The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New magic app SimpleDraw: Peek what a spectator draws on their phone (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
iamferraz
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of iamferraz
Quote:
On May 21, 2020, itsmagic wrote:
Makes no sense.

Mentalist: I will read your mind or predict the outcome. In order for me to do that, go to this website to draw and color something.
Spec: Really? Do you think I'm stupid?

If you present like that... I totally agree... but you agree that you will be a terrible magician? Push your imagination you can do better!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1901 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I like it!
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of dyoung
People need to stop being so delusional. if you genuinely think your audience wont make the connection between you asking them to go to a website and draw something, and you getting it. then good for you! tell me a situation where this makes actual sense.

all the best,
Dan
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of rasp
Dyoung, carry on doing your own thing, I'm sure you are very good at it.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
It's a tool towards an end. It won't be for everyone. If you cannot think of a use for it then move along. If you are a little creative you may find this is a tool you will use. At the end of the day though, it's just another tool. Some will like it, some won't. Some will see several uses, some will see none. That's how magic goes.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of dyoung
No, Im terrible at what Im doing Smile I just see a very limited scope for this, that's all. I think it could work socially I guess. Why do you know about this doodle website? Do you often doodle on your phone? Those would be things to consider.

All the best,
Dan
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of rasp
I am a digital artist and have a website. My intention is to create a page briefly explaining 'Colour Theory and Intuition' there are reasons why certain people choose certain colours, and why companies spend millions researching colours for advertising.......... that is why the iconic Coke can is red. The link will be added to the page as a simple fun test.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Lost on a Green Screen
248 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
I'm on a military base in the Middle East. On Thursday I took the shuttle bus down to the city. On occasion the military directs the shuttle service to take 'alternate' routes to the city. Thursday, our driver took the upmost possible longest route (he added 20 miles) to the city (he went left to eventually turn right). Our bus follows a preset schedule (always), the bus is 'marked', and anyone wanting to track us from base departure would have a very easy task regardless of whatever path the bus took.

So... while I was sitting in the bus (with mask and social distancing) this App popped into my mind. If you are willing to put in a lot of misdirection, audience management, and are willing to go waaaaaaaaaaaaay left to eventually go right (that may or may not fool those tracking) ... this may be for you.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I have had the chance to compare this to Picasso Pro, and here are my thoughts.

First, both apps do essentially the same thing, with simple draw allowing a drawing duplication effect on top of color match.
Picasso Pro handles the color match effect expertly, and the way it transmits the information to the performer is lacking in simple draw. While both also offer a visual way to get the information, I have to give the points to Picasso Pro here, as it is not only more hidden and deceptive but easier to view. My eye sight is not as good as it used to be and I did have concerns with the visual information with Simple Draw.

The price difference is also a big deal, but I suspect this is simply because Ellusionist has more available to maintain it's servers so they are able to offer a lower price.

It really boils down to what you are going to be doing. For the color match routine I would suggest Picasso Pro. If you are wanting to perform drawing duplications I still say that SimpleDraw is a great way to go, although I do think it is priced a bit high.

I will be using both though, in different situations depending on what I am doing. Its always good to have multiple tools in your toolbox, and SimpleDraw is a worthy tool, even if there are a few issues with it.
iamferraz
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of iamferraz
Quote:
On May 24, 2020, Chaz93 wrote:
I have had the chance to compare this to Picasso Pro, and here are my thoughts.

First, both apps do essentially the same thing, with simple draw allowing a drawing duplication effect on top of color match.
Picasso Pro handles the color match effect expertly, and the way it transmits the information to the performer is lacking in simple draw. While both also offer a visual way to get the information, I have to give the points to Picasso Pro here, as it is not only more hidden and deceptive but easier to view. My eye sight is not as good as it used to be and I did have concerns with the visual information with Simple Draw.

The price difference is also a big deal, but I suspect this is simply because Ellusionist has more available to maintain it's servers so they are able to offer a lower price.

It really boils down to what you are going to be doing. For the color match routine I would suggest Picasso Pro. If you are wanting to perform drawing duplications I still say that SimpleDraw is a great way to go, although I do think it is priced a bit high.

I will be using both though, in different situations depending on what I am doing. It's always good to have multiple tools in your toolbox, and SimpleDraw is a worthy tool, even if there are a few issues with it.

Hi Chaz,

Plz let me know what I need to improve to you get the information in a more simple way! About comparison with PicassoPro I need to be clear, I didn't develop this app to be a rival of PicassoPro, if with my app you can do the "same thing" as Picasso its a complete luck... When I created this app, my Idea was to stole any information from the spectator, numbers, letters, words, drawings... And the painting tools were only the "way" that I thought to be less suspicious...
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Sent ya a PM Smile
iamferraz
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of iamferraz
Guys!!! A super new feature!!!
Now you are able to cover using a fake phone home screen!!! I'm still working on that, so, some bugs may appear... The home screens are fixed, so, you CAN'T customize! I didn't test at small screens, so, give me the feedback!!!

I have the video tutorial, just ask, and I pm!
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
975 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On May 18, 2020, dyoung wrote:
But in real life, you could hide it in your case or somewhere sneaky. don't you feel that the audience would think it's exactly what it is, if you did it online?

All the best,
Dan

Absolutely Dan. It’s so unbelievably obvious.
No chance that it would work for any show.
It remains a website, doesn’t matter how you structure your sequence.
It clearly lacks of any logic.

Whatever your sequence looks like, your participant will ask himself:
„Why did I need to draw it on a website?
Online... in times where everything and everyone is connected.
I don’t blame the creator for trying to get your cash but from performer view this is clearly nonsense.

BTW. I think online shows doing no good for our art.
People would crave for live shows when the crisis is over.
Why people choose to to throw oneself at spectators and don’t profit from absence.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
582 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Just as a sidenote on Online Shows ArtIn... Im sure they all want to do real live shows, but they have to online in order to pay their rent and buy their food.

All the best,
Dan
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of rasp
Artin, that is just your opinion and maybe a valid one for the way you choose to perform. But, for someone with some imagination and the ability to perform well it does work. I know Matthew Wright has used it in his online show and is getting great reactions.
cardistry master
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
You can use it with apple watch or any other smartwatch that lets you open links which is awesome. I made a short video and if you want to see it you can message me as I don't want to post it on an open forum.
ArtIn
View Profile
Special user
Berlin
975 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On May 26, 2020, rasp wrote:
Artin, that is just your opinion and maybe a valid one for the way you choose to perform. But, for someone with some imagination and the ability to perform well it does work. I know Matthew Wright has used it in his online show and is getting great reactions.

A common problem is that so much performers seem to underestimate the imagination and intelligence of their spectators.
I don’t know where that comes from. Often it is pure hybris.
Some seem to be delusional or just feel the need to defend their latest purchase/toy.

I don’t want to underestimate the creativity of the users here!
My points remain valid and unanswered.
Nobody here shared a subtle approach or application that makes sense. Not even the creator.

At least Ellusionist was upfront by showing the original ColorMatch routine and additionally Peter Turners clever performance (with a Colin Cloud approach).

“You need to be creative and a good performer to make it work“ is a thought-terminating cliché Rasp.

I don’t know what The Marvelous Matthew Wright has done with it but I don’t remember him beeing a Mentalist.
When the screens go off I hardly believe people will say: “the drawing website thing really got me - I have no clue“.
Iam not as uncreative as you might think.

Are you friends with the creator Rasp?

@dyoung, I understand the need of securing one's livelihood. It’s a terrible time.
There are many performers who have bad video/audio equipment (Insider: and don‘t beg other people to fund it for them), wrongly constructed routines and who are doing it for free. Maybe out of good intentions but with a horrible result.
Just because it can be done doesn’t meant it’s a good thing to do it.

All the best
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of rasp
Artin..... That all sounds wonderful.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Having both Simpledraw and Picasso, I have to say I am more and more impressed with Simpledraw and Andre every day, whereas Picasso is "neat". Picasso allows you to perform Color Match with the blessing of the creator. It doesn't currently allow (on android, seems there may have been an iOS update but I use android so I don't know for sure) you to upload your own images as templates, or to view the image the participant draws. Simple Draw allows you to do a Color Match routine with either visual cues, audio cues, or vib******* cues (android only for the later). On top of this it has supported the inclusion of your own templates since I first started using it, if not day one - a feature that picasso is lacking and people obviously want. It also include multiple ways of getting the visual p**k, and with the new updates to the covert screens it makes getting the information simple and easy.

As far as how to perform it - come on guys. Think of it like an imp pad. Anything you can do with an imp pad can now be done without the need of paper, or pen. An example premise would be:

"So, I used to do this with a notepad but considering germs and the like I thought it best to do away from them. Do you have your phone? Ok I just sent you a link, click on it and you should see a drawing app load up. Got it? Groovy. Alright now *Insert Drawing Duplication Script* and when it's done make sure you lock the screen so it's black and I can't see what you've drawn. In fact go ahead and hold the screen to your chest just to be sure.

At this point the performer takes out his phone, which has been in his pocket the entire time, unlocks it and opens a drawing app. In that action the mentalist has acquired all the information he needs to duplicate their exact drawing.

With Simpledraw you will know:

1. Whether they are looking at a pre-loaded image, or drawing a custom image. And, if looking at a pre-drawn image you will instantly know which one.
2. What color they are currently using to draw - allowing you several hits in the mind reading process
3. What they are drawing in real time, as you have the option to watch the entire time they draw.

Aside from these features, you also can upload your own templates and assign how many times they must click the button before it appears. This can be useful for forcing a specific drawing and making it feel fair.

Andre has been listening to comments and over the last week alone has significantly improved this app. These are not updates or bug fixes, but rather introductions of new features based on what his customers request. He has taken customer support and interaction to a whole new level.

If you are performing via Zoom or the like, this makes an excellent P$ tool to be used while people are arriving. Simply have someone make the drawing on their phone as the rest of the audience connects to the call, and you are ahead of the game.

Simpledraw is great as of the time of writing, but knowing how quickly Andre is to implement new things I predict it will only get better.

Whilst I wish Andre and his team all the success in the world, part of me does want this to remain underground because yeah, I kind of want to be the only one doing this.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
When comparing these, aren't they totally different effects? Apples to oranges?

One allows a very fair prediction (it's there/done before you start ), the other a way to know during/after the fact (live peeking for a duplication). Two completely different effects I thought.

For the one, you can fairly predict what they'll do (mail it to them if you want), for the other, you can fairly reveal what they've done, but restricted to real time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New magic app SimpleDraw: Peek what a spectator draws on their phone (38 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL