel I don't see enough written about it.
False in the hand shuffles. The so called block shuffle just seems bad and I don't really see any other candidates that pass for looking like a real, good proper shuffle.
Can you help me with this?
Thank you.
Im sure I have many more questions on lots of topics but that's the thing that is in my head right now and has bugged me for a while..!
Just interested to hear your take and what you do as a solution to not shuffling a full stack but making it look like you are shuffling.
Paul.

When you're over, I'll show you the shuffles I use, and some applications.

Jim
TheMetalMagician
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of TheMetalMagician
To bassinator, dustrod and HofzinsersFan: Based on what you've each said I thought you might identify with this: Early in my magic "career" I had a really bad habit of rushing out to perform tricks for friends and family before I truly had them down to where I could perform them error-free on demand. Obviously that can result in accidentally revealing the secret which ruins the magic of the performance for them, but it also makes them "roll their eyes" when I want to show them another one, i.e. "Oh boy, here he comes again". I haven't completely kicked that habit but I've gotten better about it.

Lately I've also slowed down the increase of volume of new tricks. I don't necessarily feel like I made a mistake in the beginning trying to learn a lot of things at once, because magic is just a hobby for me and I was having fun. I haven't completely stopped learning new tricks but I'm spending a lot more time re-practicing tricks I learned a long time ago to make sure my skillset doesn't get "stale". Hope that made sense.
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
That totally makes sense to me and I definitely relate with that. Thanks for sharing that.
After I finish some of my current reading I plan to go back to all of my notes I've been taking and reviewing everything I've learned. I've been taking extensive notes and writing down all of my favorite new effects!
bassinator
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
86 Posts

Profile of bassinator
I totally see where you're coming from. I almost have the opposite problem though.I feel so worried about doing the trick perfectly that I'm usually hesitant to even do them. I feel like I have learned a lot in the past year but I don't have a lot to show for it. I've got a handful of tricks I can do pretty well to show people, but its tough finding that next trick worthy enough to spend the time perfecting.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think in the beginning many are in a hurry to learn and execute a trick or skill, rather than taking the time and effort to understand the difference between this and actually "performing" the trick or skill.

One of the things rarely talked about is developing poor or bad skills from doing it this way or perhaps incorrectly from the beginning, as it becomes much harder later to try and change this.

In a perfect scenario, one would learn to "perform" a skill or effect at the same time learning it from the beginning (same for the business aspects of magic as well).
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
I think in the beginning many are in a hurry to learn and execute a trick or skill, rather than taking the time and effort to understand the difference between this and actually "performing" the trick or skill.

One of the things rarely talked about is developing poor or bad skills from doing it this way or perhaps incorrectly from the beginning, as it becomes much harder later to try and change this.

In a perfect scenario, one would learn to "perform" a skill or effect at the same time learning it from the beginning (same for the business aspects of magic as well).

Totally. That makes a lot of sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm here to help! (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL