The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Millie Small (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
May 5: The Jamaican singer who recorded "My Boy Lollipop" in 1964 with the first time many of us Americans heard the Ska/Reggae beat. Reading her bio and the story of the song itself was a fascinating tale. Originally written by Bobby Spencer of the Cadillacs ("Speedo") in 1956, "My Boy Lollipop" had a New Orleans shuffle which sounded almost reggae-like; and was recorded by a white teenager named Bobby Gaye (whom I couldn't find any current bio about). The song credits were " stolen" (I mean bought) by a couple of men who shopped it to Alan Freed. But later in 1964, it got picked up by Jamaican record execs and voila, the Millie Small version became a huge international hit. Millie had an off and on career; and at one point was living in a hostel with her daughter in 1987. But later, her contributions just from that one song brought her accolades til the end of her life, alas from a stroke. Lynn
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
That is sad news. I know that song really well but I think that is the first time I saw her sing it. Thank you.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you for posting the video, Landmark. I was not familiar with her, but what a lovely, joyous performer she was!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Yes, thank you Landmark. That 1973 stage performance was just the best. Lynn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » RIP Millie Small (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL