The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Filming sleight of hand practice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brn2rnjk1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of brn2rnjk1
I am a beginner trying to retake up magic after 40 years. I want to use an iphone or ipad to view my practice of various card and ball/coin sleights. Has anyone found a good way to do this. Having an issue on how to get the angle best.

Thanks for anyhelp.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
It's a little difficult in some ways. Many times there are spectators to your extreme right or left or behind and not ALWAYS head on.
Some people practice with a mirror but that leads to the same issues. Like most demo videos on the popular magic selling sites
like Penguin, Vanishing Inc, MJM, Hocus Pocus etc. they are geared to you you watching from your device. I would just use your
Iphone or Ipad from a distance that is casual and head on. If you KNOW there are angle issues just be aware and adjust accordingly
at the appropriate time by shifting your body. I've been caught palming a card when out in the real world because of the angle
of that one person in the group. ( They had no problem letting me know)

Experience in the real world in front of real people will be your best teacher. Sure, film yourself to see what the effect is supposed to look like
and to evaluate your timing, un-natural or jerky movements and to just get a feel. After that there are too many variables when in the trenches to think
that filming yourself is the end all.

Welcome back to Magic after 40 years. Congratulations!!
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
kcmagic1
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of kcmagic1
I would try to do many takes. Well, probably 5 takes. If at all possible, I would make sure that the camera was able to capture your entire body. I would video from straight on, slightly to the right nd left nd them from the extreme right and left. If you plan on working surrounded, then do more from the back side. That should give you a pretty good idea as to what the audience will see.
Designer of the 1000-G cups - the most durable cups in magic www.kristiancharles.com/1000-g
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
The use of video equipment can be a valuable training tool - in many ways superior to a set of mirrors.

However, magic occurs in an observer's mind as a function of "perception" rather than "what is seen."

Thus, video based training should never replace a "dress rehearsal" with live audience or "training buddy."

Another danger is that a good effect may be rejected because of the limited view of the camera and repeat viewings.

Many sleights and psychological ploys do not always "play well" on video but are perfect live.

To paraphrase a thought from an Australian Education seminar, "Learning magic tricks on video only prepares you to perform magic tricks on video."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Filming sleight of hand practice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL