The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Ickle Pickle spring loaded cube (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Hello, I'm after some advice about the 6 inch I.P. spring loaded cube. how many silks do yo usually use and how do you load them...fold them all flat individually, fold flat in one bunch, etc, thanks for your help, ( also posted on the childrens entertainer section )
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is no such thing on Ickle Pickle's website. You are posting a question for something that does not exist. When posting a question, please have your information correct and reference the web page when possible.

You are asking secret questions. If you had read the rules of the Café, you should know it is not permitted to discuss "How To" questions in open forums. There is a secret topic that you can post such questions.

You are asking about silks, there is a silk section on the Café. Please try to put your questions in the correct topic. That would be Smooth As Silk in this case.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Hi piper. I have the non-spring loaded cube from IP and the load area is very small. The items to appear really need to be able to go completely flat. I try to roll the silk so that it expands a bit when it appears. I only use one silk. Depending on the size cube and the size silks you could use more. I think I have the 4” cube.

It’s a really cool trick, happens so fast it really does look like magic.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Hey bill-

Here it is on Ickle pickles website. - http://www.icklepicklemagic.com/store/in......rch=Cube

Also... it’s a box. This is the correct thread for boxes.
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Thanks thomas
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
212 Posts

Profile of robertwong
I use mine to produce a 36" silk with no problems. Unfortunately I have never tried to produce more than one silk as the load area is not very big.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Piperdod,

Back in 1962 there was magic magazine published for the general public called the Magic Handbook by Science and Mechanics magazine. It was a wonderful book on how to build and make many magic tricks for stage and close-up as well as impromptu effects. In this paperback book, it explains how to make The Crystal Casket on page 29. It was made using glass, tape and a polished metal cookie sheet, back then they made cookie sheets for baking cookies that had a mirror like finish. Today, all the cookie sheets I have seen are not mirror finishes and in some cases not even metal. There was no Plexiglas sheeting back then as of yet available to the general public.

This publication is still available in PDF format from Lybrary.com . I is a wonderful booklet with workshop plans on how to build many classic magic props, it you have access to a bench saw and and shop tools. My father was a Cabinet maker and had the necessary tools to make several of the props in the book.

Over the years, classic magic props had certain names they were called, prop names were not constantly changed by different manufacturers. After all how could magicians communicate when the names used were changed by every manufacturer. So I guess, Ickle Pickle took it upon themselves because they made the this prop out of clear plastic sheeting, that they would change the name of this classic prop. I guess the 21st Century will ring in with changing the name of the magic props for today.

Ickle Pickle is not the only manufacturer doing this, as in the silk section there is a lengthy discussion on the Demon Wonder Box from the days of Vaudeville performers. Today the manufacturer calls it Magic Silk Box. So if a magician would want to find a non collectors Demon Wonder Box (as the price is 7 times the price of the current Magic Silk Box how could anyone find the prop to perform Jonathon Neal Brown's Wonderful new routine he created for this production prop from the vaudeville days of entertainment for the public.

Now to answer your question on preparing the load of silks. I have found the best tool to load silks is a very cheap Chinese Chop sticks found at most Chinese Restaurants, with blunt ends so as not to damage the silks. Also you may find a wooden paint stir stick would be handy to push the silks toward the bottom of load area. You may have to sand the end of the stir stick to remove any roughness of the wood. For this prop, you push portions of silk a little at a time into the chamber. Do not stuff them in to tightly, just enough so they combine with the rest of the silk. You will need some pressure so they "POP" into the cube when the release is activated. Don't worry about the wrinkles in the silks as your practice loading sessions will help loosen up the stiffing they put in the new silks, and they will fade away with use.

Another way to present this effect, is if you have an assistant, they can hold the empty (?) cube, and you vanish a silk (use your favorite method), gesture toward the box and the silk instantly appears in the cube moments later. You walk to the assistant and remove the silk from the cube.
piperdod
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of piperdod
Thanks for all your help, I have just tried and tested another method that seems to work better for me. I fold all the silks (6)in a flower method, tie with a slip knot using heavy duty thread, place in box, tilt it so they slide to the bottom, secure with prop and then just pull the thread out
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22360 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just so you know, the idea of stuffing the silks is so that the silks "pop out" and fill the entire inside of the cube. If your fold causes opens all the silks to open and fill the cube so the audience sees them before you remove them from the cube, then it should be okay.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Ickle Pickle spring loaded cube (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL