The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Virtual Out Of This World by Adrian Lacroix (ZOOM MAGIC) (34 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
petnard
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of petnard
Quote:
On May 28, 2020, avimag51 wrote:

Quote:
i know some methods of OOTW but none of them let you do it with a real shuffle deck.
is the AD description not accurate ?

Actually, there is My Way Out Of This World by Larry Hass (also on Penguin) that allows spectator to shuffle the deck first. So how does the "Virtual" version fit in with this one? Anybody have both Virtual and Hass's My Way Out to compare?
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
I believe the methods are different and Larry’s is more of a in person version and the virtual version is better for online uses.
And as for the AD description, the deck can be mixed under a controlled shuffle.
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
538 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Larry's version (and the similar Harry Lorrayne and Gary Oullette versions...) all work with a shuffled deck, but cannot be done virtually over video conference (i.e., there are things the magician must handle). So this is something different.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1632 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
The only thing I want to know is if the spectators have to separate all the reds and blacks before starting the effect...
avimag51
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of avimag51
In Larry Hass's method the shuffle not relevant , cause after the shuffle the performer is the one that holds the cards and decide which card to take out , and the spectator decide if it red or black .very obvious method. in Adrian's method as it shown on the video , the spectator picks the cards face down after he shuffled . big different. a full uncut video performence will help to decide if its good or not.
avimag51
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of avimag51
Larry's version (and the similar Harry Lorrayne and Gary Oullette versions...) all work with a shuffled deck, but cannot be done virtually over video conference (i.e., there are things the magician must handle). So this is something different. [/quote]

Harry Lorayne " out of this universe " is great cause its includes several real riffle shuffles ( can done by spectator ) , but its have to start while the deck is in a unique situation.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
769 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
To summarise, the core of this version is Paul Curry's classic OOTW.
You are paying for a hand-free way to do the final clean-up and the initial set-up (with the participant's deck).

If I were to perform in person, with a shuffled deck and not over zoom, I would probably use a clean-up were the performer touches the cards (as it is incidental) but I might use a variation of this set-up (with some involvement of the performer to speed up things and improve the illusion of red-black separation).
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12049 Posts

Profile of John C
As far as virtual I don't see the downside to performing your favorite ootw for your spec on the other side of the camera. They can make all the decisions.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2404 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I agree with a John C on this. Classic OOTW is a very good Zoom trick
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
Liked the thinking on this one, a clever and devious method at play here and loved the routining of this, which makes the spectator management easier. Overall I think its very well thought out.
Whilst classic OOTW can be performed over Skype or Zoom this in my opinion would play stronger as the spectator really does all the work.
I think it is well worth $9.50 or £8
strategus
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of strategus
I purchased Virtual Out of this World. I'm a fan of the plot and already use several methods, but I felt it was still worth it. You get:

1) a clever reason for getting a spectator to set the deck up for you
2) a pretty good mid-routine convincer that the deck is shuffled
3) fairly tidy clean-up at the end
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
So I had time to test run this 4 times in total. One was for the Wife test. Which normally mine isn’t much of a potty mouth. But all I could get from her was WTF.... NO, I’m SERIOUS LONNIE. WTF. The other reactions were not as strong as hers but were still great reactions. I am in love with this method. Going into my Virtual Shows immediately.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I picked this up.

I applaud the creative effort put into this. At the same time however, I don't think that having the participant openly separating the deck into the 4 suits before you begin is a good idea as I strongly feel that any person with reasonable intelligence will understand that this clearly has something to do with how it is accomplished - and they'd be right. Not to mention that doing so is also not terribly interesting or fun; OOTW is already long enough as it as and I'd rather not have to subject participants to having to sort out the entire deck before we even begin. They may not understand exactly how it worked, but the fact that there is something which sticks out like a sore thumb destroys the illusion and reduces it to a puzzle. There are also a few moments in this which don't really make a lot of sense. Not saying it's terrible, but it's not my cup of tea. Possessing a method for achieving an effect under difficult conditions doesn't automatically mean it's ideal.
There is a road - no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night. And if you go, no one may follow; that path is for your steps alone.
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
235 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
That's it. Thanks Sudo.
That's the bit of info which was not being put forward all along in the thread. THE HELPER MUST SEPARATE THE DECK INTO 4 SUITS FIRST.
Well then, this is not for me.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
As I said before, there is a method but anything that would be considered dirty work is done by the spectator and it happens very early so it is forgotten. It's also a clever addition to the method.
P3
practice practice perform.
Arielhamui
View Profile
New user
Buenos Aires, Argentina
48 Posts

Profile of Arielhamui
Guys check this out!
Another review of this amazing trick! Is now n1 in penguin magic!

novasteeple
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of novasteeple
Quote:
On May 29, 2020, Sudo Nimh wrote:
At the same time however, I don't think that having the participant openly separating the deck into the 4 suits before you begin is a good idea as I strongly feel that any person with reasonable intelligence will understand that this clearly has something to do with how it is accomplished - and they'd be right. Not to mention that doing so is also not terribly interesting or fun; OOTW is already long enough as it as and I'd rather not have to subject participants to having to sort out the entire deck before we even begin.

Since you've exposed this part of the method, I'll add that although I also thought this would be tedious and obvious, spectators have found it fun so far when I've performed it. It's presented as a challenge to see if the spectator can beat the "average" time of 45 seconds to deal the suits. It's also psychologically different to deal the suits than to just deal red and black, and when the four piles are legitimately shuffled together it avoids suspicion.

I performed for a solo spectator who is very competitive and was determined to beat the time (she did). Then I performed for a group of magicians, and they spent the whole time egging on the one doing the separation and laughing about his time. The separation part actually got better reactions than the effect, since they all instantly recognized the traditional OOTW part. My point is that you shouldn't be deterred from buying or performing this presentation just because the spectator has to separate the cards. It's motivated, and it's more fun than you'd expect.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Quote:
On May 30, 2020, ted french wrote:
As I said before, there is a method but anything that would be considered dirty work is done by the spectator and it happens very early so it is forgotten. It's also a clever addition to the method.

That’s a massive presumption to say that it will simply “be forgotten”. I don’t believe that at all to be the case. I think a lot of magicians fool themselves believing that people simply forget everything. Sure, some people forget some things, but I guarantee that many, many people recall a lot more than we sometimes like to pretend.
It's all in the reflexes.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
According to the PM I just received from the creator, answering the question as to whether or not the deck must be colour separated before beginning constitutes "exposure" despite the fact that the question was posed by others in the thread earlier and that it is an absolutely fair and legitimate question.

Really? OK. Forget I said anything earlier then and let me amend my former thoughts:

"This is a totally new way to accomplish OOTW, guys. The deck doesn't have to be colour separated before beginning and they can even shuffle the deck! It's an absolute bonafide, genuine, miracle!"

There. Better?

If anything is "exposure" here, it's the actual method behind OOTW to participants. Apparently, being honest with your fellow magicians that this separation needs to occur (in order for them to make an informed buying decision) is a "no-no" because none of them are familiar with OOTW already, right? Making them believe otherwise (for the sake of sales) is (apparently) more important.
There is a road - no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night. And if you go, no one may follow; that path is for your steps alone.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2020, Sudo Nimh wrote:
According to the PM I just received from the creator, answering the question as to whether or not the deck must be colour separated before beginning constitutes "exposure" despite the fact that the question was posed by others in the thread earlier and that it is an absolutely fair and legitimate question.

Really? OK. Forget I said anything earlier then and let me amend my former thoughts:

"This is a totally new way to accomplish OOTW, guys. The deck doesn't have to be colour separated before beginning and they can even shuffle the deck! It's an absolute bonafide, genuine, miracle!"

There. Better?

If anything is "exposure" here, it's the actual method behind OOTW to participants. Apparently, being honest with your fellow magicians that this separation needs to occur (in order for them to make an informed buying decision) is a "no-no" because none of them are familiar with OOTW already, right? Making them believe otherwise (for the sake of sales) is (apparently) more important.

Where before your post is it revealed that the spectator has to separate the reds and blacks? I believe a question was asked but I do not believe it was answered. I may be wrong but if I am correct in that assessment of this you were the first to EXPOSE the separating of the red and black. So the poster was correct in your post as exposure. Also I have no idea why your feathers are so ruffled. WE do not expose methods here. It is magicians helping magicians, not magicians exposing magic. Also I would assume that most if not all magicians reading about this would realize what would have to be done and realize it is NOT REAL MAGIC. The method is how one gets the spectator to accomplish this. Having said all of that again I just wonder why you feathers are so ruffled when you were told that your post was exposure..IT WAS.

Also it seems as if your feelinigs were hurt and you were very sarcastic inyou rresponse. Come on guy don't be so sensistive.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Virtual Out Of This World by Adrian Lacroix (ZOOM MAGIC) (34 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL